September 17th, 2009 | EarthBound, Images

TriForceLink pointed this out the other day on the Starmen.Net forums – the main character in the Japanese version of A Boy and His Blob looks a lot like Ness.

Fushigi na Blobby (Nintendo Famicom):

Fushigi na Blobby: Princess Blob o Sukue! (Game Boy):

Pretty crazy similar to Ness 😯 According to the cover art though, the colors are nothing alike though.

Here’s what the original American version looked like: boy

Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Power Glove box in real life, but there’s a Ness lookalike on it too.

It’s just a generic kid of course, but I thought I’d throw it in here anyway since it’s not worth an update of its own 😛

Then of course there’s this.

Seen any Ness lookalikes of your own?

35 Comments to Some Ness Lookalikes

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Sep. 17, 2009

Why such a downgrade on the NES sprites? The NES could handle far more than that little thing.

Wil said on Sep. 17, 2009

Wow! That’s pretty similar.. and cool looking! Why on Earth would NOA change his graphics to look like Pitfall Harry?

..whoa. I think I just showed my age with that reference.

Carl said on Sep. 17, 2009

Isn’t A Boy and His Blob an American game? I thought the American version of the game was the original.

I agree that the boy’s sprite in the American version isn’t particularly great looking, but it does seem to fit the game’s graphic style much better than does that of the Japanese version, which looks far more “cartoony” than anything else in the game.

Mato said on Sep. 17, 2009

Yeah, you’re right, it was changed for Japan it seems.

Saturnome said on Sep. 17, 2009

I did found a Ness look-a-like in a cartoon-looking RPG on the SNES. I mentioned it somewhere on the SM.net forums…
Sadly, I’m never able to remember the name of this game (it’s some long sentence in Japanese). It’s very cute and seems like tons of fun too. It’s about some kindergarten kid living in a suburban town and some spirit assist her in something. The Ness look-a-like is classmate.

roido said on Sep. 17, 2009

Ness look a like
or Earthbound look alike
because i catch Loid on power puff girls z
episode named “Ken’s friend indeed”

LordKarnov42 said on Sep. 17, 2009

@ Carl

A Boy And His Blob was created by David Crane, creator of Pitfall, so were – nevermind I forget where I was going with that.

Ice Sage said on Sep. 17, 2009

Anyone remember Ozzie Boy? 😉

But seriously, this game is INCREDIBLY annoying. It’s so easy to die. Don’t ask why I’ve played this game, because I forget. All I really remember in detail is that the music loops over and over again, which on top of the dying is what makes it awful (imo).

Carl said on Sep. 17, 2009

A Boy and His Blob has some serious issues. It’s artificially hard in the way that a lot of old NES games were, presenting the player with obstacles but not even the slightest hint as to how to progress past them. It’s practically impossible to beat that kind of game without using a walkthrough.

But, A Boy and His Blob does have very interesting, unique play mechanics. There’s the potential to create a great game by coupling sensible level designs with the basic mechanics of the original. That’s why I’m looking forward to the new Wii version so much.

Claus said on Sep. 17, 2009

The hat is even pointing the same way.

Wil said on Sep. 17, 2009

David Crane made it? Cool.
No wonder it looks like Pitfall Harry..
Thanks LordKarnov42 for the great trivia!

Jim said on Sep. 17, 2009

The Power Glove has another connection to MOTHER; in the film “The Wizard”, a gamer who uses the Power Glove is a kid named Lucas.

Sisto said on Sep. 17, 2009

Power gloves FTW.

santiagoff said on Sep. 17, 2009

Can’t remember any Ness look-a-likes. But I somehow feel like I’ve seen someone similar to him sometime in the past…

TBird said on Sep. 18, 2009

The one that sticks out most in my minde is the kid from Pokemon Red/Blue. Not the artwork, but the in-game kid. I’m surprised he wasn’t mentioned. The face of Boy With Blob looks strikingly like Ness though.

TBird said on Sep. 18, 2009

minde? I’m going to sleep.

zedrein said on Sep. 18, 2009

Well when you think about it Ness IS sorta’ generic.

TBird said on Sep. 18, 2009

You lie!

guy said on Sep. 18, 2009

There’s a creature that reminds me of Mr. Saturn in Denno Coil

Digitalized said on Sep. 18, 2009

TBird, what a charming Political-Culture reference.

Well, I guess when you could wear hats sideways without being thought about being a gang member, they really took advantage of it 15-25 years ago.

The Great Morgil said on Sep. 18, 2009

Hmm, i just noticed something. The look-a-like in aBaHB doesn’t appear to be wearing any pants.

Millhouse said on Sep. 18, 2009

The powerglove – “It’s SO bad.”
and indeed; ’twas an honest advertising campaign.

Ice Sage said on Sep. 18, 2009

@The Great Morgil: I noticed too, but didn’t know how to say it without feeling weird. And I don’t know why they would do that, because the American version is wearing jeans or something. o_0

@Millhouse: 😛

J said on Sep. 18, 2009

@Ice Sage: They’re just spandex flesh colored tights. It’s for maximum mobility. It just looks like he’s wearing nothing at all.

TBird said on Sep. 19, 2009

“TBird, what a charming Political-Culture reference.”

You broke my sarcasm detector.

FireStar said on Sep. 19, 2009

Ness truly is a generic kid look alike.

roido said on Sep. 19, 2009

there will be a kid and his blob for wii and one for DS
in the Wii version the kid resembles to Claus with brown hair
while the DS version resembles to Lucas mixed with Ness

PSIrocker said on Sep. 22, 2009

What about Mark from Monster Party? He has a hat and a baseball bat is his main weapon!

Lukas said on Oct. 1, 2009

The wiiware version of Boy has silmilar Eyes to earthBound characters,and he has a Striped shirt,and shorts too.
And was’nt the DS version of Boy & His blob cancelled?

Roido said on Oct. 2, 2009

i didn’t notice the word cancelled lol
BTW
If someones watches Foster home
There is a Kid that Looks
EXACTLY! like Lucas
the same striped shirt,hair color & Style
and the claus Aptitude, the same aptitude
the shoes aren’t the same
the episode tittle is “Neighbor Pains”
if someone can watch it will find the lookalike

Ilana_ said on Dec. 29, 2009

Hey, do you all know that game, A Boy and his blob? I think the Boy looks a lot like Ness(yes, i do). XDD

Lucas200x said on May. 27, 2010

Billy from the Grim adventures of billy and mandy look somewhat like ness by the clothes he wears but hair color and attitude are nothing alike

runto said on Jun. 9, 2010

this is ccccccccccccccccccccccooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllll

dandyzinc said on Aug. 26, 2010

I saw this lookalike in the grocery store on a pack of Dubble Bubble…

I immediately said AWWW COME ON!