EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

August 21st, 2009 | Smash Bros., Videos

Since this week seems to be full of 3D-related EarthBound stuff, let’s continue with that theme. You know how Onett is a stage in Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl? Surely you’ve wanted to go around and see what the town is like, especially far in the background where you can see some houses and even the meteorite on the hill. Well, here’s a look at all of it!

Pretty neat. From directly above, the town reminds me of the towns in Actraiser. Anybody willing to hack EarthBound towns into that game? 😉

44 Comments to Exploring Onett in Smash Bros.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Aug. 21, 2009

The level of detail in these stages is great.

Supakitsune said on Aug. 21, 2009

pooppoop said on Aug. 21, 2009

i find the lack of sharks disturbing

Metroifd545 said on Aug. 21, 2009

Oh yeah I remember doing this like 6 months ago I was so happy too see the meteor

EarthBoundRules said on Aug. 21, 2009

You should see some of the other stages like Bridge of Elden or Lylat Cruise. The amount of detail is mindblowing.

Evan said on Aug. 21, 2009

Seeing stages outside of their borders is pretty interesting to someone who’s sort of an amateur video game mapper. Everybody else is marvelling at all the stuff you’d never see in this stage, I’m busy taking notes on how they optimized the level to show all that junk without making it lag to death.

Jimi said on Aug. 21, 2009

It’s funny that you mention Actraiser, I recently just beat both of those, as well as the Soul trilogy, and I plan on marching through the rest of Quintets games. Whatever happened to them, seriously?

Metroid_maniac said on Aug. 21, 2009

You should check out New Pork City with the Unrestricted Camera. It’s brilliant. Really.

Lothis said on Aug. 21, 2009

I took a look at NPC once on pause. I noted that it was mostly accurate as it appears in MOTHER 3 except for the King Statue and the Tree area.

On a note related to the video. I never noticed the pink Cadillac before.

santiagoff said on Aug. 21, 2009

That’s a kinda cheap way to make graphics… but that makes it run at 60fps. So… yeah, it’s cool.

Someone Else said on Aug. 21, 2009

In New Pork City in Brawl, the cardboard cutout of the laboratory says RABO on it. Even though it says LABO in MOTHER 3. Strange, eh?

Ice Sage said on Aug. 21, 2009

You would never be able to tell that the hotel or the game arcade was even in the stage if you didn’t do this. That’s really too bad, since those two buildings would have been a lot more interesting to notice and look at in the background, EB fan or not. Is that empty area in the very front of the stage a (partial) baseball diamond?

What would have been cool was if we found Giant Step up near the houses and meteor by doing this. 😀

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on Aug. 21, 2009

I remember this, especially the fuzzy “images” they used in the back!

Claus said on Aug. 21, 2009

There’s so many things missing that it reminds me of a typical MOTHER town layout.

??? said on Aug. 21, 2009

Someone Else: It’s common Engrish, Clawgrip was miswriten as Clawglip in the SMB2 credits for example.

Someone Else said on Aug. 21, 2009

@???: But if it was a graphic taken straight from MOTHER 3, why would they alter it from how it was?

Jungyin said on Aug. 21, 2009

Maybe “Labo” is a trademark or something.

avernales12 said on Aug. 21, 2009

i dunno maybe bkuz there weird like that just like how they were not gunna let ness in brawl or how they let lucas in brawl but not in melee

JamesBond007 said on Aug. 21, 2009

Nintendo should make Super Smash Bros. 3D!

Steve! said on Aug. 21, 2009

I’m amazed at the amount of detail, I just wonder why they would make it so detailed if you can’t normally see a lot of stuff in the background.

LordKarnov42 said on Aug. 21, 2009

@avernales12

Melee was released in 2001…
Two years before Mother 3 was even announced.

JB2448 said on Aug. 21, 2009

What really interests me is the fact that Nintendo censored the red hospital cross from Melee in Brawl.

Jeagle101 said on Aug. 21, 2009

I love how they have the Meteorite there 😀

LightningLuigi said on Aug. 21, 2009

LordKarnov42: While Melee was being developed, EarthBound 64 hadn’t been offically canceled. Rumor has is Lucas was planned to be in Melee in the early stages of development, but was dropped when EB64 was canceled.

Millhouse said on Aug. 22, 2009

how do you get the unrestricted camera?

Metroid_maniac said on Aug. 22, 2009

@Millhouse

It’s a cheat code through a (free) Wii Cheating App called Ocarina.

SmaMan said on Aug. 22, 2009

@Someone Else

Perhaps Tomato changed it? I know that from English to Japanese Rs and Ls get shuffled up quite a bit.

Mato said on Aug. 22, 2009

It was LABO in the Japanese Mother 3, we changed it to LAB for the translation, just like they did with EarthBound.

In my own personal and professional experience, it’s quite common for this sort of thing to happen in Japanese stuff, so the RABO wasn’t too much of a surprise. As far as most people are concerned over there, there’s no real difference.

Ryoff said on Aug. 22, 2009

Just curious, but what does it say on that plaque?

thesage said on Aug. 23, 2009

Though I have a hacked Wii with brawl+ which comes with this code, I remember using AR to look at all the melee stages. I’ve always been dissapointed with the inaccuracies in the SSBM Onett stage

Saturnome said on Aug. 23, 2009

Why you people say this is all invisible detail? one can see the arcade, meteorite and stuff without hacking or anyting.

And I always thought those houses in the background were in 3D. hmm.

Wolfy said on Aug. 23, 2009

@Metroid_maniac:

Gecko’s much better than Ocarina. Gecko can handle about 30 times more code lines iirc

adam said on Aug. 29, 2009

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O i wonder if you can see Frankenstein mark 2

adam said on Aug. 29, 2009

:b

Hunter said on Sep. 6, 2009

For some strange reason, a few buildings are flat as if they were part of a class play background. Another thing is that the houses in 3D have missing textures for the backs, just like in Empire Earth.

Pete D said on Oct. 11, 2009

“What’s the deal with that sign? All of this random stuff was just left lying around in there, never to actually be seen without hacking. It’s kind of sad. It’s a lot like Trackmania or Sonic 2006 in that most of the stages in each have lots of untapped potential just outside the stage borders.”

There was camera mode in Melee, where the stage originated. You had free reign in that mode, so the sign wasn’t completely out of the gamer’s reach.

Lukas said on Oct. 25, 2009

I wanna know why the stage has a completly diffrent Layout to the EarthBound one.

earthboundermaster said on Mar. 23, 2010

why do they make things we dont see

wiimotemaster said on Aug. 25, 2010

the map from above kinda reminds me of podunk

The Amateur said on Sep. 11, 2010

This is so cool!!! You can even see the meteorite! Hmm…EarthBound in 3D(and I mean high-quality 3D, not low-quality N64 3D)would be interesting.

Clockwork64 said on Jun. 3, 2012

The Sign Says A Black van Driven by This Guy Has Been Spodded Diving Recklessly Through Town.Be Careful!

jinxkatty7 said on Jul. 16, 2012

I never knew the meteorite was there! Can’t stop staring…

Someone said on Jun. 26, 2013

That “Black van” is actually the Runaway Five bus.

Sunnymoon said on Feb. 15, 2014

I knew that Sakurai was a genius, but seeing how he add such detail to all the stages just blow my mind. And it’s done equally between all the series, with the same awesomeness. Sakurai, you’ll always be my hero.

Find Merchandise!