MOTHER Hisshou Kouryaku Game Guide Kanzen Book Japan Famicom RARE JN*

October 31st, 2009 | EarthBound, Fan Games, Hacking

Today is Halloween, so it’s a good time to post some Halloweeny stuff! So my obvious choice was Radiation’s Halloween hack of EarthBound from last year. As far as EarthBound hacks go, it’s really advanced and complete. It even has custom music, which is crazy hard to hack in EarthBound 8O

It’s probably important to mention that the hack does have horror and mature themes, so if those things offend/scare you, stay away :P

Download EarthBound Halloween hack + making of + strategy guide!
Download Easy EarthBound Patcher program – use to apply the hack
or
Download prepatched version

The game’s kind of tough, but also nice and creepy. And funny. It’s a lot of things!

63 Comments to EarthBound Halloween Hack!

Ice Sage said on Oct. 31, 2009

Oh good, I’ll have something to do today. This looks really fun!

NessLucas-zero said on Oct. 31, 2009

God this is awesome!

sticktendo said on Oct. 31, 2009

Ooh, I was just playing this. So good…

Anonymous said on Oct. 31, 2009

Cool, I wish I could hack

EBfan565 said on Oct. 31, 2009

OOOooooooh, looks cool.

Anonymous said on Oct. 31, 2009

The “prepached” version doesn’t have the hack, its just normal earthbound rom.

Sisto said on Oct. 31, 2009

Radiation showed it during his GPP. It look so good and I really wanted to play it, so I decided to download it myself. If you haven’t played it yet, you’re really missing out.

Mato said on Oct. 31, 2009

I reuploaded the prepatched version, it should work right but let me know if it doesn’t.

Hatchan said on Oct. 31, 2009

TONIGHT COMES THE WITCHING HOUR

PUPPIES SCREAM,
CHILDREN COWER!

Hatchan said on Oct. 31, 2009

hey cool itoi’s website has some live halloween thing :3 http://www.1101.com/Halloween/6th/live2009.html

GoldenEevee said on Oct. 31, 2009

this hack was made sometime after the Mother 3 translation was finished, I played the uncut version, it was awesome, but creepy, I had nightmares the first time I played it, and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Felipe said on Oct. 31, 2009

I can’t get the game to load. Anyway, I won’t have time to play it today because I have a Halloween Party :)

SamWibatt said on Oct. 31, 2009

How awesome! I, too, have a party to go to but I’ll play this later.

Thanks!

MagusDuality said on Oct. 31, 2009

Oh this hack was excellent. I picked it up when Rad first brought it out. Excellent writing, hilarious, spastic humor, and a very interesting plot.

Deej said on Oct. 31, 2009

Now I can make it past the start of the sewers instead of being mobbed by about 5 enemies at once. Go go prepatch!

santiagoff said on Nov. 1, 2009

Looks cool.

Pimpshi said on Nov. 1, 2009

Wow. I beat this for the first time this Halloween. If you have not played this, it is superb in every way, and you really should do yourself a favor and experience it all the way through. :D

Zaratus said on Nov. 2, 2009

I will never look at Dr. Andonuts the same way again.

Anonymous said on Nov. 2, 2009

You deserve Candy if you could have beaten the entire game on Halloween night.

Deej said on Nov. 2, 2009

Did find a game stopping bug but its avoidable if you save often ;)

CommanderSigma said on Nov. 3, 2009

So does this end after andonuts? I remember watching Rad playing this uring the EBFGP and it looked like he was in fourside.

CommanderSigma said on Nov. 3, 2009

During* my “D” Key doesn’t like me

Zaratus said on Nov. 3, 2009

There’s another “choice” during that part. Just press ‘B’ when asked to make your “choice”.

Radiation said on Nov. 3, 2009

Press B.

CommanderSigma said on Nov. 3, 2009

Ahhhhh….that’ll work

PKSTARMAN said on Nov. 4, 2009

Ditto, Sisto. Man, I REALLY wanted this hack just to get to the rad final boss with rad music.

