August 11th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Vonyco made a video showing some similarities between MOTHER 3 music and other music. Some of them are obvious, while others might be coincidences, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

While on the subject, you should also check out this old post about MOTHER 3’s battle music. Dan Bruno has done some detailed analysis on some of the game’s music, so check out his stuff.

It’d be cool to have a full list of similarities and obvious inspirations/copies someday, kind of like what I did with EarthBound music a few months ago. I’m not very cultured when it comes to music though, if people can list such things (maybe post stuff in the comments here) I can put together a full list for a future article. What few I’m aware of are from classical music like this:

And Audacious March from MOTHER 3:

Anyway, if anybody knows of any other things like this, just post them in the comments!

49 Comments to Some MOTHER 3 Music Similarities

Phil L said on Aug. 11, 2009

It’s absolutely freaky how similar those pieces of music are to each other!

Dante said on Aug. 11, 2009

Excelent Post! The Kid of the video is really like Porky xD
If I found more stuff like this I will report 🙂
But I doubt being able to do it, because you do an excellent job with this blog!!

Jeagle101 said on Aug. 11, 2009

I never realized the NKC music sounded similar to Beat It… Wow.

Saturnome said on Aug. 11, 2009

It’s missing Lord’s Passion music, made of:

– Bach’s Toccata & Fugue
– Handel’s Messiah
– Vivaldi’s Spring

SmaMan said on Aug. 11, 2009

I’ve posted this similarity on other topics that talked about this but to reiterate…

Mother 3’s “Forest Prayer Sanctuary”

The refrain of Michael Jackson’s “Lady in my Life”
(It first comes in first about 1 minute into the song)

Ice Sage said on Aug. 11, 2009

WTF was that thing shown during the 2nd Mr. Saturn Theme!?! O_O

I’ve always liked how the MOTHER series’ music is literally a ton of references to real songs. The Audacious March one was amazing – who would think of that? I’m very musically-inclined, so I love stuff like this!

Pyroguy42 said on Aug. 11, 2009

Yay!, Glad I bring that to your attention Tomato. Though you probably already found it out. =P

Pyroguy42 said on Aug. 11, 2009

@Ice Sage, I belive that is blobby fish. I maybe wrong on the name, but its creepy

Aisu said on Aug. 11, 2009

It’s a Blobfish

santiagoff said on Aug. 11, 2009

Natural Killer Cyborg also reminds me of Wily Stage 1 from Megaman 2.

DavemanDeluxe said on Aug. 11, 2009

That was great. I recognized the Gymnopedie the instant I heard it in the game–I learned that piece years ago for a piano recital. =)

5ku112 said on Aug. 11, 2009

Whoever is buying the mother 3 cartridge for 27+ dollars and keeps outbidding me, could you please let me have the cartridge? iv’e never ever played he game, I was introduced to the game when I found starmen.net and iv’e always wanted to play it but couldn’t because I don’t have a computer (typing from phone) Whoever you are could you either stop bidding or let me have the cartridge.

Please. I really want to play the game on gameboy advance, and I cant emulate it because I dont have a computer. I hope you understand. Thanks.

Wil said on Aug. 11, 2009

It seems weird to reference so many songs.. I guess that it fits with the wackiness of the Mother worlds though.

NeonSquid said on Aug. 11, 2009

Wow! I didn’t know the His Highness Theme had a Godzilla reference in it

Poe said on Aug. 11, 2009

I really want to meet that Pokey kid.

psirocker said on Aug. 11, 2009

Whoa, it’s kind of weird that Beat It sounds so similar. No Beatles???

L95 said on Aug. 11, 2009

I so wanna meet that porky dude.

Saturnome said on Aug. 11, 2009

The “Pokey kid” is from the cover of a Fatboy Slim album

douglas said on Aug. 11, 2009

This doesn’t have anything to do with Mother 3, but I always thought that the bus music from Earthbound sounded a lot like Pipeline.
listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09C8clJaXo

Ice Sage said on Aug. 11, 2009

Thanks, Pyroguy42 and Aisu! 🙂
What a fitting name. Ugh.

By the way, that Pigmask Piano Medley that the first video links to is awesome!

Edracon said on Aug. 11, 2009

@Ice Sage: The ting they show when the Mr. Saturn music is playing is non-other than a Blobfish (Psychrolutes marcidus)

MagusDuality said on Aug. 12, 2009

Whoa! The Saturn Valley Theme is REALLY similar to the Mr. Saturn Theme!

