EarthBound Zero Remake
Basically, I spent a bunch of time editing and formatting the MOTHER 1 script and now the main text and enemy descriptions are done. Next, I’ll finish up some battle text and the final battle text and format them and such. And then I’ll go in and play stuff in context and make last-minute text tweaks.
While editing/formatting the text, I also compared each line to the EarthBound Zero lines. There’s a whole lot of interesting censorship, mistranslations, and just completely made-up stuff in the EarthBound Zero script. I started to make a list, but there were so many that I think I’ll just post the scripts side-by-side someday so people can browse them, kinda like I did with the MOTHER 3 script.
What little I’ve playtested so far definitely feels less Engrishy and less “we gotta chop this sentence in half to make it fit”-ish. And with the optional Easy Ring that I put into the game, the game is also a breeze to play through. I might still look into how to reduce the # of encounters and add that to one of the Easy Ring’s abilities, but I think that also might outweigh the experience boosts if you wind up fighting less. But we’ll see.
I haven’t messed with the font yet, I’ll do that when I’m finished with the battle text. There’s one thing I don’t look forward to hacking, but there’s no real way around it, unless I stick the entire text box at the top of the screen instead, which I don’t think would look very good. Basically, sometimes there are lines where you have to choose a character as an answer (like if you’re at the hospital or if you use a healing PSI) and my expanded text box gets in the way:
That’s the only hacking that looks like it’ll be a pain though. Anyway, I updated the project FAQ and crossed a few things off the to-do list.
Other Related Posts:
39 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Update 5
Featured Item on eBay:
EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...
- StarmanAlex: JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY
- adex: “Mother2fan” is just some perverted eurocreep who thinks females should be subjected to the naked male form whenever the...