SPOILERS AHEAD! Stop reading this comment if you want.

The final boss is…

ohiuugyuy

Dave said on Nov. 4, 2009

Bleh… I’d like to nominate the comment prior to this one for deletion. :/

Mato said on Nov. 4, 2009

Changed it.

Anonymous said on Nov. 7, 2009

The making-of files are awesome!

This is seriously some of the best writing and game planning I’ve seen in a long time.

conn3r said on Nov. 7, 2009

it wont load for me :(

meleemario said on Feb. 21, 2010

I just played this hack for the first time last weekend. Really really great stuff! This hack really made me think too, it’s kind of like a dystopian version of Earthbound to me, I won’t spoil anything for those that haven’t played this yet. Poor Dr. Andonuts though, having to live with that kind of torment.

This hack could definitely be considered an unofficial sequel though, or at the very least a side quest providing an alternate look at the entire Earthbound story. Needless to say, I was very impressed, and to end this post, i’d just like to say the final boss music was epic, wouldn’t mind having an mp3 of that on my computer!

siefier said on Feb. 24, 2010

holy crap this is good, hard but good. *SUDDENLY A GHOST CAME AND POOTED ON YOUR FACE* it really did make me laugh

BigFattyPlus said on Apr. 15, 2010

Hey, I played a little bit of this hack, and it’s awesome! I just have on question: is there a faq where I can find out the enemies stats and their attacks? I wanna know, in case I do a Let’s Play walkthrough of it on my channel sometime. I thank you to whom made this awesome hack!

Hunter said on Aug. 11, 2010

I don’t like looking at and hearing the battle music for the Id. It scares me, and someone said it was Uboa. Aside from that, awesome hack, Radiation.

Anonymous said on Oct. 4, 2010

I think the game is a bit confusing, and kind like Yume Nikki and Call of Cthulhu

Zecks said on Oct. 28, 2010

Goddammit that final boss music is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life.

jrc45 said on Dec. 16, 2010

I just downloaded this today. I’m in love with it already! You did a great job!

dylan wiese said on Feb. 13, 2011

so short and so freaky!

dwiese1998 said on Feb. 20, 2011

nevermind i dont think its short anymore!

Bluedude3 said on Jun. 4, 2011

Well done!
The over recycled is going to haunt my dreams! XD

Kyle said on Aug. 8, 2011

Just played it – very impressive!

Is it supposed to freeze after the very end?

Cody baio said on Aug. 21, 2011

The hippie haunts me to this day :(

BOX said on Aug. 24, 2011

Hmm . . . after playing this I’m very sad to say that I’m a tad disappointed. The hack was okay overall, but the dialogue and story weren’t “polished” enough to justify the praise given, in my opinion.

Seeing as this hack has passed for better than it seems to me, I really hope this isn’t the level of quality the Mother 4 Fangame will have (*crosses fingers*).

Schlupi said on Aug. 24, 2011

@ Kyle: you got the bad ending, I am pretty sure.

@ BOX: It’s a HUUUUGE feat to do a proper hack on Earthbound… if you didn’t know/don’t understand that then that’s why you don’t appreciate it. :P

GooeyHeat said on Aug. 29, 2011

The Id was so freaky, and it didn’t help that I made that “fight” take really long by constantly using PSI Magnet until it ran out of PP.

TheBronzeGryphon said on Nov. 6, 2011

Wow… this difficulty curve is a 90 degree angle straight up.

I can’t make it more than 50 steps away from the starting theatre building. I’ll bludgeon my head against it for another ten minutes because I’m enjoying it so far, but this is too difficult for a casual Earthbound player. Just saying.

The Overrecycled said on Dec. 2, 2011

I beat the game. I give it 7/10. The difficulty hurt it the most.

Alex said on Dec. 13, 2011

rrrr…. I cant use it… It looks awsome though!

