July 19th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

Another seven revolutions of our spherical world has transpired.

Also, if you happened to see a haunted video tape last week, you are now dead.

How about I sharpen you? I just love sharpening. You don’t want me to sharpen?

Anywho, there was some neat stuff this week, so let’s quickly look back at what happened.

Site News

• The version 1.1 MOTHER 3 translation patch is ready to go, we’re just waiting on reid to update the site now, since I lack full access. If you see him, bug him!
  • MOTHER 1+2 editing phase is still progressing ever-so-slowly. But it’s moving! But if anyone were to donate a winning lottery ticket I’m sure that’d give me a lot more free time during the day πŸ˜›
  • After basically watching stuff on eBay and other sites sell day after day for over six months, I’ve been thinking of making a kind of pricing guide for EarthBound stuff. I don’t know when I’ll have the time to put it together, but it could be useful and interesting. Seeing people unwittingly pay like $800 for things that others get for $150 is lame. But I’m sure there’s a whole science to pricing guides so I’ll have to study up on that first.

EarthBound News

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

A ton of stuff went up on eBay this week. It’s rare that the # of EarthBound items goes over the 200 mark, but it was over that this entire week, partly because a bunch of official keychains were put up for sale:

Here’s a bunch of other neat stuff that popped up this week, so check it out. Also remember that you can check to see what EarthBound/MOTHER stuff is currently on eBay at any time here!

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

• MOTHER 2 bandana? – this is the first I’ve heard of these, but the description says that it’s a bandana Takuya Kimura (the guy in the MOTHER 2 commercials) wore for promotional purposes and that the letter N in the pattern is there to signify Nintendo. And apparently you could get these bandanas at select shops when MOTHER 2 came out. If this is real, then this is indeed VERY rare. I haven’t done any research into the matter yet, so I don’t know if it’s true or not. But it’s going for pretty cheap so it might be a chance to get a possibly super-rare item for a bargain. Also, this particular bandana is unused.
  • MOTHER 1+2 artbook + Mr. Saturn plushie – not unopened, so it’s more affordable
  • Unopened, super rare Slot Machine Brothers card game!!!

I also found some stuff on Amazon:

Community News

I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

What’s Up With Itoi

• Itoi’s dog Boullion turned six this week. Apparently she’s the dog of some important actress dog. Every birthday, Boullion and her sister and their mother have a reunion. Itoi talked about how time flies and thought back to the days Boullion was a puppy. Also, he linked to this, which I never saw before. Apparently that’s puppy Boullion somewhere on that page.

Upcoming Stuff

Hmm, no plans for this week, still just gonna try to go through the update queue some more. I feel bad that people have sent in stuff but have had to wait so long to get it on the site. Once the queue is empty (it’s quite large at the moment) then I’ll have to start planning things out πŸ˜›

End

One time I dreamed I somehow got to visit HAL Labs and they had some game museum there. Somehow a bunch of other EarthBound fans showed up and then we found EarthBound 64 over in some corner, but then I woke up before we could play it. Even in dream form, the game is out of reach, heh. And then I dreamed about boobs and explosions and beer.

18 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #27

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Jul. 19, 2009

“And then I dreamed about boobs and explosions and beer.”

Any Nascar in there?

Metroid_maniac said on Jul. 19, 2009

Glad to see the Mother 3 Translation 1.1 is almost here. Once my game said “It did not work on the Boney” in the Thunder Tower when one of the enemies used PK Flash.

Mistermister said on Jul. 19, 2009

Holy crap, I must be dead.

*Goes to watch Ghostbusters*

questionsleep said on Jul. 19, 2009

I must say, my weeks are going by frighteningly fast. This ‘weekly round up’ is now what I measure my weeks by.

Anyway, glad more than sad to hear EB Saga 5 won’t be out ’til at least next year. We were just talking about it, on their forums. They actually care about EB Saga, and that’s good for the viewer.

Elobo said on Jul. 19, 2009

Happy to hear the v1.1 is going to reach fruition.

Anyways, I should say I picked up The Sirens of Titan this week because of this site. Or that is to say, it arrived from Amazon. Not wholly because of its relationship to the series, I figured I’d enjoy it.

santiagoff said on Jul. 19, 2009

Boobs, explosions and beer? That’s not exciting at all!
…it’s not like finding an obscure copy of a game is much more fun though lol

MotMot said on Jul. 19, 2009

So just curious, were the boobs exploding after drinking beer? That would be rather disturbing.
But yay! More Birdy and Chimera! I haven’t found the Ultimate Chimera in Mother 3 yet, but the comic is quite enjoyable.
It’s also good to know that the new patch is almost upon us. Will it install the same way as the old? And am I gonna have to get another copy of the ROM to apply it to, or will it go right over the old one, Mato?

Metroid_maniac said on Jul. 19, 2009

@MotMot
The patch will probably require a “fresh” ROM.

Mato said on Jul. 19, 2009

Yeah, it’ll need a fresh Japanese ROM, it won’t work if you try to apply it to a version 1.0 translation ROM.

Seifer said on Jul. 19, 2009

Oh that? That’s the money you could be saving by switching to the Tomato EB Pricing guide.

Jeagle101 said on Jul. 19, 2009

Boobs, explosion, and beer…
Who doesn’t love that stuff?! πŸ˜€

LucasTizma said on Jul. 19, 2009

Woot. I snatched up that bandana. I hope it’s legit. O.o

Xi said on Jul. 19, 2009

You’re right! That air freshener is the newest of the new items that have popped up this month! ^_^

The only purpose that auction is ensuring at this point is to make sure the next person who looks into selling one on eBay overprices their auction as well.

“Huh! This guy has it listed unwrapped and used for $200! My new one has to be at worth at least $400!”

I thought I’d pay for college before I paid for EB items… I should have done it the other way around.

I was wondering though, is there any kind of legal issues that have to be considered when making fan-made items? The reason I was asking was because I’d like to spend the effort to attempt to re-create the SMAP jacket as faithfully as I can, but I didn’t want to spend the time and effort if I’d run into red tape.

Leirin said on Jul. 19, 2009

Gah, I can’t believe EB Saga is getting delayed! Gragh. Oh well. At least that’ll give them some time to make it REALLY awesome, but still…

Mato said on Jul. 19, 2009

Xi: I actually wish I knew what the most expensive air freshener was, cause a while ago they were trying to sell them for a ton, I guess those folks and that crazy giant Mr. Saturn plushie guy are learning better though.

I think when it comes to fan-made merchandise, as long as you’re not mass-producing and as long as it’s clear it’s fan-made and not ripping off something else (like if you try to sell ROMs or copy cartridges or such stuff) then it should be okay. Though you might want to check with eBay’s policies. In any case, fan-made merch gets a lot of attention at this site, so it’s cool with me and probably most people here. I think that’s a cool idea you have, actually.

Ryan said on Jul. 19, 2009

Holy schnikes, that image is my background! I must’ve taken that same screen cap about 4 months ago.

EE_Bob said on Jul. 20, 2009

Well, the 1.1 patch is finally up!
Mato, can you release a changelog for this?
Was well into completing the game a few months back when my save erased… Was put off from playing the game till now.

metroid_maniac said on Jul. 20, 2009