Silly Nintendo, That’s the Wrong System
July 12th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up
It’s been 26 weeks since I started EarthBound Central – that’s half a year. Pretty impressed with myself, I thought it’d be tough to keep a daily EarthBound blog running for so long. It seems like it’s just the opposite now – there’s so much stuff going on and news that people send in that I often have trouble finding enough time in the day to post about them.
Anyway, here’s hoping there’ll be another good 26 weeks to come 😀
All that aside, let’s look at what happened this past week!
- MOTHER 3 version 1.1 patch is ready, just waiting on the patcher program to be updated now before I release it.
- MOTHER 1+2 patch is still very slow going. I’m still in the text-editing phase. I wish I had the time and energy I had when working on the MOTHER 3 translation, but I think that well has run dry. I’ll probably have an update about the project within the next week or two.
- MOTHER 3 Handbook – free online version is now available
- Ness’s American/Family Ties
- Fans think that EarthBound/MOTHER ports seem most likely
- EarthBound level in LittleBigPlanet
- Mr. Saturn birthday cake!
- On the opposite end of the health spectrum: Itoi’s breakfast
- A whole bunch of fan-made merchandise up for sale
- Mother: How I Came to Love You
Cool Auctions & Merchandise
I noticed this week that there was a marked absense of ANY MOTHER 2 cartridges. It’s like they all disappeared or someone bought them all or something. How odd.
Anyway, here’s some interesting EarthBound merchandise that’s currently being sold. Remember that you can check to see what EarthBound/MOTHER stuff is currently on eBay at any time here!
- MOTHER 3 Courage Badge keychain (original version)
- Rare MOTHER 2 choose-your-own-adventure game book! – a must-have for collectors 😯
- EarthBound + Small Box – pretty sure the game was never sold in that box though…
- Cheapest complete copy of MOTHER 3 I’ve seen in a while on eBay
- EarthBound Player’s Guide
- EarthBound + Player’s Guide combo
- Rare video game manga anthology that includes MOTHER, Goemon, Castlevania, Zelda, and more.
- Rare MOTHER 3 guide – seriously, I don’t even have this one
And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:
- MOTHER 1+2 fanbook “Being Friends”
- MOTHER 1+2 poster
- A book about game design, including discussions from Miyamoto and Itoi
And stuff on Amazon:
- Adventure of Pigmask forum game
- Heroes of MOTHER 3 forum game
- Super Starmen Bros. Brawl
- Pigmask Quest forum game
- M2 Harmony comic updated
- Tree From My Youth (MOTHER 3 radio play) new episode
- The Chosen Four comic series updated
- An Extra with Nothing to Say updated
- Of Pigs and Masks comic updated
- Reg created a battle background library for you PK Hacker people!
I’m an old man, so I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!
What’s Up With Itoi
- This week, Itoi talked about how when he was younger, he liked to open windows whenever he was in a building or in a car, because he felt like the outside air was nice and refreshing. But nowadays he doesn’t have that feeling very much anymore. In fact, it’s not uncommon for modern buildings in Japan to have many windows that don’t open at all. Same with cars.
- Itoi also talked about how that as you grow older and older, T-shirts tend to suit people less and less, at least from his personal experience. I can see that being true, with occasional exceptions I’m sure.
I don’t really have anything planned at the moment, so this next week will probably mostly be things from the update queue that I still haven’t gotten to yet. The queue is pretty big, too. What usually happens is that I have these cool updates I want to post, but by the time I’m done with work I’m so tired that I go with the easier updates. So there’s still plenty of really cool things in the queue that I haven’t gotten to yet.
One thing I like about EarthBound was the coffee/tea scene. Has any other game done something along those lines, before or after EarthBound? I wonder what influenced or inspired Itoi to create those.
Other Related Posts:
5 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #26
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...