August 1st, 2009 | Hacking, MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge

Remember this from last week? Well, I have other projects that I need to focus more on and I fear that if I go work on those, that I’ll forget about this MOTHER 3 text thing. So I’ve put up a very early version of the game’s script here:

MOTHER 3 Script (beta)

There’s a lot I want to do with it, but for now you can check out the basic script. At some point when I come back to this, I’ll need help from a few people to change all the control codes to more specific things, assigning speaker names/sprites to each line, adding extra notes to lines, and highlighting special/unused lines.

Speaking of which, I haven’t had time to go in and highlight anything (aside from a few things I did as a test), so if people could scour through the text and list all unused lines or lines that reference the other EB games, that would help a lot. You can just post the block and line #s here in the comments of this post. Then, when I go back and do stuff, I can easily highlight them and such.

I already have most of the scripts written for all of what I want to do, it’s just that I lack time. I seem to always have so many ideas but never enough time to do even 10% of them. Maybe I should move to a planet with a longer rotational period.

20 Comments to A Quick Look at MOTHER 3’s Script

dizzy9 said on Aug. 1, 2009

Yes,yes,yes,thank you.
block 185 is unused.
(You knew it already,don’t you?)

Yorkshire Gold said on Aug. 1, 2009

Block 187 is unused, obviously, and so is Line 0 in Block 340.

Spitball Sparky said on Aug. 1, 2009

Locria text! *squeals* I’ve been soooo curious about that since you mentioned it on the forum! Thanks so much!

Ionia’s apprentice…so maybe those sprites of Kumatora as a Magypsy were for when she completed her apprenticeship? And she seems to know of her link to King Oshoe…I never could tell is she knew about the Oshoe Kingdom in the final game. But this seems to imply that Locria doesn’t know who Kumatora is? Could the story have changed that much so quickly to leave this much text in? So many question! >_<

Spitball Sparky said on Aug. 1, 2009

Oh and…Block 194, Line 31 I don’t believe is used, and I assume it was to be spoken by Alec.

I went through Block 59 through Block 124 quickly and didn’t catch anything. I read through Block 0 as well, but don’t wanna say that anything is unused, because I may have just not found it yet.

“Bread-rolled away”…please let that be in the game somewhere. That’s too perfect to be left unused. 🙂

Someone Else said on Aug. 1, 2009

I’ve had Alec say that line, Spitball Sparky. It’s when you’re Salsa and visit the grave.

Spitball Sparky said on Aug. 1, 2009

Oh, okay. I don’t recall Alec being there, but actually, I may never have looked. I always find that specific point tedious.

But…
-Block 356, Line 1 is a reference to EarthBound, specifically the story from the house you can buy in Onett

-Block 356, Line 3 is a referene to EarthBound, specifically the book “Overcoming Shyness”

-Block 370, Line 0 is a reference to both MOTHER and EarthBound, specifically Giygas (I don’t remember this…is this unused? I gotta replay this again.)

Liana said on Aug. 1, 2009

This is so much fun, thanks for putting it up! I skimmed the blocks and noted the ones I thought might be unused. I played pretty carefully, but I probably missed a lot, so apologies if some of these aren’t unused after all…

