August 31st, 2009 | EarthBound 64, Videos

A few years back turkranma made a really nice EarthBound 64 / MOTHER 3 tribute video, but then the other day I noticed that his account was suspended for some reason, so the video was no longer available. Luckily I had a copy of it on my hard drive so I reuploaded it here:

I know it’ll never be released to the public (unless someone becomes a super-spy) but how cool it would be to play around with what was finished with the game before its cancellation…

24 Comments to EarthBound 64 Tribute Video

Earthbound_X said on Aug. 31, 2009

I don’t know what it is, but since a few days go, All Youtube videos load super super slow. I’m talking 15 mins to load a 7 min video.

Earthbound_X said on Aug. 31, 2009

Wow, it’s amazing how much of the stuff in EB 64 made it in to Mother 3, The claymen, the pigs, even the town looks like the town in Mother 3.

Though it looks like Ness would have been in EB 64 in some form.

SuperTrainStationH said on Aug. 31, 2009

The fact that they adapted Saint Saens second piano concerto as a battle theme for this game as far back as 2000 gave me the vibe that they were going for something darker for MOTHER 3.

santiagoff said on Aug. 31, 2009

2:42 I HAD NEVER SEEN THAT O_O

fael said on Aug. 31, 2009

amazing, i didn’t know there were so many screenshots and stills from the game. i thought there were just the video and like 10 pics.

talking about the video, do you know by chance, mato, about what was about the railroad part? perhaps the early part of the game?

Roy said on Aug. 31, 2009

I always wanted to see 3D threed in mother 3 D:

rawpower7 said on Aug. 31, 2009

Yeah seriously Youtube is super slow for some reason.

Ice Sage said on Aug. 31, 2009

Wow, there are a lot of pics that I haven’t seen before. A lot of those areas are so undeveloped and vague that I want to know more about them! AAGH!! D:

Jeagle101 said on Aug. 31, 2009

YouTube is pretty slow lately… Not much of a surprise to me 🙁

Mato said on Aug. 31, 2009

A few years back I organized as many screenshots and as much info from EarthBound 64 as I could find and put it all here.

In particular, this page may be of extra interest: http://starmen.net/eb64/images/

I think I might make a page for this stuff here on EB Central too, since it’s clear that not many people check out the EB64 section there for whatever reason, including horrible navigation 😛

TBird said on Aug. 31, 2009

Is there a reason Mother games always seem to have a small development team? It was partly because of this that Mother 2 was almost cancelled and Mother 64 was cancelled.

Saturnome said on Sep. 1, 2009

I remember the screenshot with Ness’ house from a few days before the game was cancelled. Or something like that. Then I also remember pictures with the scrapped Monotoli building and such (that famous picture is missing or I missed it?), and when I saw the first pics of Mother 3 I thought it had nothing to do with the 64 game. It’s only now, after playing MOTHER 3, that I see the connections between the two versions. Lot of things have been scraped. That railroad mining thing with Claus Lucas must have been some early tutorial dungeon, something instead of the Dragos. But who knows.

With the years, I totally forgot about Dr.Andonuts and the 3D Mr.Saturns! I even used that Mr.Saturn-behind-barrel pic for a crappy angelfire-hosted-webpage.

Puppyduck said on Sep. 1, 2009

I don’t want to sound crass but right at the start it looks as though Lucas and Claus (I think that’s them) are starin at Hinawa’s breasts.

douglas said on Sep. 1, 2009

well you don’t always get what you want

Wil said on Sep. 1, 2009

Seriously! Who do we have to kidnap to get this?!

Karma said on Sep. 2, 2009

Honestly…. I’m glad this never saw the light of day.

Don’t get me wrong, of course I love Mother, but I think that their reasoning that the 3D rendering wasn’t working out is a it of an understatment.

I mean, I think that the game looks fairly terrible and the character designs are atrocious. It looks, feels, and resembles nothing even remotely Mother-like. Everytime I see these screenshots I feel simultaneously let down by them, and relieved that even if it was YEARS later, we got a far, far better product that what it would have been on N64.

Moreover, so much of it looks and has a general feel like a typically sub-standard and very cliche-standard RPG, with VERY ugly characters. And what sets the Earthbound/Mother series apart was it deviation away from standard looking RPG-towns.

Looking at this, and trying to put it into a frame of mind of what I would have thought of seeing this after playing Earthbound, I would have been so let down by this and would probably have lost all interest.

The future for Mother 3 was very uncertain for years after the cancellation of this iteration, but quite honestly, I look back at this, see what we got now, and just feel relieved that the history of M3’s production worked out the way it did. I think they were right to cancel this as it just looks incredibly sloppy, and unappealing in every regard I can look at it from.

I think that what we got, all these years later, was the definitive Mother 3.

Blarg said on Sep. 2, 2009

When it comes to the character design and graphics aspects of Earthbound 64, I have to agree with Karma’s point of view. Although I did find Hinawa’s early design to be good, and Claus, Lucas, and Flint to be somewhat decent (they did have a Western look about them), everyone else looked… bland and atrocious. Obviously Dr. Andonuts and the Mr. Saturn (and Ness/Ness-lookalike)don’t count, as they look exactly as they always did. The environments appeared far too empty and overly simple, even for the 2-D design standards of the released Mother games. I will cut the EB64 team some slack on this case though, considering they had no real experience in 3-D game design and, as a result, their character designs suffered due to their inabilities. There’s no way they could incorporate proper details and forms on a format that has “real” depth as they easily could on a “flat” format. Plus, it was being constructed for the N64, but that’s a no duh.

Aside from this, however, the initial story and plot for this game greatly intrigues me. I almost wish that a proper, 3-D (or 2-D, personally it doesn’t really matter)”Earthbound 64″ worthy of the Mother series name be released with the original plot, while retaining the current Mother 3’s designs. I guess it would be considered like an alternate universe/dimension sort of scenario. From the bits and pieces given to us by Itoi, the media, and other reliable sources, the game was radically different in various ways. Ahhh, one can always dream, even if it has no chance of ever happening.

But I digress, the tribute video was very interesting. There was a lot I’ve never seen before when it comes to EB64 so it’s great that you’d share it with everyone Mato. Good thing you saved the video before it was taken down. And kudos to turk_ranma for making it.

DoseiSan said on Sep. 2, 2009

Ah, I miss Turk… I used to be one of his closest friends on YT along with Porthos5 and OracleNexus2… we’ve been trying to get him to come back for a while now but I don’t think YouTube is letting him. He only comes on Gmail now…

Viewtiful_Justin said on Sep. 4, 2009

It’s funny to look at those and remember how fanboy crazy I was about that game when I heard it was coming out, and how disappointed I was to hear it was canceled. But honestly, I’m glad it came out how it did, despite not making it to the US. I think it would have done very poorly had it come out in 3D…the 2D sprites are kind of timeless, honestly.

Lost Hero said on Oct. 1, 2009

Boney looks friggn’ creepy. O~o

Soiherduliekeb said on Jan. 7, 2010

There must have been a good reason…….

Zoom! said on Jul. 29, 2011

Could someone translate the japenese text please? Also:It looks bland because aside from being done on N64 and the devolpers inexperience with 3d, it was only about 50% complete and was likely rushed a bit because of the Gamecube

Mato said on Jul. 29, 2011

I posted translated screenshots here long ago: http://starmen.net/eb64/images/translated.php

Zoom! said on Aug. 24, 2011