MOTHER on MSNBC
August 2nd, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up
Oh man, was this last week jam-packed with big EarthBound stuff 😯
We heard from Reggie and Bill Trinen, we looked at some big EarthBound and MOTHER 3 reviews, rare EarthBound pogs went up for sale, I put up a fancy-ish listing of the MOTHER 3 script, then there was MOTHER’s 20th anniversary, and to top it all off, we received acknowledgment from Shigesato Itoi. And the EarthBound Funktastic Gameplay started this week too. Lots of stuff.
Okay, so let’s take a look at everything that happened this week in more detail!
- New site design for August. Looks like it’s Dalaam. I always really liked the colors Dalaam uses. I thought it would’ve been Dusty Dunes this month, but my memory isn’t what it used to be.
- I put up an early version of MOTHER 3’s script, which you can browse and see all kinds of neat and unused stuff!
- I was so busy last week with the MOTHER anniversary page and the MOTHER 3 script thing that I only got to put a few hours into the MOTHER 1+2 project. Even so, I’m happy with how it’s going now. I’m finding lots of neat things in the text, so I might someday make a page that lists the literal MOTHER 1 text next to the EarthBound Zero text for comparison purposes.
- The MOTHER series turned 20 this past week! – took an entire weekend to put this together 😯
- Itoi acknowledges foreign fans the day after MOTHER’s anniversary
- Reggie answers a question about MOTHER 3 at a company picnic
- Bill Trinen answers a question about MOTHER 3 at a Wii Sports Resort event
- EarthBound Funktastic Gameplay started the other day! – this is really fun 😀
- Rare EarthBound Pogs up for sale!
- EarthBound preview in Total! magazine
- Total!’s EarthBound review – one of the best reviews of the game I’ve seen
- NGC magazine’s review of MOTHER 3
- Check out MOTHER 3’s script!
Cool Auctions & Merchandise
The big merchandise news this past week was the set of rare, official EarthBound pogs. Some other neat things also turned up this week, here are just a few of them.
Remember that you can check to see what EarthBound/MOTHER stuff is currently on eBay at any time here!
- Your best chance to get a giant Mr. Saturn plushie for cheap!
- MOTHER 2 Official Soundtrack CD
- MOTHER 1 Official Soundtrack – Itoi played this at work the other day to celebrate the game’s anniversary 😀
- Cool official MOTHER 2 manga – this was relisted this week, still a very good deal!
- Official EarthBound / MOTHER 2 piano book – super rare!
- MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box complete – includes “Flanklin Badge” too
- MOTHER 1 cart if you want to add one to your collection
- EarthBound + guide + bonus cards – “Scent of cards is buyer’s responsibility” = ?????
- SNES + 35 games, including EarthBound!
And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:
- MOTHER 2 advertisement flier – rare and cheaper than that other non-selling one
- MOTHER 2 + a MOTHER 2 guide I’ve never, ever seen before! 😯 – someone please get this and let us know more about it!
- Itoi’s ramen card game for cheap!
And some stuff on Amazon:
- One thing I noticed this week was that none of the major Japanese MOTHER sites remembered it was the 20th anniversary of MOTHER 1 on July 27th. But after Itoi made his post (thanks to us 😛 ) I saw message boards and blogs saying things like, “Oh yeah, I just remembered after seeing Itoi’s post!” Some blogs were even like, “Wow, foreign fans are so active! I really wish they would release MOTHER 3 for them!” I’ve actually seen that sentiment whenever MOTHER stuff is in gaming news, so it’s cool to know that Japanese fans are sympathetic toward us.
- Remember this? Well, she got into Nintendo Power! See here 😀
- Jeremy Parish and MOTHER’s 20th birthday
- MOTHER 4 fangame blog started
- Mother has been earthbound for 20 years, bound for US just as long
- Mother of all tributes: fan community celebrates 20 years of Earthbound
- EarthBound celebrates 20th anniversary
- Mother Turns 20
- EarthBound Blog: EBFGP 2009 is here!
- 20 anos de Mother (EarthBound)!
- Video en Honor de 20 años de Earthbound
- TomBobBlender’s Mother Marathon (and the history of Mother)
- Happy 20th Birthday, MOTHER!
- Analise de Mother 3 pelo site WiiBrasil
- La saga MOTHER cumple 20 años
- Auguri a Mother: 20 anni
- Heroes of MOTHER 3 forum game
- The Nintendo Saga forum game
- Of Pigs and Masks comic updated
- The Chosen Four comic updated
- Birdy & Chimera comic updated
- Ness and Jeff movie series!
I smell, so I can’t keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!
What’s Up With Itoi
- The big thing this week was of course Itoi talking about MOTHER and overseas fans.
- He also talked about now that he’s older, more and more people he knows are passing away, and that it kind of feels like when you’re a kid playing outside with other kids and slowly, one by one, the other kids leave (to go back home for dinner or whatever). That evening twilight-ish feeling is what he feels. But he says that just like when he was a kid, he plans to keep playing long into the night and only leave when there’s absolutely no time left for playing.
This past week turned out to be awesome. I don’t think this next week will even come close to it, but we’ll see what happens. I don’t have anything special in store, so I’ll mostly just do my usual thing and try to clear out the submission queue some more. Sorry to those people who’re still waiting for their stuff to get posted 🙁
I remember when it was MOTHER’s 10th anniversary and Japanese sites were all excited. reid and I had just started EarthBound.Net, and because I knew basic Japanese I was in contact with many of the Japanese website owners. We all had a celebration chat thing going on, in fact here’s the post update I made 10 years ago about it. And here are screenshots of the chat. I showed these pics to MNA the other day and he was amazed that pics of it existed after 10 years, heh.
Anyway, that ends my nostalgic look back at old nerdiness!
Other Related Posts:
14 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #29
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...