August 8th, 2009 | Hacking, MOTHER 3

There’s a bug in MOTHER 3 (in the Japanese version and translated version) where Dr. Andonuts’ trash can displays completely wrong text. I chalked it up to a bug that I had seen before while working on the translation, but after working on this I realized that assumption was wrong.

Anyway, since Jeffman has more experience with that aspect of the hacking, he gave it a look-see and managed to find the bug and fix it. Here’s a before and after:

It’s not a major line or anything, but it’s nice to see a bug like that fixed. Strange that the Japanese testers never noticed it, it was a one-byte fix. Sadly, this fix isn’t in the 1.1 version of the translation patch, but if a new version of the patch should ever come out, this fix will be included.

Also, if you haven’t seen it yet, I posted the MOTHER 3 script online, and it includes many unused lines and such. People are especially interested by this block of text lately it seems. Keep looking around and see what you can find.

Who knows, maybe some year when the ROM’s layout is better understood, we’ll find unused event data and actually see all this unused text in action 😀

19 Comments to MOTHER 3 Missing Line Fixed

Krennthief said on Aug. 8, 2009

Somehow, I find the bugged text to be more funny, probably just because it isn’t right at all…

Hey said on Aug. 8, 2009

Holy crap! That’s one important piece of unused text!

Goddammit, man. That’s not cool. I was expecting you to make a post if you saw such a huge important bit of unused text. Am I supposed to search all around the script to discover it myself?

Mato said on Aug. 8, 2009

Uh, if you read the post that I linked to, you’ll see that I posted the script BECAUSE I need people to go through it. You can see people’s findings in the comments there. I’m not your butler 😛

Spitball Sparky said on Aug. 8, 2009

Mother 3 English Patch v.1.1 ~ Doughnut Crumbs Edition

The first time I saw that line (the incorrectly placed one) I wasn’t even sure if it was wrong at all…I mean, it is providing factual information. Murasaki Hot Spring IS to the left of that location.

santiagoff said on Aug. 8, 2009

@Hey: Why are you being so harsh?!
And he did make a post about it before! >:0

BTW Mato, do you know which block contains the script for the final battle? I mean, part of it must be in block 0, but the text that was actually in the dungeon must be in another. Thing is, I can’t find that one block. Do you know by chance which is it?

Mato said on Aug. 8, 2009

Battle text is in its own separate thing, it’s not part of the main script. I’ll post all the non-script text at some point, it was hard enough finding time to work on getting the main text up.

Poe said on Aug. 8, 2009

Mato! The doorbell is ringing! Go answer it, for your father’s sake!! And no more snarky remarks when you leave the room or you’re fired.

Ice Sage said on Aug. 8, 2009

That block you indicated certainly throws a lot more emphasis on the title of MOTHER, doesn’t it? Very interesting.

As I’ve said before, I love stuff like this, so I’m definitely going to trawl through as much of the script as I can.

Someone Else said on Aug. 8, 2009

That text seems appropriate for right after Leder’s speech…I wonder what the reason for leaving it out was?

Jungyin said on Aug. 8, 2009

Maybe you can put the script in the Cool Stuff section to make it easier for new people to find. Or did you decide to wait because it’s still a beta?

Gummidge said on Oct. 25, 2009

That is a VERY major line! My life is now complete with the knowledge that Dr. Andonuts got his donut.

pkstarstorm1up said on Nov. 11, 2009

So that’s what it was about. I was wondering why his name was Andonuts it’s because he likes donuts! cool find.

darkzzii said on Nov. 29, 2009

•……………
•Family, huh…
•I wonder what ol’ Ionia’s up to…

this one i found most interasting

mr.yoshiboy64 said on Jan. 30, 2010

Lol some times bugs are funny… some times they are horibly bad

Staarf said on Feb. 13, 2010

I always thought that was a joke, like how he said, “No problem here.” over and over again.

I guess I was wrong. 🙂

Dark Jaguar said on May. 29, 2010

I submit a solution that includes BOTH lines :D, namely so you can safely say that not only did you keep the original game’s glitch, you also repaired it :D.

Here’s my modified lines. *return* indicates that you need to press A to see the next part.

<- Murasaki Hot Spring
Refresh your tired body. *return*
… *return*
Is what the sign in the garbage can says. *return*
… *return*
The bottom of the garbage can is littered with doughnut crumbs. *end*

I think that works the originally intended line in there while simultaneously making fun of the orignal glitch in what I hope is a very Mother-ish sense of humor.

gamrman130 said on Jul. 31, 2011

garbedge cans are awsome!

Zoom! said on Aug. 9, 2011

I love the burgers i find in the trash 🙂

Pikachu said on Dec. 4, 2011

•What was your mom like, [LUCAS 23 02 00]?
•Was she nice?
•…Huh?
•No, uhh, it’s just that I have no memory of my
mom.
•I only asked ’cause I wondered what it’s like to
have one.

I’m guessing it’s like this…
Duster: What was your mom like, [LUCAS 23 02 00]?
Duster: Was she nice?
Lucas: …Huh?
Duster: No, uhh, it’s just that I have no memory of my
mom.
Duster: I only asked ’cause I wondered what it’s like to
have one.

I don’t remember this line… is it used?