September 8th, 2009 | Merchandise, MOTHER 3

As many people probably know by now, those MOTHER 3 Mr. Saturn plushies have hit Japanese arcades again after a three year hiatus. More info on that here if this is news to you.

Anyway, Chewy, who helped with the MOTHER 3 fan translation and also translated two really big Itoi interviews (see here and here) lives in Japan now, so she went to an arcade and wrote a report about it.

You can check out her report here.

She has many more pics and a video at the link above too. I think she also has another video of the crane game in action, but is having trouble getting it off her friend’s phone for technical reasons. Hopefully we’ll get to see it later.

These plushies are selling on Yahoo Auctions Japan for about $40-$50 w/ buy-it-now. Hopefully the prices on eBay will reflect this; they used to sell for $100-$200 on eBay during the first run, but not even the giant Mr. Saturn ones go for that much anymore. With supply increasing, hopefully we’ll see more reasonable prices on eBay in the future, even just $100 or less would be sure to sell. So if you’re a seller, keep this in mind!

Also, it looks like the crane games are set up differently at each different arcade, so if I can get some pictures of other ones I’ll post them on EB Central later.

28 Comments to Mr. Saturn in Japanese Arcades

Sisto said on Sep. 8, 2009

Sweet! I knew that they would get pretty cheap, but I had no idea they would sink to less than $100. That’s good to know.

KingDarian said on Sep. 8, 2009

Nice, but I’m more interested in the posters plastered all around the machine. Why is there a T-shirt on it?

Mato said on Sep. 8, 2009

I mentioned it quickly here and I think Chewy mentions it in her article too, you do a survey and you get entered into a drawing for prizes. I don’t know what the prizes are exactly though, I don’t have any good pics of that thing.

KingDarian said on Sep. 8, 2009

Judging by the general shapes in the graphics on the tee, I’d say it’s a tan or gold variant of the Smaaaash! shirt The-King-Of-Games sells. Nice.

I didn’t even notice chewy’s article until you pointed it out. I’ve gotta give that a read-through. It looks quite interesting.

Mato said on Sep. 8, 2009

On Yahoo Auctions Japan it looks like they sell for about $50 buy-it-now. Hopefully eBay prices will be similar.

santiagoff said on Sep. 8, 2009

I want to go to Japan! ;_;

Mr. Disguised Saturn said on Sep. 8, 2009

*sniff* I Need One! *sniff*

Ice Sage said on Sep. 8, 2009

Plushies aren’t for me, but I am glad they’re coming back and making everyone else happy (’cause I’m the party pooper 😉 )

All I’m looking for anymore is one of the original M1 Franklin Badges. Yeah, like that’s ever going to happen, but one can dream. And even if for some freak reason one does turn up (not considering a reasonable price), LucasTizma will probably beat me to it. 🙂

mrsaturn95 said on Sep. 8, 2009

I totally want that live beetle in chewy’s article

Chewy said on Sep. 8, 2009

I should have thought to get a closer picture of that shirt on the poster. It’s the SMAAASH Starman shirt, but gray. I actually like the regular black version better, but I’d gladly take a rare version, heh. 🙂 I heard that American cell phones are starting to do barcode readers too, is that true? Maybe I can publicly post a picture of that barcode for everyone so they don’t have to go to the arcade site to enter, haha.

pidgezero_one said on Sep. 9, 2009

I ordered 3 of these from YJA on the morning they went up in huge numbers! Can’t wait for them to get here!

LucasTizma said on Sep. 9, 2009

@pidgezero_one, same here! 3 on the way, though one’s for a friend. 🙂 @Ice Sage, hm… I might. I, too, have been looking high and low for an original Franklin Badge, but I’m not heartless either… I’d probably let you have it. 🙂

LucasTizma said on Sep. 9, 2009

@KingDarian: Random question…why is Itoi’s name written in katakana (イトイシゲサト) on the preview pics for that t-shirt?

Pigmask Private said on Sep. 9, 2009

LucasTizma you’re so cool. I WONDER who the friend is who’s getting the plush….

Hm……
HMMMMMM……

😀

Ice Sage said on Sep. 9, 2009

@LucasTizma: 😀
All I meant to say is that you have the money for it, should one appear, because all we’ve got to go on for pricing is that one auction way back when that was like $9000. My parents were super mad when I spent $189 for a M3 Deluxe box, so…yeah.

Plus, I’m absolutely terrible at monitoring eBay. 😛

pidgezero_one said on Sep. 10, 2009

@LucasTizma, I’m giving one to my friend too! XP

@Ice Sage, mad over $189? Mine cost me that much too, and it looks to be a pretty good price compared to how much they go for on eBay these days…

Ice Sage said on Sep. 10, 2009

@pidgezero_one: Yep. So imagine what would happen trying to get one of those M1 FB’s? >_<

anonymous said on Sep. 10, 2009

How much are they going for on Yahoo Japan? I was thinking about getting a proxy to get one of these.

pidgezero_one said on Sep. 10, 2009

@Ice Sage: I don’t even want to think about that! O_O

@anonymous: I’ve seen them for as low as $40 autobuy.

Drowzee64 said on Sep. 10, 2009

Do want. D:

…Oh well. I suck at crane machines. Even if I could get to a machine, I would probably have to spend $200 worth of yen before getting one. 😛

GoldenEevee said on Sep. 11, 2009

I want one, but I never will, beause of that evil Reggie, stupid Mother hating Reggie

Kurisuellegarden said on Sep. 12, 2009

I’m not exactly sure it’s Reggie’s fault. He doesn’t get to decide what comes or not.

I think it’s several people and companies at fault here. They just don’t want to make an effort to sell the game here since the first time it didn’t sell great…

Joshua Johnson said on Sep. 12, 2009

is that one of those Crain Machines?!?!?!

Holy shit, I’d walk in that Arcade with 500 bucks and win all of those saurns!!
xD

anonymous said on Sep. 13, 2009

Does anyone know a list of places where these arcades are? I was thinking of trying to track one down.

neonix said on Sep. 14, 2009

Speaking of the SMAAAASH! shirts, I just bought the last two in Medium from KOG the other day. I was surprised to see the sold out button after I placed my order.

Sisto said on Sep. 21, 2009

I just got mine a couple days ago. I like him a lot. Thanks for posting about them, Tomato.

gg said on Jul. 29, 2011