0, 200-204 (things that were not inside boxes)
5, 27-28? (Probably the pig-raising guy)
11, 6-7 (Probably Nippolyte)
22, 20 (A mouse)
31, 39-45? (It sounds like it might be Flint?)
35, 7? (This line shows up in a lot of the blocks)
36, 100-105 (Talking about Leo-Leo’s sweater)
47, 47 (Someone’s “big bro” on the other side of the tunnel)
52, 15 (the famous andonuts “son’s friend” line)
55, 27-29 (Things moles have collected)
63, 5-8 (the passed-out pigmask)
70, 0-1 (debug save frog)
109, 0 (Duster saying “do your best”)
132, 0-1 (seems like Scamp’s mynah bird?)
161, 17-18 (Huck the Huckster)
170, 0 (Pirkle and Lardna’s Love Nest)
182, 31, 36 – needle stuff on Tanetane
187, 0-1 – Loner the explorer
203, 56 – possibly referring to Claus?
210, 0 – contents of the box cost money
251, 27-37 – hot spring you pay for
262, 6-8 (New Pork City lines)
305, 60 (Waitress messing with you)
308, 4 (Bass boss)
350, 0 (The Kind of Chimeras I Want)
360, 25 (What did Andonuts create the UC for? Art?)
370, 0 – A Giygas-y monster
378, 31-33 (The star starfish)
379, 31-33 (The star cow)
400, 9 (Ticket-like objects)
445, 0 (Mysterious sheep)
470, 0 (Emergency is written here)
551, 41 (factory director talking to Masked Man)
551, 47 (kickbacks received)
552, 10-11 (song about payday)
552, 16 (new song)
624, 31-32 (Army members)
631, 4-6 (Fallen suit of armor)
637, 10-11 (seems like alternate text for the ghost who got you to fight the armor)
647, 0 – Closed for cleaning
690, 1-0 – Mr. Saturn on floor 50?
694, 1-0 – Someone who made it to the 30th floor
696, 1-0 – People having trouble climbing
709, 11 – No one can stop Lucas from pulling the needle
807, 0-11 – Lots of interesting dialogue about family
811, 18-25 – Hey, Alfie
878, 30-31 – Sweet drinks, tart smell
894, 0-29 – Debug room stuff?

Spitball Sparky said on Aug. 1, 2009

@Liana
894 is the Debug Room, for sure.

What is the deal with “Hey, Alfie”? And it repeats. Weird.

I haven’t gone through all of the blocks yet, but has anybody ever found anything about the other debug menu?

Saturnome said on Aug. 1, 2009

How fun to learn about Japan’s sale taxes inclusion in prices!

Mato said on Aug. 2, 2009

Alfie is the name the attic mice call you, I don’t know why it shows up on the screen with the Absolute Safety Capsule. I think it might’ve been for internal testing purposes.

kamuikurou said on Aug. 2, 2009

Woah. It’s sure a lot of read. I don’t recall the Giygas-y line too, it’s that really in the game? I’m not in the mood to replay Mother3…

Kris said on Aug. 2, 2009

Spitball, to what “Kumatora as a Magypsy” sprites are you referring?

Are there any more unused sprites floatin’ around? The only ones I remember are of Claus’ operation.

Mato said on Aug. 2, 2009

I know the starfish text in 379 or around there is used – I wouldn’t have thought to talk to it had I not seen it in the script before.

Kris: there are probably HUNDREDS of unused sprites, we’re always finding more. Check out the sprite editor.

santiagoff said on Aug. 2, 2009

Awesome work is awesome.

Michael said on Aug. 8, 2009

Interesting to note that in Block 894 (Debug Stuff) there’s an option to change Wess’s level. What do you guys think about that?

drgn_lord50 said on Aug. 8, 2009

I believe Wess was playable at one point of the game but then he got removed. It is possible because Itoi put up the question, “What is the name of the Thief Jujutsu technique Wess uses?” in the Mother 3 Maniac Quiz.

LakituAl said on Aug. 8, 2009

I also think that Wess was to be playable. Sometime, I feel like playing around with the Debug room and add Wess to my party, but appears to always be sitting, kind of like a hungover and I can’t run with him like this. As soon as I get to a spring, he recovers. Has it happened to any of you?

LakituAl said on Aug. 8, 2009

Oh, forgot to metion. When reaching the generator in Thunder Tower, you can go behind Mr. Genetor before the battle to reach the other side, where a pigmask is sitting, controlling some stuff. The “My name is Sheep” dialogue is his.

Michael said on Aug. 9, 2009

Sadly, I haven’t been able to get the debug room to work, even when I undo the patch. I don’t know what is wrong with my emulator.

This is a random dude said on Sep. 30, 2009

Block 212:
Go how far into ~insert place here~?