EarthBound hacking has kind of quieted down compared to what it was years ago, but in these past few months some huge new breakthroughs have been made, such as Mr. Accident’s CCScript app and Rufus’s EB++ stuff. There are other things going on too, but I can get into that in another update sometime.
Basically, all this recent work has made impossible things possible. This is partly thanks to the fact that EarthBound is basically just a giant scripting language under the hood. Makes it hell to hack/translate, but awesome for customization and added functionality.
Anyway, as a little test of some of his new work, Rufus put together a small EarthBound hack which he simply calls “Hack”. It’s a text adventure thing and not very long (since it IS just a test/demo), but it’s very impressive. Give it a shot!
Here’s the patch and the patcher program, you’ll need an emulator and an EarthBound ROM, but you’ll have to get those yourself.
- Text Adventure demo hack
- Easy EarthBound patcher program – use this to apply the patch to an EarthBound ROM
There’s an official MOTHER 2 choose-your-own-adventure book that’s kind of rare. I have a copy and if I had infinite time I’d love to translate it and make it into a hack kind of like this. Anybody have a few million dollars they’re not using? 😉
Other Related Posts:
17 Comments to EarthBound Text Adventure Hack
- 4am: Cool, very cool. On another note, I wonder how Jeffman is doing with the translation of MOTHER 1+2 currently. I hope he decided to use the...
- PSI MOTHER: cómo me gustaría comer un ramen al estilo de Mother3 ;( bueno.. aunque creó qué es fácil de hacer ya qué mientras me hacía un bocadillo...
- PSI MOTHER: viva MOTHER
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...