Crystalwarrior said on Apr. 29, 2012

Hey, fun fact: the final boss music is used in Homestuck (http://www.mspaintadventures.com – any eartbound fan should definitely check it out!)

I heard that the hack’s creator is also a music composer for HS!

NessDoesn'tAgree said on Jun. 1, 2012

I like the game, but I’m having so much freaking trouble in the sewers. And I’m even using the teddy bear, buying a ton of garlic roles,(or whatever they’re called) and also using the garbage can cap.(arm equip) Do I just suck to much playing the game?

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Jul. 29, 2012

I watched a walkthrough of this hack…

Try using status attacks. I read somewhere that the creator intended the enemies to be beat that way.

eruditebound said on Oct. 12, 2012

I’m sorry I played it but is it supposed to be really short

eruditebound said on Oct. 12, 2012

You know the way to tread the enemies there you grind before you go in the sewers not to onett but to tread

eruditebound said on Oct. 12, 2012

Come on can you make the story a bit longer

NessAtBat said on Oct. 15, 2012

This is great.

Nirron said on Mar. 7, 2013

This was a very odd game. I enjoyed it.
One thing I really liked was how all enemies, even he final boss, could be subverted with cheap PSI abilities if you knew what you where doing.

The only problem I really had with it was starting out. It’s an uphill battle to get leveled up to a point where you can fight your way through the sewers without being one round KOd. I’d say I barely finished the game at level 17. (It took me a bit to find a working strategy for the final boss)

To me, this game was less frightening and more sad. :/… The “Remember Me” enemies got to me in particular.

Interceptor said on May. 6, 2013

oh i like

Interceptor said on May. 6, 2013

I want a longer version :(

Interceptor said on May. 6, 2013

but i had no trouble in the sewers u just have to know what u can fight and what u cant i died 3 times the whole game

TeamAwesome said on Sep. 7, 2013

Holy crap! Exceeded expectations! So much detail put into this hack, particularly the dialogue, fantastic job! I literally just walked around talking to people for a while to see what they’d say xD

TeamAwesome said on Sep. 7, 2013

I loaded up my pre-patch saved game, and it converted into the patched storyline! I started out right before you fight the phaze distorter and then it takes me to like a glitch city central and I can’t go anywhere :( still very much awesome though

D said on Nov. 14, 2013

I did played this game whole and it was a beautiful moment of playing I enjoyed it from first to last second. Firstly the text changes making it more aggressive somewhat but in a way it is based on some crude humoristic jokes and it was nice . Secondly the storyboard is going a bit everywhere but let the player free to get a bit everywhere (some action replay and you can expend the way of viewing of the game because it’s the same game than earthbound). Thirdly the idea of making scary illogical (impossible to happen) things while it look perfectly normal BOOM a brutal change it’s how to make a surprise effect
Fourthly … the changing of total mood the real earthbound was just colourful and a kid thing … here it look gore and nice without exaggerate

My marks (/100)
Gameplay/Controls 18.5/20 (because in a part there is a near destroyed so much it’s a whole mess… or some object who been changed of place impossible to reach without action replay but in a way add difficulty to the game)

Difficulty 17/20 (really hard because of missing object price in store while you get some dollar only or really low HP when you encounter a 300 DAMAGE for a mushroom attacking you)

Storyboard 15/20 (Somewhat short but done real good so fill the lack of the short game)

Differences between hack and real game 20/20 (To me it’s A RENEW OF THE WHOLE GAME I won’t add anything I’m not here to spoil the game ;) )

(Because it’s a Halloween theme)
How creepy it was ? 16/20
(it been beautiful I been somewhat crept sometimes but I do have to say it’s difficult to make an old game as earthbound to make it scary

so the total is 86.5
And sincerely I would say is that it’s beautiful I really hope a 2nd game will be made someday :)

Thanks for reading

David said on Jan. 10, 2014

Hi. Is this available for the mac as well? Just like to know. Thanks.

Find Merchandise!