August 2nd, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

Oh man, was this last week jam-packed with big EarthBound stuff 😯

We heard from Reggie and Bill Trinen, we looked at some big EarthBound and MOTHER 3 reviews, rare EarthBound pogs went up for sale, I put up a fancy-ish listing of the MOTHER 3 script, then there was MOTHER’s 20th anniversary, and to top it all off, we received acknowledgment from Shigesato Itoi. And the EarthBound Funktastic Gameplay started this week too. Lots of stuff.

Okay, so let’s take a look at everything that happened this week in more detail!

Site News

• New site design for August. Looks like it’s Dalaam. I always really liked the colors Dalaam uses. I thought it would’ve been Dusty Dunes this month, but my memory isn’t what it used to be.
  • I put up an early version of MOTHER 3’s script, which you can browse and see all kinds of neat and unused stuff!
  • I was so busy last week with the MOTHER anniversary page and the MOTHER 3 script thing that I only got to put a few hours into the MOTHER 1+2 project. Even so, I’m happy with how it’s going now. I’m finding lots of neat things in the text, so I might someday make a page that lists the literal MOTHER 1 text next to the EarthBound Zero text for comparison purposes.

EarthBound News

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

The big merchandise news this past week was the set of rare, official EarthBound pogs. Some other neat things also turned up this week, here are just a few of them.

Remember that you can check to see what EarthBound/MOTHER stuff is currently on eBay at any time here!

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

And some stuff on Amazon:

Community News

I smell, so I can’t keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

What’s Up With Itoi

• The big thing this week was of course Itoi talking about MOTHER and overseas fans.
  • He also talked about now that he’s older, more and more people he knows are passing away, and that it kind of feels like when you’re a kid playing outside with other kids and slowly, one by one, the other kids leave (to go back home for dinner or whatever). That evening twilight-ish feeling is what he feels. But he says that just like when he was a kid, he plans to keep playing long into the night and only leave when there’s absolutely no time left for playing.

Upcoming Stuff

This past week turned out to be awesome. I don’t think this next week will even come close to it, but we’ll see what happens. I don’t have anything special in store, so I’ll mostly just do my usual thing and try to clear out the submission queue some more. Sorry to those people who’re still waiting for their stuff to get posted 🙁

End

I remember when it was MOTHER’s 10th anniversary and Japanese sites were all excited. reid and I had just started EarthBound.Net, and because I knew basic Japanese I was in contact with many of the Japanese website owners. We all had a celebration chat thing going on, in fact here’s the post update I made 10 years ago about it. And here are screenshots of the chat. I showed these pics to MNA the other day and he was amazed that pics of it existed after 10 years, heh.

Anyway, that ends my nostalgic look back at old nerdiness!

14 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #29

Chimera said on Aug. 2, 2009

I would buy that M2 and the mysterious guide, but I need to save money for PAX.

sg_06 said on Aug. 2, 2009

Itoi says some of the most profound stuff sometimes…

Also, lol at oversea sympathies.

Sisto said on Aug. 2, 2009

I can’t understand why that plush is still $135!

Poe said on Aug. 2, 2009

Tomato from 10 years in the past! It’s weird reading old stuff because you don’t talk like that anymore. I’m very ashamed of the crap I used to talk about 10 years ago.

Poe said on Aug. 2, 2009

Oh wait, I have a question – you said that girl’s art got into Nintendo Power and then you gave a link, but I can’t find anything about it there. Am I missing something or was the link incorrect (or does nobody have a scan yet?)

Spitball Sparky said on Aug. 2, 2009

Locria and New Pork Island make this an excellent week.

It was a good experience.

Mato said on Aug. 2, 2009

Her Chimera didn’t get into the magazine, but she did.

Mr. Jupiter said on Aug. 2, 2009

Mother4 looks to be the first Earthbound game I’ll ever play…

Xi said on Aug. 2, 2009

“There are some marks and signs of wear on the front and back side on all pogs and some pogs have indentations and bend marks… the pogs were stuck together… black marks on the back side of some of the pogs… one pog is peeling slightly on the edge.”

Plus

“The photo shown has been enhanced and is not an exact representation of the actual colors of these items.”

Gotta love that Photoshop when you want to make good quality bucks off of bad quality items.

santiagoff said on Aug. 2, 2009

Sympathetic Japanese Fans? That seriously surprises me, I thought they’d have a really bad image of us.
And lol at the 10th anniversary screens, that is awesome! :3
Somehow, I remember a japanese website, which is in the links of EB central, that shows a chat between you and the site owner. I might search for it sometime.

Kalico said on Aug. 2, 2009

Yay, thanks for the shoutout! Yup, I’m in Nintendo Power :D.
I sent them lots of photos after they interviewed me, and I sent them the Chimera, too, but they didn’t put it in :\. Sad. Oh well, it’s on my website…so at least those who are interested can still see it :D.

UltraGamer93 said on Aug. 3, 2009

That Mother 4 fangame looks very promising. :O

LucasTizma said on Aug. 5, 2009

Ooookay, Mato, I acquired that MOTHER 3 guide you didn’t have. As soon as my HUUUUGE Celga package comes in, I can takes pics or whatever or any of the stuff you might want to look at.

LucasTizma said on Aug. 5, 2009

… And by MOTHER 3, I mean MOTHER 2 …