August 16th, 2009 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2

Just a very quick update today – I usually post mini-updates during the weekly roundups and on Twitter, but I know not everyone pays attention to those so here’s something here.

Basically, I spent a bunch of time editing and formatting the MOTHER 1 script and now the main text and enemy descriptions are done. Next, I’ll finish up some battle text and the final battle text and format them and such. And then I’ll go in and play stuff in context and make last-minute text tweaks.

While editing/formatting the text, I also compared each line to the EarthBound Zero lines. There’s a whole lot of interesting censorship, mistranslations, and just completely made-up stuff in the EarthBound Zero script. I started to make a list, but there were so many that I think I’ll just post the scripts side-by-side someday so people can browse them, kinda like I did with the MOTHER 3 script.

What little I’ve playtested so far definitely feels less Engrishy and less “we gotta chop this sentence in half to make it fit”-ish. And with the optional Easy Ring that I put into the game, the game is also a breeze to play through. I might still look into how to reduce the # of encounters and add that to one of the Easy Ring’s abilities, but I think that also might outweigh the experience boosts if you wind up fighting less. But we’ll see.

I haven’t messed with the font yet, I’ll do that when I’m finished with the battle text. There’s one thing I don’t look forward to hacking, but there’s no real way around it, unless I stick the entire text box at the top of the screen instead, which I don’t think would look very good. Basically, sometimes there are lines where you have to choose a character as an answer (like if you’re at the hospital or if you use a healing PSI) and my expanded text box gets in the way:

That’s the only hacking that looks like it’ll be a pain though. Anyway, I updated the project FAQ and crossed a few things off the to-do list.

39 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Update 5

Alxprit said on Aug. 16, 2009

I know you can do it, Tomato!

Sisto said on Aug. 16, 2009

Good luck, Mato.

Xi said on Aug. 16, 2009

Have you played Super Mario Bros. 7 yet?

santiagoff said on Aug. 16, 2009

You can do it! :3

Neon Squid said on Aug. 16, 2009

Awesome job! Are you going to finish the Mother 1 part and then release an incomplete patch with just Mother 1, while working on the Mother 2 part. Or are you going to finish both parts before you release the patch?

Rockin'Ness said on Aug. 16, 2009

I have an idea for the easy ring, but it would take up too much space… Basically, there would be two rings, the easy ring and the slow ring, and the slow ring would halve the number of random encounters, but that would obviously take up inventory space. (I haven’t actually used the easy ring, so I don’t know if you have to equip it or not, so my idea doesn’t work if you have to equip the easy ring. Also, my idea takes up too much inventory space if you don’t equip it…)

Anyways, great work Mato! I have to beat EarthBound Zero, then I’m gonna play this!

Briianz said on Aug. 16, 2009

Good Luck Tomato, I am counting on you.

Mato said on Aug. 16, 2009

Neon Squid: My plan is to release a patch when the M1 side is 100% done, and that patch will also include a basic menu/item/names, etc. translation for the M2 side also.

zombieslapper said on Aug. 16, 2009

Just wondering, but will the naming menu have a “Don’t Care” button for the patch?

MarioFan3 said on Aug. 16, 2009

Well, considering it starts on default names in other peoples hacks i think it might or might not, either way i don’t think it will be looked at until it’s at the tweaking stage

Steve! said on Aug. 16, 2009

It’d be nice if you fixed the text when you pick a character at the hospital was changed since it looked kinda weird in EB0.

Hey said on Aug. 16, 2009

Don’t post important updates only on Twitter please! I never use that site!

Mato said on Aug. 16, 2009

You don’t HAVE to use Twitter to follow my Twitter updates. You can simply view this page once in a while, or you can subscribe to the RSS feed here.

PSI Poker € said on Aug. 17, 2009

wow. this must be some serious shit to do
if i’d known stuff like that, i’d be willing to help but that’s not the case D:

motherfan mark 2 said on Aug. 17, 2009

can’t wait

Otter said on Aug. 19, 2009

This is going to be awesome!

Captain Bozo said on Aug. 21, 2009

Hey Tomato, do you think that it’s possible to port the retranslated script over to an EB0 rom? I think that would be better for me because I hear the music’s not fantastic on the GBA port.

Mato said on Aug. 21, 2009

I doubt it, I don’t think there’d be enough spare room in the ROM. But the Mother 1 music in Mother 1+2 is just fine. Only the music in the Mother 2 part is not as good.

Captain Bozo said on Aug. 21, 2009

Ah ok. There’s no way to expand an NES rom?

Mato said on Aug. 21, 2009

Not easily and not all the time, depends on each individual ROM. Also, because my translation uses larger text boxes and a few hacks, the EB0 version would have to be hacked up too, and I don’t have the time for that, and it might be harder to pull off some of the hacks with the NES.

smashmaniac2008 said on Aug. 30, 2009

YOU CAN DO IT MATO!!!

Haruspex said on Sep. 8, 2009

I love you so much for this, please have my babies!

Joey said on Sep. 17, 2009

Can not wait for it.

gabo1995 said on Oct. 7, 2009

I Can’t Wait for it, it is going to be awesome!!!! i hope that on the next update mother 1 is finished, so that would mean that mother 2/earthbound is the only one left to translate! i hope jeffman can do it good!!!
i will be patient for the next update!!!!!
MATO, YOU’RE THE BEST!!!!!!, YOU TOO JEFFMAN!!!!! earthbound forever!!!!

Patcheresu said on Nov. 22, 2009

Keep up the great work! Ya know, my brother doesn’t like Earthbound BECAUSE it is a break from common RPGs. He aslo said I’m the worst gamer ever because I said if I can tell the diffrence between light green and dark green, the graphics are ok. Also, PM me on starmen.net or on patcheresu@gmail.com as Patcheresu, how do you get those Earthbound Central Badges?

Me said on Nov. 24, 2009

It would be good to translate the game like it was as earthbound.
The mother 1+2 version was in my opinion changed in a bad way.
(except for the run option)

Anonymous said on Nov. 24, 2009

If you figure out how to prevent random encounters perhaps make it into a toggled item (if possible) or perhaps another ring to wear. Easy ring is good for pumping up your rewards from winning fights and the Breeze Ring could be used to just walk around without conflict.

Anon said on May. 11, 2010

Are you guys still….alive? 🙁

Kyoo said on May. 11, 2010

I’m not 🙁

anon said on Aug. 12, 2010

Hello…………anybody?

anon said on Sep. 24, 2010

………………hello……..? 🙁

Breakin' Benny said on Oct. 23, 2010

…….Is this translation still being worked on, has it already died and been cancelled or are you busy with your lives?

TheZunar123 said on Dec. 30, 2010

I have an idea for the problem of the expanded text boxes! When you have to select a party member, the text box will contract back to the way it is in M1/EB0, and after you select one (or if you cancel), the text box will expand back out again.

Comickid said on Dec. 30, 2010

Hm…for the Mother 2 translation, couldn’t you use Earthbound as a guide?

Milla the Icecarl said on Jan. 4, 2011

It’s the hacking, not the translating, that’s the hard part.

Mother Bound said on Feb. 24, 2011

I think I know how you can fix this, Mato. (And I do mean “think”)

How about you use a lot of spaces when you have to select a character? Example:

(NOTE: This is just an example made in Paint.)

mother1+2 to america said on Jan. 27, 2013

can you play mother 1+2 on android because i have gameboid and the patch but i cant figure out how to patch it

NintendoFan122 said on Mar. 2, 2013

Mato, if you had a job at Nintendo would you try and get the MOTHER 2 side of MOTHER 1+2 on the 3DS eshop

Mato said on Mar. 2, 2013