Random Post:

MOTHER 3 Mini-Foods

September 11th, 2009 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2, Videos

Right now, the MOTHER 1+2 translation is very low priority for me, but I still work on it when I get the chance. At the moment, I’m playing through the game with my retranslated and edited script, fixing up context issues and logging bugs that need to be fixed.

I’ve also been playing with the new Easy Ring on, which increases money and experience you get from enemies. It was smooth sailing until I got Loid/Lloyd, at which point my motivation died. Even though enemies were very easy to beat now, the encounter rate was too much. So I decided to look into how to make the Easy Ring also reduce the encounter rate. After some help from the always-awesome Jeffman, I added lower enemy encounter rates to one of the Easy Ring’s effects. Tried it out just now and it made Duncan’s Factory a lot more bearable, but not super-insanely easy either. Just my luck though, Loid died right before the top of the factory, so my trip up there was pointless 😛

Anyway, while working on this simple hack, I accidentally made a typo in one of the lines of ASM code and got this to happen:

Instead of reducing encounters, it made every step have an encounter 😯 And it also made battles pretty crazy.

Anyway, it was easy to fix that, so now the Easy Ring is much nicer. Since encounters will be fewer, I upped the experience enemies give, and it seems to be a good balance. Of course, if you want to play the game normally, you don’t have to use the Easy Ring, it’s entirely optional.

It’s hard finding time and motivation for this thing lately, but I’ll keep at it. For now, if you want to play the game in English but don’t feel like waiting, here are a few other patches for MOTHER 1+2.

48 Comments to Enemy Encounter Rate Explosion

Aurilliux said on Sep. 11, 2009

R-7038 attacking in a random battle… that’d sure make MOTHER a lot harder 😛

Someone Else said on Sep. 11, 2009

In that video…did I just see 4th-D Slip with a weird different name? Pity… I liked the sound of 4th-D Slip better.

Mato said on Sep. 11, 2009

Yeah, I went with the name used in the Japanese version.

santiagoff said on Sep. 11, 2009

Bizarre battles lol

Sisto said on Sep. 11, 2009

Lloyd/Loid sure does die a lot.

Ness-Ninten-Lucas said on Sep. 11, 2009

Wow. Playing though the game like that would’ve been a nightmare for all of us, and the enounters in MOTHER 1+2 were bad enough already.

Userofdoom said on Sep. 11, 2009

NINTEN attacks! ♪♪ took 1 damage! ♪♪R-7038 attacks! ♪ IN 551 damage! ♪♪
So…music notes are enemies now o.O

LightningLuigi said on Sep. 11, 2009

Ah, so the D in 4th D Slip stands for demension. So the complete name would be Fourth Demention Slip. OK, that makes sence, I’ve always wondered what 4th D Slip meant. Dementional Warp sounds cool too though, not to mention it makes it more clear what it does. Anyway, keep up the good work!

Ice Sage said on Sep. 11, 2009

This is why you shouldn’t stay in Magicant too long. The world freaks out. 😛

What makes this even more annoying for me is that encountering enemies every stepreally does happen in the real game sometimes. Every time I’m doing Yucca Desert, I swear, it’s like that.

Incidentally, Mato, have you posted here that the Mother 1 remake isn’t dead? Maybe you did and I missed it, I don’t know, or maybe I was the only ignorant one.

Ice Sage said on Sep. 11, 2009

^ “step really.” I can’t type today.

blahmoomoo said on Sep. 11, 2009

Ice Sage: I notified Mato that the Mother 1 Remake wasn’t dead and gave him to the link to the new web site. He quickly changed the link in the random link sidebar section and link page, but forgot to mention it in the Community News the following week.

Jeeves said on Sep. 12, 2009

On the subject of Fourth D Slip, I always pictured it as something like Mario’s dimension-flipping ability in Super Paper Mario. Though in that case it’s more like he’s slipping into the third dimension….I figured the same thing happened in Mother, just involving a more…..incomprehensible dimension.

blahmoomoo said on Sep. 12, 2009

Supposedly the fourth dimension is time, so maybe Ninten and co. jump back in time to before the random attack took place and somehow avoid the ambush! Yay for short term time travel!

TheBatFax said on Sep. 12, 2009

Though you got smashed around by ol’ bot boy the music notes made it seem so much nicer.

Steve! said on Sep. 12, 2009

That actually looked pretty funny

ZEROGRAVITY-A01! said on Sep. 12, 2009

Wow, it sure is harder. One step and boom, you’re ambushed.

Wil said on Sep. 12, 2009

Coolest video ever.

How many steps did you take before you realized it was a battle every step?

My guess is 3.

otherhand said on Sep. 12, 2009

Holy crap, it’s MISSINGNO.!

bonuswavepilot said on Sep. 13, 2009

“It’s hard finding time and motivation for this thing lately…”

We need some kind of cheer-squad to keep ‘Mato working.

Gimme an M!

Hey You! said on Sep. 14, 2009

Any way of getting at least an ETA on the translation patch?

Also, it would be awesome in Mother 2 was translated as well as then it would be complete!

Thanks!

