August 9th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

Week 30, the big 3-0!

Seems like this week was dominated by MOTHER 3-related stuff. There was no real reason for it, it just turned out that way. Things were also a little quieter this week than last, but then again the last week was crazy.

Anyway, enough blabbing, let’s take at what’s gone on this week!

Site News

• Worked a few more hours on the MOTHER 1+2 project. I still haven’t chosen a font but I’ll do that once it comes time to test the script in-game, which will be soon. I’m gonna try to put an hour or two into this every day if I can now.
  • I caused EarthBound-related belching

EarthBound News

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

Remember those rare EarthBound pogs from last week? Despite their rarity, they sold for only $46. I’m actually kind of glad, because it seems like EarthBound fans have a reputation for buying stuff on eBay for way too much. That’s why I plan to (someday) put together a comprehensive pricing guide for EarthBound merch, so that people won’t wind up spending a ton more than they should. Just gotta find time for it now though…

Anyway, a couple things of interest popped up on eBay this week, so check it out.Remember that you can check to see what EarthBound/MOTHER stuff is currently on eBay at any time here!

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

I never noticed this before, but there are two separate pages for EarthBound on Amazon:

I wonder what the difference is and why there are two pages to begin with.

Community News

I’m 80, so I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

What’s Up With Itoi

• Itoi says he likes to walk through parks and places like that a lot, and one thing he’s noticed is that benches are different from the old days – they’re now shaped all weird to make them unsuitable for sleeping on. Rather than say, “Hey, you! No sleeping on the benches!”, they’ve resorted to making the benches give that message themselves.
  • As I pointed out a while back, Itoi used to host educational shows for NHK, which is like Japan’s version of PBS here in the States. Anyway, they’ve been reairing these shows recently, and Itoi is kind of embarrassed. He was only 30 at the time, and part of his job was trying to tell children how things are when you’re grown up, except now that he looks back, he thinks he was barely grown up himself, or at least had very little experience as a grownup at the time.

Upcoming Stuff

This next week I’m just gonna continue to go through the backlog of submissions. There are about 100 things in there 😯

End

Someone should make a hack of Pac-man and make it EarthBound-themed.

23 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #30

Poe said on Aug. 9, 2009

At first I was excited that Giygas got on Spike.com, but then I saw the fetus theory. *sigh* I can’t believe such nonsense has traveled so far.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Aug. 9, 2009

I lol’d hard at Reid burping EricBound.

Chimera said on Aug. 9, 2009

Poe: soon the fetus theory will rule the world.

Sisto said on Aug. 9, 2009

Birdo? Seriously? Come on guys. There has to
be thousands of bosses that are more disturbing.
Look at some of the bosses from the FF series.

Alxprit said on Aug. 9, 2009

Neat week pic you have there. I haven’t seen that image elsewhere…

Komaru said on Aug. 9, 2009

First of all, thank you for linking to my video of Reid belching EricBound!
And second of all:

Anonymous said on Aug. 9, 2009

Tomato, are you really 80?

Pigmask Private said on Aug. 9, 2009

I’m 90% positive that he is not 80.

Rockin'Ness said on Aug. 9, 2009

I’m unsure of Mato being 80 also, but that week pic is AWESOME! I’ve never seen that pic anywhere else, and it makes me wonder what EarthBound 64 would’ve been like. I know I probably would have never played Mother 3 though if it did exist, because my computer isn’t fast/strong enough to handle N64 emulation, and I would’ve been too young at the time to pick it up (I wasn’t even born when EarthBound came out 🙁 ). I still want it though, even if we got Mother 3 GBA.

Jeagle101 said on Aug. 9, 2009

I never expected to see Reid burp EricBound…

But I don’t care, it was hilarious 😛

SB057 said on Aug. 9, 2009

All that’s left is a Pac-man themed Earthbound…

Saturnome said on Aug. 9, 2009

Of course Tomato is 80 what a silly question

That Spike article is pretty poor, not only on the EarthBound side but the whole thing is pretty bad.

Xi said on Aug. 9, 2009

One of the Earthbound pogs didn’t sell for very much because if you read the print at the bottom, the seller says in the auction that the pogs don’t really look that good, it’s been touched up with a bit of image editing. It was pretty boldly stated, and scares serious buyers away.

Also, while plushes, manga, and other collectibles will always have vintage value, the only people that ever cared about Pogs were people between the ages of 6 and 12 in 1996, and noone has cared about pogs since, except maybe an honorable mention in a VH1 countdown. Most have thrown their Pog “collection” away somewhere in the annals of time. Even if you did want to display these pogs, these pogs are made of really flimsy material, even for Pogs. I’m surprised it got as high as it did.

I wonder how much Earthbound carts will go for once the internal save batteries start failing?

GenoWhirl said on Aug. 9, 2009

I always wanted a version of Pac-Man where you played as the Ultimate Chimera, eating Pigmasks, while the four ghosts were Lucas, Boney, Kumatora, and Duster.

Metroid_maniac said on Aug. 10, 2009

@GenoWhirl

and fierce pork troopers were Power Pellets? where have I seen that before…

PKSTARMAN said on Aug. 10, 2009

I hope this week gets some translation differences of MOTHER 2 VS. EarthBound.

PikachuMan said on Aug. 10, 2009

Lol, seems the news I submitted about the Top 10 disturbing bosses got in. 😛

FireStar said on Aug. 10, 2009

@Komaru
Which pac-man would that be a hack of?

stardude said on Aug. 10, 2009

80? Really? 80?!

Komaru said on Aug. 10, 2009

At FireStar
I tested it out, and my PacBound patch will work on any Pac-Man NES ROM, or to be more specific, any of these:
Pac-Man (Tengen) (U) [!].nes
Pac-Man (U) (Namco).nes
Pac-Man (U) [!].nes

Enjoy!

5ku112 said on Aug. 11, 2009

Whoever is buying the mother 3 cartridge for 27+ dollars and keeps outbidding me, could you please let me have the cartridge? iv’e never ever played he game, I was introduced to the game when I found starmen.net and iv’e always wanted to play it but couldn’t because I don’t have a computer (typing from phone) Whoever you are could you either stop bidding or let me have the cartridge.

Please. I really want to play the game on gameboy advance, and I cant emulate it because I dont have a computer. I hope you understand. Thanks.

Puppyduck said on Aug. 16, 2009

Oh Tomato, you cut me like a knife. You mention Heroes of Mother 3 and Porky’s Game but no word for Escpae From Tazmily? I’m gonna go sob in the corner 🙁

Mato said on Aug. 16, 2009

Like I said, I’m 80 and can’t keep up with everything. People gotta let me know if something’s updated, otherwise I’m liable to miss stuff.