July 5th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

Week 25 has been vanquished! Only 5301 more to go until _______ (fill in the blank)!

This past week has been ______, but _____ _____ the _____. Neat.

Also, EarthBound _______ have been especially ________, except for when _________. Insanity abounds.

Anyway, let’s have a look-see at whath has transpired over the course of this past seven day time period.

Site News

• Yesterday or so, the site got its 10,000th comment. I don’t know who got it or what it was, but the total passed over 10,000 at some point. For reference, the MOTHER 3 translation blog has 23,000 or so.
  • I haven’t messed with it in a few months, but here’s this if you’re interested.
  • Looks like this month’s theme is the Scaraba desert. Fits the season well for those who don’t wear hats on their feet and have to watch out for hungry hamburgers.

EarthBound News

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

The biggest news this week was of course the EarthBound Zero prototype cart that sold the other day. But here are a few other neat things that popped up this week.

Remember that you can check to see what EarthBound/MOTHER stuff is currently on eBay at any time here!

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

And some stuff on Amazon:

Community News

_____, so I can’t keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

What’s Up With Itoi

• Itoi talked about how he used to always carry dice around with him so he could practice trying to get good rolls for when playing Monopoly. He thinks he’ll start carrying dice around again in his pocket, and even thinks about making Hobonichi dice sometime (Hobonichi is the shortened name of his site/company).
  • He also talked about how the passage of three minutes seems to him, and how it differs a lot from other people. For instance, for boxers, entire fights and entire careers can go undergo drastic changes in just 3 minutes, while for him 3 minutes is how long it takes to make instant cup ramen. He also compared this three minutes thing to other things/occupations.
  • Later on, he also talked about how one part of the enjoyment of trips/vacations is the actual act of going there. He thinks that if instant teleportation were possible, it would detract from the enjoyment of trips to places. This sort of made me think of the MOTHER games for some reason,
  • He also talked about how when he used to work on games, programmers used to use the phrase “triggers an event flag”. He found this phrase really intriguing, and likes to use it sometimes. He thinks the image of flags going up and “triggering an event” is kind of funny. He also makes the distinction that events are “triggered” in games because the events are made ahead of time by programmers, and then he wonders about the idea that if there are gods or spirits out there, maybe they’ve set things up the same way, so that pre-created events are triggered as time goes on.

Upcoming Stuff

Still slowly going through the queue of old stuff people have sent me. Lots of videos to come I’m sure, plus a few music things I think. I think I might have another school report or something like that, but my memory is kind of fuzzy. I have no real concrete plans for this next week, it’ll be mostly by ear I guess.

End

Itoi mentioned in an interview that Mr. Saturns didn’t get that name until quite a ways into the game’s development. I wonder what they were referred to as before then…

20 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #25

Deiphobus said on Jul. 5, 2009

the apocalypse
orange
mato
ate
president
offspring
horny
coding

Deiphobus said on Jul. 5, 2009

ultimate chimeras are fun to pet

darn you, hidden (sort of) underline!

BigSharkZ said on Jul. 5, 2009

Wow, my interview got on this site! XD.

I just received an email telling me so.

bobbyjkl said on Jul. 5, 2009

Week 25 has been vanquished! Only 5301 more to go until I come to your house and steal your kids(fill in the blank)!

This past week has been good, but I hated the comments on most of the posts. Neat.

Also, EarthBound Central’s articles have been especially good, except for when I miss it 3:. Insanity abounds.

gwalms said on Jul. 5, 2009

no plans on when you’re going to finish the mother3 1.1 patch?

NintenGodot said on Jul. 5, 2009

Small mistake: It’s “Ninten and Giegue hacked into Melee”, not Brawl.

S. said on Jul. 5, 2009

Ah, speeded by NintenGodot. 😛
Pretty sweet stuff.

Xi said on Jul. 5, 2009

Week 25 has been vanquished! Only 5301 more to go until Apple of Enlightenment prophecy comes to fruition!

This past week has been rough, but the buy it now price on that 25 RPG Classics auction proves the recession is over. Neat.

Also, EarthBound fans have been especially patient for Earthbound to be released on the Virtual Console, except for when they invaded Honduras to make a point. Insanity abounds.

Jvct said on Jul. 5, 2009

OMG, Best SSBB hacks evah.

Rockin'Ness said on Jul. 5, 2009

I love the things Itoi said, about how 3 minutes is different for everyone. I also thought the event flag thing was hilarious! Now I’m gonna see event flags everywhere!

Dokapox said on Jul. 5, 2009

Hi, Congratulations, you guys are doing an awesome work as usual!!

i have a suggestion, follow the original script on mother 1, following the mother1+2 / earthbound zero script would be like giving fans the censored version again

LucasTizma said on Jul. 5, 2009

Heyo! I bought that magazine from YAJ. I’ll let you know when it gets in so I can scan the interview and mail it to you. >.< I suck at Japanese still.

PSInesslove93 said on Jul. 5, 2009

nice hack with Ninten & Giegue.

Week 25 has been vanquished! Only 5301 more to go until Giygas eats your babies!

This past week has been slow, but Ness shot the mayor. Neat.

Also, EarthBound Central’s videos have been especially good, except for the dude who dares to put up 25 RPG games for $3500. Insanity abounds.

ropesnake said on Jul. 6, 2009

Thanks for the Amazon tip Mato…I went ahead and swooped that one up. Finally owning an actually copy of the game is going to feel pretty good. Also, any word on the Mother 3 patch time frame? Keep up the great work.

GoldenEevee said on Jul. 6, 2009

Week 25 has been vanquished! Only 5301 more to go until Mother 4 is released!

This past week has been hot, but mato ate the cake (which is a lie). Neat.

Also, EarthBound sequels have been especially uncommon, except for when the Apple of Enlightenment prophecy comes to pass!!. Insanity abounds.

Mato said on Jul. 6, 2009

ropesnake: the patch is ready, but I’m just waiting on the patcher program getting updated and also the handbook site being done, supposedly anytime now.

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 10, 2009

hey mato… you mean the M1+2 patch program?! READY?! but what about M2 in the game? I s it READY TOO?!

Mato said on Jul. 10, 2009

No, I was referring to the M3 version 1.1 patch.

Sarah said on Jul. 11, 2009

I’d like to think maybe waiting at Grapefruit Falls for 3 minutes was Itoi’s way of saying, “Take a break and eat some ramen. You deserve it for getting this far!”

anonymous said on Jul. 15, 2009

if I remember correctly, the Mr. Saturns were referred to as Mr. Stupid, but they decided that was too harsh and changed it.