Eating at EarthBound Shops #1
For the past two weeks, I’ve noticed that prices of EarthBound carts on eBay have had some outrageously high buy-it-now prices. Sometimes people don’t have to use the buy-it-now option, but many times it’s the only option allowed. Seriously, look at some of the cart-only listings here. $120 for just the cart? Usually you can get the cart and the guide together for around that much.
Anyway, I don’t know why so many expensive carts have been showing up lately, but I was curious to see what the average price is on eBay. Luckily the eBay API also has a sister API for market research stuff. It’s pretty limited and gets really expensive if you want to use it extensively (as in like $10,000 per year), but I used the limited free version to get some basic info about how EarthBound’s been doing on eBay.
Basically, EarthBound carts with nothing else currently sell for an average of $75.05. The highest anyone’s paid in the last month or so is $94.99. So the people selling these carts for $120 are going to have a pretty tough time trying to rip fans off. And Toys R Us buying them for $.50 is a huge, huge scam.
I also checked what complete sets have been selling for. The current average price for a complete EarthBound with box/guide/etc. is $231.99. The most that’s been paid for one in the past while is $329.99. Of course that brand-new unopened version a few months back sold for over $1000, but that wasn’t included in these stats.
Anyway, this kind of stuff always interests me, so I might check things from time to time and report the info here. Like I mentioned a long while back, I’m planning to make an EarthBound merchandise pricing guide so people don’t wind up getting ripped off. It’s actually partly underway already, it’ll be pretty cool when it’s done
Other Related Posts:
32 Comments to EarthBound Cart Prices
Leave a reply
- ebisubaru: lol zack. you a funny guy.
- The Apple Kid: I’m not a surprised, but I’d be lying if I said, “I don’t think there is a petition in the world that has...
- Zack: The petitions…are absorbed…by the darkness.
- Justin: Iwata said they brought over EarthBound because of the Miiverse reaction and Project Rainfall rather clearly had an impact. I think Reggie...
- Gradon: I think that the Rainfall petition barely had an effect on Xenoblade coming over to the US. Nintendo of Europe are keen for niche games and...