EarthBound Player’s Guide PDFs
I saw a while back that someone said that MOTHER 3 was never mentioned in Nintendo Power. So here’s an article from a recent-ish issue of Nintendo Power that does mention MOTHER 3 and why it would never come out in English 😛
click to enlarge
“Unfortunately, the dialogue would take ages to translate into English, making the game’s chances of one day releasing here even more slim.”
If you count the first draft and subsequent drafts, it took me only 4 or 5 months to translate the script, and that was just on the side for free while I juggled a full-time job, relationship, sleep, other projects, etc. Surely it would’ve taken Nintendo much less than that to translate the text. The game also doesn’t have any more text than your average modern console RPG – in fact, it’s probably not a whole lot larger than EarthBound’s script was. Hard to say for sure because the EB script is so full of insane control codes and a full, clean EarthBound script dump has yet to be produced, but it’s somewhere in the same ballpark. So that’s a bunch of nonsense.
My offer still stands though – if Nintendo ever wants to use my translated text for whatever it wants, they’re more than free to have it at no cost. Some people at Nintendo know me and know how to contact me, so they can take up the offer whenever, whether it’s to use it as a basis for an official release or even just to print the script on company toilet paper.
Other Related Posts:
71 Comments to MOTHER 3 in Nintendo Power
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues