October 28th, 2009 | EarthBound, Merchandise

Last month I posted about how Toys R Us started a game trade-in service and how you could get $0.50 for your copy of EarthBound (see here).

Last night I was browsing Amazon and I guess I never noticed it before, but Amazon recently started a video game trade-in service too. And it looks like they’re buying EarthBound for $20.

That’s a heck of a lot better than TRU’s $0.50, but it still seems like a very bad deal. Like I pointed out a while ago the average price of a sold copy of EarthBound is $75. I think the only benefit in doing a game trade-in is that you’re guaranteed to get the money, as opposed to trying to sell a copy on Amazon’s marketplace or on eBay where there is no guarantee. Personally, I don’t think it’s worth giving up $55 for that guarantee though 😛

For fun, I also checked a few other big-name SNES RPGs. Chrono Trigger trade-ins are worth $8.75 and Final Fantasy III (US) are worth $7.50. I wonder what their best SNES game trade-in is. EarthBound must be pretty high up there.

14 Comments to Amazon & EarthBound Trade-Ins

Earthbound_X said on Oct. 28, 2009

It’s hilarious too, it shows the game selling for 80+ dollars, and Amazon will give you 20 for it, lmao!

Poe said on Oct. 28, 2009

Well, that’s business. Kinda ridiculous that they’ll give you less than half of EB’s amount for a copy of FF3, when I always thought the general population put more worth into Final Fantasy games. I guess EB’s rarity and high demand is what caused it, since FF3 was ported onto other systems, making it more available.

curiouspasserby said on Oct. 28, 2009

I don’t find that price surprising at all. Earthbound might sell for hundreds on ebay, but I guess if you wanted a no hassle fair(Debatable) deal you would probably want to do this (Not that any informed person ever would though).

Mato said on Oct. 28, 2009

Yeah, that’s what I mentioned too. But now that I think about it, it’s even worse than I thought since you don’t even get actual money, you only get a gift card.

Sisto said on Oct. 28, 2009

Jeez… Do people actually fall for this crap?

resetsurvivor said on Oct. 28, 2009

Sounds like any video game store (or Tom Nook for that matter) to me. They’ll give you 1/4 (in cash) of what they can sell it for. How about that though.. EB $20 vs $8.75. for Chrono Trigger. That’s nice.

toader said on Oct. 28, 2009

eStarland will give you $100 (in store credit) if you have the box and the manual. For just the cart, it’s $35. I think the condition has to be pretty excellent for them to take it though.

toader said on Oct. 28, 2009

^oh and also, if you want actual money, you can get 70% of your credit as cash back

Chimera said on Oct. 28, 2009

Hmmm… Gamestop pricing anyone?

Elobo said on Oct. 28, 2009

Poe, I actually still get a little sick when I realize how much the folks would have plunked down for FF3 for us so many Christmases ago. I’d get a lot less queasy if they got it for 7.50CAD ;). At least I’m paying less for stuff now than they paid for me, ha ha ;).

Vinny said on Oct. 29, 2009

From my experience, Amazon is incredibly easy to sell things on. Price your Earthbound copy like five bucks less than the highest priced and it will be picked up in a day or so.
Amazon is pretty cool place to sell on, also. They’ll give you credit towards shipping. They take a percentage of your sale, but it’s not that high, and definitely worth it for the awesome service they provide.
Sold all my undergrad textbooks last month.

Obese Slime said on Oct. 29, 2009

I think thats how much the game could cost

Kuwanger said on Oct. 31, 2009

Speaking of FF3, my brother-in-law found a copy at a Salvation Army for $0.54.

Matteomax said on Aug. 5, 2011

SELL IT ON EBAY INSTEAD!! YOU CAN GET $70.00 MORE FOR IT!