Anyways, cool list, I liked the thing w/ King P.’s theme and the Godzilla theme, that’s cool.

questionsleep said on Aug. 12, 2009

So, which of the music is actually unique?
=\

Keiji Dragon said on Aug. 12, 2009

I HAVE TO do a mash-up of Beat It and Natural Killer Cyborg some day!

I didn’t notice the similarity and I was blown away.

Chimera said on Aug. 12, 2009

And all this time I thought Mother 3 didn’t have any music similarities.

UltraGamer93 said on Aug. 12, 2009

Godzilla and 20th Century Fox were completely unexpected. HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO BLIND?! D;

SamWibatt said on Aug. 12, 2009

I’ve always thought the Magypsy song was a jazzed-up version of Pachelbel’s Canon in D:

Gurp said on Aug. 13, 2009

Gotta admit, never thought I’d see Godzilla in a list of similarities.

PSIchopath said on Aug. 16, 2009

Gosh, that fish at the end looks more like belch than a satun!

BlueLightning said on Aug. 19, 2009

OMG! PORKY’S SMOKING!!!! ALERT THE EARTHBOUND MEDIA!!!!!

Claus said on Aug. 21, 2009

I actually noticed how the N.K. Cyborg theme and Beat it sound alike when I was in the car one day.

G.Wicks said on Aug. 23, 2009

Same here. it dawned on me after an extensively long king of pop itunes playlist marathon a few weeks ago.

Mr. Crosser said on Aug. 25, 2009

I always thought that the beginning of N.K. Cyborg was similar to Iron man. :/

Nick said on Aug. 31, 2009

The mole battle music bares a striking resemblance to Zelda’s garden in Ocarina of Time

JohnJohnnyMan said on Sep. 1, 2009

Saturn Theme Z always reminded me of a Bar Mitzvah or something

samui said on Sep. 1, 2009

I never thought that N.K. Cyborg theme and Beat It sounded alike, though I can hear some kind of similarity. It reminds me more of Dr.Wily’s stage from Mega Man 2. The beginning also reminds me of Ironman.

MOTHERMoondance-- said on Sep. 8, 2009

micheal jackson

anonymous said on Sep. 10, 2009

I can’t believe I never got the New Pork City sample!!

You also forgot Thomas’ Bazaar having a sample of Back in the U.S.S.R by the Beatles. Track number 50 btw!

BenZynx said on Nov. 10, 2009

Unfounded Revenge – 3rd mvmt of Shostakovich Symphony 6

ghostgirl21696 said on Jan. 8, 2010

Michael Jackson…and mother 3 o_0

Still, really awesome!

Some Rope Snake said on Jan. 15, 2010

I may be too late, but It’s better late than never!

…Some people think the Mr. Batty theme was just having the dududus but It’s actually a smash up of the old batman theme and this one!

Kyoo said on Mar. 7, 2010

the one I’m shocked I didn’t notice was the Godzilla. I mean… I LOVE GODZILLA! (star flies across) the more you know!

Ricardo said on Mar. 23, 2010

Michael Jackson and SONIC 3 = Nice
Michael Jackson and MOTHER 3 = Amazing

Miche said on Nov. 8, 2010

I’m surprised that no one’s mentioned that the tunes of “Monkey’s Delivery Service” and “Mind of a Thief” sound very similar in tune to the verses of the song “One Hundred Years” by (I believe) Five for Fighting.

Miche said on Nov. 19, 2010

Did I say “Mind of a Thief?” That was a mistake. I meant to say “Gentle Rain” above.

Kyle said on Oct. 19, 2011

Am I the only one who gets a Twin Peaks vibe from Cerulean Beach?

adam said on Dec. 6, 2011

Kyle, no you’re not. It sounds really similar to some of the music they use in Twin Peaks. Maybe they were based on the same genre of music?

I know that the David Lynch movie, Blue Velvet and Mother 3 share the song Honkey Tonk by Bill Doggett. It’s the club Titiboo theme.

Tanetane Island is definitively something terrifying enough to be from a David Lynch movie. The whole theme of American life, and hidden darkness from Mother 2 seem pretty similar to eachother.

adam said on Dec. 6, 2011

They have the same…rolling beat sound? I’m not a musical person I don’t know. Thanks for mentioning this.

zeldafan128 said on May. 17, 2013

Kinda late to the party, but 00:05 to 00:12 of Hey, Brother! Gimme an A! sound just like the first eight seconds or so of Don’t Take Me Alive by Steely Dan, which was made 30 years or so before.