Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW

August 6th, 2009 | Images, MOTHER 3

Z-Master sent this in the other day, it’s a scan of an article in the official French Nintendo magazine (akin to Nintendo Power) about MOTHER 3 that was printed in June 2006.

(click to enlarge)

Here’s a translation of the article, courtesy of DavemanDeluxe!

Much like its predecessors, Mother 3 is (obviously!) a real UFO. We identify it…

Originally announced more than ten years ago for the Super Famicom (the Japanese version of the Super Nintendo), then tumbled to the N64, then finally cancelled, Mother 3 suddenly resurfaced during the announcement of the double remake Mother 1+2, released exclusively in the land of the Rising Sun for the GBA. The West knew little of this story, since only the second part was released in the USA under the title EarthBound, and which today has a core group of passionate fans. From this same opus, we also know the character Ness, thanks to his appearance in Super Smash Bros. Melee. After Mother was buried by Shigeru Yamauchi, the old Nintendo executive who still guides the company after his well-earned retirement, Shigesato Itoi, the celebrated writer and game creator, a free spirit on the edges of the Japanese video game scene, arrived as one of the creative geniuses of Nintendo. Truly, Mother 3 is not an RPG like any other: here, there are no dungeons or dragons, no intergalactic voyages, but instead a band of ordinary people who reluctantly embark on a strange adventure unencumbered by realism. The adventure is set in a little village in the Far West which is the site of an unexpected visit of aliens with pigs’ heads. Clearly unpeaceful, they hasten to set fire to the forest and release a very dangerous species of insects.

ABRACADABRANTESQUE

The game consists of a number of chapters, each one set with a distinct personality. Everything is completely remarkable, with retro designs that evoke a caricature of certain classic computer adventure games with its color palette and its combat system. Against a backgrop of psychidelic backgrounds, the gamer must multiply his attacks (numerous and of high quality) by tapping the button as close as possible to the tempo of the melody. The humor, unlike that which you usually see in a Nintendo production, concentrates on a multitude of hilarious visual details as much as in the dialogue. In Mother 3, you meet a transvestite, drink alcohol, and chow down on hallucinogenic mushrooms! All we can do is pray that old Europe is not once again forgotten, that we can finally discover one of the most bizarre and best-kept joys hidden in the factories of the dreams of Nintendo.

If anyone can provide a full scan (looks like a lot of stuff is cut out on the right side of the current scan) that’d be swell 😀

16 Comments to MOTHER 3 in NLMO Magazine

Userofdoom said on Aug. 6, 2009

I could try my hand at translating this, I know some french. I’ll try do this sometime with my mom, she knows much more than I do 🙂

Difegue said on Aug. 6, 2009

French is my main language, and I have to say Z-Master summarized it perfectly. There is no need for a complete translation when you have that B)

kamuikurou said on Aug. 6, 2009

Thanks for the screenshot! And I actually would like a full translation too, although Z-Master’s comment is enough. And the magazine seems to enjoy the game alot even though they didn’t understand anything. 😀

DavemanDeluxe said on Aug. 6, 2009

I’m working on a French translation right now. I’m having a lot of trouble with the sentence halfway through the first column about Shigeru Yamauchi and Shigesato Itoi. If anybody can help figure it out, that would be quite helpful. Here’s the best I could think up (though it doesn’t make much sense):

“After Mother was buried by Shigeru Yamauchi, the old Nintendo executive who still guides the company after his well-earned retirement, presented like one of the creative geniuses of Nintendo: Shigesato Itoi, the celebrated writer and game creator, a free spirit on the edges of the Japanese video game scene.”

starmaster said on Aug. 6, 2009

That’s a pretty neat article. It’s too bad they got some details wrong though, but any press for Mother 3 is good press!

Userofdoom said on Aug. 6, 2009

Ah, it seems that others will do it. Never mind for me, then!

SBlaster said on Aug. 6, 2009

Did they menition TESS? Just kidding, if you don’t get it read the other european scan

bobbyjkl said on Aug. 6, 2009

A small village in the far west (aka america?) receives a visit from the pig headed aliens…

If they’ve made it to the mushrooms then they know pigmasks aren’t aliens, right…?

santiagoff said on Aug. 6, 2009

Cool. Seriously, cool! owo

Covarr said on Aug. 6, 2009

Not perfect (I’m pretty sure I messed up the sentence DavemanDeluxe mentioned), but here goes:

Like its ancestors, Mother 3 is (so to speak) a true spaceship.

