Random Post:

Jazzy EarthBound Remix

September 16th, 2009 | EarthBound, Merchandise

The cool folks over at Retromags recently released high-resolution PDFs of the EarthBound Player’s Guide. There are two versions available:

• Single page version – every page in the guide is one page in the PDF
  • Wide version – pages with maps and stuff are combined into one page in the PDF

Personally, I’d go with the single page version but I’m sure the wide version will be appreciated by many too.

Anyway, here are the files:

EarthBound Player’s Guide (single page version)
View online version
Download (45 MB)
EarthBound Player’s Guide (wide version)
View online version
Download (45 MB)

Nothing beats having the real, actual guide though, so you might consider getting a copy on eBay or on Amazon. Hopefully this will let many people experience EarthBound in new ways. I don’t know about other people, but half the fun of the game came from this awesome guide :D

34 Comments to EarthBound Player’s Guide PDFs

Earthbound_X said on Sep. 16, 2009

Wow! Very awesome.

Earthbound_X said on Sep. 16, 2009

Damn, that site is pretty awesome, they have tons of the old Gameinformers from the 90s when it started.

Wil said on Sep. 16, 2009

I hope this doesn’t depreciate the value of my player’s guide.. Just kidding.

I’m glad the people will get to experience the EarthBound players guide. It’s totally awesome.

Difegue said on Sep. 16, 2009

wow, cool!
I downloaded the whole player’s guide back then as a gigantic file of scans, so it’s rather unhandy to navigate, but wow, hi-res pdfs! Awesome!

It’ll make up for the fact I only have a M2 cart ;_;

Antiaverage said on Sep. 16, 2009

Yeah, the single page version is the way to go. There is a viewing method in Adobe Acrobat Reader which allows the single page to be viewed with the multi-page maps properly aligned. Open up the single page version pdf in the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click on the View menu and mouse-over Page Display. Check only Two-Up and Show Cover Page During Two-Up, uncheck the rest. Everything will flow smoothly now with properly separated pages which visually appear conjoined.

Antiaverage said on Sep. 16, 2009

I added PDF Bookmarks which follow the naming and paging of the Table of Contents to make it easier for you to navigate the guide:

Son of Welcome said on Sep. 16, 2009

What luck! With this, I can show my pals at school what EarthBound is!

Sisto said on Sep. 16, 2009

I got a different PDF of the Player’s guide. I really wanted to see what it looked like in person, so I bought the book. I have to agree with Tomato, it’s better to have in real life than on a computer.

Spitball Sparky said on Sep. 16, 2009

Well this is certainly better than the old scanned version that was lying around with weird angles and such.

My EarthBound guide is my most-loved (A.K.A poor-conditioned) book, so I avoid touching it, for it is delicate. This digital version will be a nice reference tool.

Elobo said on Sep. 16, 2009

My guide’s so worn out. I used to read it every so often because it’s so well-constructed – if not the source of some childhood frustration.

I’m really glad for this because I don’t like to use my guide for art reference anymore.

But yeah, nothing will beat having the actual guide in my hands. Both the history I have with it, and tangibility of the format. The same applies to Fangamer’s handbook :). But, it’s not always a realistic option for folks to get the EB guide.

TalahRama said on Sep. 16, 2009

This is really awesome. I’m getting my girlfriend to try and play this game – but my hard copy of the strategy guide is about 1400 miles away in my parents’ basement, since I didn’t want something to happen to it on the move. The amount of work put into it compared to things today is really incredible and it’s fun to just read.

Does anyone else know any strategy guides with merit outside of the advice they give? Or, even better, where to find digital copies? I remember LoZ:LttP’s being pretty nice.

V-King said on Sep. 17, 2009

That’s great for me. I imported my copy of EarthBound back in the day and couldn’t ever even take a look at the Player’s Guide because I bought the cart only.

Great stuff :)

Vinny said on Sep. 17, 2009

It’s funny, I own the game plus the guide, but this is my first time actually seeing it in such good condition! I bought my copy used from Blockbuster back in the day, and the guide was already pretty wrecked, and in it’s current condition is hardly legible!
How about everyone else? What condition is your Earthbound guide in?

Xi said on Sep. 17, 2009

When I got the game I would read the player’s guide all the time, even after I finished the game. I would even read it in the bath tub! So my original players’ guide is legible, although it appears to have been through a hurricane.

Viewtiful_justin said on Sep. 17, 2009

I still have my original guide. It has served me well over the years, and even though some pages are falling out, it’s still sweet! I even have 5 of the 6 scratch and sniff cards in the back. I sent the pizza one in for an air freshener…which I still have.

santiagoff said on Sep. 17, 2009

What’s the difference between these and the ones posted on starmen.net?

NessLucas-zero said on Sep. 19, 2009

I’ve been reading it lately. It’s pretty sweet!
I’m glad they made the Mother 3 handbook similar to the original Player’s guide.

Antiaverage said on Sep. 22, 2009

Reading through this convinced me to finally buy the Mother 3 handbook. I can’t believe it took me so long… I’m excited about its arrival.

Blackcat said on Dec. 17, 2009

Can anybody upload me the wide version ? i can’t download from this link .. pls :(

[…] la version US était livré avec un incroyable guide officiel, aussi cintré que le jeu lui-même (téléchargeable en PDF par ici). N’hésitez donc pas à vous jeter sur Earthbound si vous aimez les RPG (hélas uniquement […]

Kit said on Jul. 11, 2011

wish i wouldn’t seen this post when it was first made.
it’s only on scribd now, & no matter what, i can’t get it to download.
is it in any other location?

Mews said on Mar. 1, 2012

Holy cow! What a fantastic find for latecomers to the series…

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 5, 2012

This is awesome! I have the single page version and I love it! I was really wanting this guide and I felt like I was missing out because nobody’s selling it for a cheap price. So thank you!

stellarhero said on Apr. 12, 2012

Currently playing earthbond on my phone via emulator its awesome!!! Want to know more about it so am downloading this guide!! :)

Alec said on Aug. 27, 2012

I Had Someone offer me $140.00 For my Copy of EarthBound And the Players guide from Nintendo, You know the one with the Scrath n Smell Cards…… U Think 140 is worth it? I think its worth more

pk fire said on Sep. 22, 2012

look on amazon.com, the guide alon is going for 99 and the game, cheapest i seen it is 120 in poor condition

pk fire said on Sep. 22, 2012

also, you dont have to have a scribd account, click the word “download” under the link it lets you download it

Psi (Favorite Thing) said on Oct. 2, 2012

Download the file on a tablet and then play the game, emulates the original experience-ish.

[…] If you’ve stumbled upon this page because you’re looking for info on fake Earthbound carts, please take time to look at Earthbound Central, in fact, you should be looking at the main site anyway!  They also have a copy of the Earthbound Players Guide in PDF format. […]

[…] to the very good Earthbound Players Guide, a 130+ page guide to the game (a .pdf version available here at the excellent Earthbound Central). It really is a cracking read – without a doubt it’s […]

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 18, 2012

Awesome! i always wanted to read the player’s guide! i think I’ll play EB again but following the player’s guide this time rather than an online walkthrough.

Mezmerize said on Jan. 28, 2013

The download always cancells, when I try downloading it :(

Robert said on May. 26, 2013

Wow, is the guide realy that good? I never got guide books because I thought it ruined the experience of beating the game yourself.

Kimimi said on Jul. 20, 2013

There’s now an official remastered players guide at http://earthbound.nintendo.com/playersguide/