Anonymous said on Sep. 16, 2009

Is it possible to keep the musical notes? They’re kinda cool and fit the musical theme of the game.

Andrew said on Sep. 17, 2009

I finally found your Easy Ring patch for the Earthbound Zero ROM, and I must say that I don’t mind the encounter rate. Is it possible to make the reduced encounter rate an optional bonus?

Either way, I can’t wait for this to be done. Keep on truckin’, Mato.

RED said on Sep. 17, 2009

3TRAINERPOKè draw near!

Caleb, Of Asui said on Sep. 18, 2009

I’d certainly like to see some sort of MOTHER 2 translation come along with the MOTHER 1 translation, even if it’s just the menus. One idea I’d like to contribute: perhaps you could do the same thing with the text boxes for MOTHER 2. I’m no programmer, so I don’t know if that would be easier than making the narrow text the way it is in the official translation – hopefully it IS easier, though.

roido said on Sep. 20, 2009

lol
the mad car dog
lololololololol

NEO_Ness said on Sep. 25, 2009

Yeah, this is an awesome side project! Good luck Tomato!

I was wondering, it would be totally awesome if you could have all of the text and sprites be the original uncut version, like on the NES/Famicom version! Japan got both uncut, and cut versions. The English version of Earthbound Zero had always been the cut version of the game, where there was no blood, or they changed text in certain places occurred.

This would be really neat, because it would finally give us a chance to enjoy Earthbound/MOTHER at its core! (Possibly the same treatment of MOTHER2? I mean, enemy sprites and text where edited as well. Just a suggestions from a loyal MOTHER/Earthbound fan. This would totally kick-a!)

I wish you luck Tomato, God-speed!

Jonathello said on Oct. 3, 2009

Hey Mato this is awesome. I played your MOTHER 3 patch and it was great. I’ve played Earthbound before but never earthbound 0. I look foward to seeing this done. Nice job Mato! And also, Gimme an A! =]

Jack said on Oct. 5, 2009

This is great is it nearly finished?

A fan said on Oct. 5, 2009

Mato you’re incredible. I want your babies.

Superstarman said on Oct. 7, 2009

Well, this shows us that this is looking great! Keep up the good work! =D

That video also showed me that this is complicated. I’m glad I don’t take up projects like this…otherwise I’d be going nuts…=O

sticktendo said on Oct. 9, 2009

I love how each line is sung. ♪♪
Imagine if someone in the game actually talked like that. ♪♪

Mairujyat said on Oct. 10, 2009

the vid was crazy. I think you were fighting MissingNo. O_O

gabo1995 said on Oct. 12, 2009

THE VIDEO WAS FUNNY!! seriously, i gotta congraddulate the people who worked hard on the mother 3 translation. i hope mother 1+2 translation might be good as well. and thanks for making a kick butt website for mother 3 fan translation, i hope you can do the same with mother 1+2 fan translation. one last thing, i know that you guys did the translation, but what’s the name of the thing you did to create such a wonnderful translation?

Mothe 1 fan said on Oct. 29, 2009

Since mother 1 is my favorite of the series il test it if you want i can beat the game in 2 days even

dead1486 said on Nov. 3, 2009

Quick question about translating the mother 2 portion of the game.
Would it be possible to write a program that would replace the japanese text with english text from the snes game?

Mato said on Nov. 3, 2009

It’s not impossible, but it’s not as easy as that. Or else someone would’ve done it already 😛 EarthBound/MOTHER 2’s text system is hell, and any hacking work with it is hell x 500.

dead1486 said on Nov. 3, 2009

Well hopefully someone translates the mother 2 portion of the game someday.. I’m dying to play it on my ds… in english…

PS3D said on Jun. 3, 2010

The video has been removed…

yut said on Aug. 5, 2010

‘this video has been removed due to terms of use violation’?

BJ#1 said on Nov. 27, 2010

Dang, the video has been removed, can you reupload it?

TheZunar123 said on Dec. 26, 2010

He can’t re-upload it because his YouTube account was terminated (for whatever reason). Although I wish he could somehow re-upload it… if he emails it to me, I’ll upload it to my account. Anyway, about the translation, I’ve started editing pictures to translate stuff in Mother 2 (although I can’t hack it into the game itself since I don’t know how, but I wish I could). Does anybody know how to hack the Mother 2 part of M1+2? I’d like to know so I could work on it, perhaps. 🙂

Dialga Thunderstar said on Apr. 2, 2012

This is so OLD.

Radic said on Apr. 2, 2012

Lemme Just say, if you do exactly that on Starmen.Net, you’ll get banned,

ANYWHO If you play without the easy ring, a lot of times even Without the ring, the encounter rate is still lower then usual, is this common?

Banjo said on Apr. 23, 2012

Woah! that is high..

ManiManiSeed said on Jun. 20, 2012

Give me money Ninten lol

Buster The Fox said on Jun. 22, 2012

Dang it, the video’s gone. I like Earthbound videos. :<

PSY (PsiReaper) said on Apr. 21, 2013

Hey Mato, the video for this article is down, you think you can work on it?

Mato said on Apr. 21, 2013

Unfortunately I don’t think I have the video anymore.