Initially announced more than ten years ago for SFC (Japanese Super Nintendo), moved to N64, then finally cancelled, Mother 3 has suddenly resurfaced with the announcement of dual-remake Mother 1+2, released exclusively in the Land of the Rising Sun for the GBA. In this saga, the West knows has only gotten the second part, which was released in the USA under the title Earthbound, and has a hardcore fanbase. Similarly, we also know the character Ness, thanks to his appearance in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Hiding behind Mother is Shigeru Yamauchi, the former boss of Nintendo who has been at the reins of the company even after his well-deserved retirement, and a creative genius of Nintendo: Shigesato Itoi, famous lyricist and game designer, veritable free spirit of the Japanese gaming world. Mother 3 is truly unlike any other RPG: no dungeons or dragons, no intergalactic travel, just a bunch of ordinary people who fight in spite of themselves in a comical adventure that is not burdened with realism. The adventure begins in a small Far-Western town, which receives the unexpected visit of pig-headed aliens. Apparently they do not come in peace, as they are quick to set fire to the forest and let loose a plague of dangerous insects.

ABRACADABRICAL

The game consists of a series of chapters, each focusing on a distinct character.Everything is here prodigiously cool, retro designs that evoke the style characterized by some classic adventure games through the limited color palette and combat system. Set to a psychadelic background, the player must get combos by matching the tempo of the music as closely as possible. The humor, quite different from what we generally expect from a Nintendo product, is shown in a multitude of hilarious visual details as well as in the dialogue. Mother 3 blends a transvestite, a bit off alcohol, and even some hallucinogenic mushrooms! Now all that remains is for us to pray that the old Europe is not once again overlooked, and we can finally discover one of the most baroque gems and best things the dream factory Nintendo has to offer…

Nin10dude said on Aug. 7, 2009

Heh, Shigeru Yamauchi? From the way he’s described, it sounds as though they mean Hiroshi Yamauchi. I’m not sure Nintendo has a Shigeru Yamauchi; at least not anyone noteworthy. 😛

Z-Master said on Aug. 7, 2009

Well a complete translation is always better ^^’, I was just too lazy (and to afraid of messing up) to make one.

Anyway, thanks mato ! And for the other page, it’s just the other half of the cut screenshots and that’s it. Well, they comment the screenshots.

The little paragraph in the orange block says that even after ten years of waiting, the serie is as popular as it was, wich is proved by the sucess of Mother 3.

Btw, I can’t make a scan of the other page right now ’cause I’m on vacation :/.

Ice Sage said on Aug. 7, 2009

Pig-headed aliens…?

Well, that’s nowhere near as bad as Tess. It’s a really nice read, just some details are wrong. And it sounds as though the writer of the article wasn’t some little kid out to bash EarthBound with horrible grammar.

DavemanDeluxe said on Aug. 7, 2009

After thinking about it and getting some input at the WordReference forums, I think I get the gist of the sentence I had trouble with.

I think the idea is that Mr. Yamauchi was trying to keep Mother and Mr. Itoi under pretty tight wraps so that the game’s release and Mr. Itoi’s introduction as a free spirit in the game industry, would be especially dramatic.

Think about how Apple keeps all of its future products secret so that they’ll be especially dramatic when they unveil them to the public.

DavemanDeluxe said on Aug. 7, 2009

Now that I’ve read this comment thread, I think that Covarr’s translation for that sentence is correct. It’s far simpler than what I wrote a moment ago, and it fits better with the tenor of the piece. I’ll quote it:

“Hiding behind Mother is Shigeru Yamauchi, the former boss of Nintendo who has been at the reins of the company even after his well-deserved retirement, and a creative genius of Nintendo: Shigesato Itoi, famous lyricist and game designer, veritable free spirit of the Japanese gaming world.”

Thanks, Covarr! Consider myself slightly chastened. =)

Covarr said on Aug. 7, 2009

I don’t even speak French. I just used Google Translate (good) and Babelfish (awful), and then edited the hell out of it until it made sense. I got my mom’s help with that one sentence, but otherwise online translators gave me a good enough starting point that all I needed was to reword it a bit.

Find Merchandise!