July 22nd, 2009 | EarthBound, Fan Games, MOTHER 1, MOTHER 3, Videos

I’ll be honest, I’m not really sure what this Touhou stuff is all about, I only have a vague idea from message board posts and random pics I’ve come across. But even so, this Touhou/EarthBound/MOTHER series crossover game is pretty cool stuff:

That’s only the first video. You can see all 40 or so videos here. You can get the game here.

Thanks to Jvct and others for sending in news about this 😀

25 Comments to Touhou EarthBound

The Great Morgil said on Jul. 22, 2009

Wow, That was just… weird. I hope somebody could explain what it was i just saw.

Also, too bad the video edited out all the battles.

EBisumaru said on Jul. 22, 2009

Your thingy links to “earthboundcentral.com/vgboy.com/…”

Leirin said on Jul. 22, 2009

Heh, that was awesome! I’m not even a Touhou fan and that was pretty well done. The way it panned out to show Pokey lying on the ground kinda reminded me of how *SPOILERS* it showed Claus dead after defeating the Drago.

Fanmade, eh? Really quite good. I’ll be sure to let my friend know of this.

Earthbound_X said on Jul. 22, 2009

What’s Touhou?

Z-Master said on Jul. 22, 2009

Seems to be a RPG Maker fangame… Weird but well made.

rayefrenzy said on Jul. 22, 2009

favorite food: sake 😀

bloopie said on Jul. 22, 2009

To those who don’t know what Touhou is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGegCta6F1o&fmt=18

I’ve played a little of this some time ago, it’s pretty fun but it should go without saying that most of the jokes and parallels to MOTHER will only be caught on by people who’ve played a lot of the games and who are familiar with the fanon. Plenty of MOTHER references and cameos still reside there so you guys shouldn’t be completely lost, still have an enjoyable RPG experience, and possibly give the original games a try as well. 😉

Moonside said on Jul. 22, 2009

For the uninformed, Touhou is a japanese series of bullet hell shmups (You know, the ones with HUNDREDS of bullets on the screen). The story takes place in this land called Gensokyo, where both humans and youkai (the general term for supernatural creatures, which includes ghosts, vampires, etc.) live. There are tons of characters and a pretty big fanbase.

…now, being a fan myself, I’d like to say that having Suwako’s hat as the save point was genius. Even if the rest wasn’t so good…

EarthBoundRules said on Jul. 22, 2009

Don’t get what this is about, but I love the music.

santiagoff said on Jul. 22, 2009

So this is actually in ENGLISH!?
MUST.
PLAY.
Wow, Touhou got extremely popular. Way to go! :3

Miki said on Jul. 22, 2009

Woah, woah, two of my most favorite things together!! I’ve heard of a Touhou and Pokemon fangame, but wow, this is awesome! I gotta get it sometime.

“It’s me! Eye’m here!”

ZEROGRAVITY-A01! said on Jul. 23, 2009

this is one of the COOLEST crossover games I wanted to play, but for some reason my PC got fed up of enemy battles and restarted itself.

I’m praying in hoping that this game would run on my new laptop.

Paige said on Jul. 23, 2009

I saw something like this a few months ago… Though, that was still in Japanese, if I recall correctly. Not sure, though.

Still looks great, though.

ZEROGRAVITY-A01! said on Jul. 24, 2009

@Paige: It’s all translated into English now.

Saiai said on Jul. 24, 2009

Ahh, this game.
This game…
Well, there’s an incredibly large number of obscure references in it. All over the place. From both serieses and others.
Honestly, it won’t make too much sense if you don’t know both that well.
But it’s really good, so play it anyway, seriously~

vgperson said on Jul. 24, 2009

Whoa. Okay, wasn’t exactly expecting this. I’m the translator! (Yes, just one, although it seems the original author might have thought otherwise.) Thank you for your playing.

Obscure references: very yes. I tried to change some of the really obscure ones to things English audiences might actually get, though.

Oh, and now that the game is available for download, I wouldn’t particularly recommend the videos unless you’re too lazy to play it. Some of the videos (especially early on) are just plain not translated well, sorry to say. (Not that inexperience excuses me from having Starmen talk in all caps!) But I’m pretty happy with the translation in 1.111.

ZEROGRAVITY-A01! said on Jul. 25, 2009

@vgperson: thanks for the translation. Now that I have a new laptop, I can play it.

BigDream said on Aug. 26, 2011

I tried to play it, but it wont let me!
Can someone help?

Yosh said on Aug. 28, 2011

BigDream : go there, everything is explained ^^

RadicOmega said on Oct. 18, 2011

I have this game. It’s pretty fun. BUt why do the graphics look like that?

KNCL said on Oct. 18, 2011

I remember this. It was a LP of Touhou Mother that got me into Touhou.

I wonder how the sequel is doing. It had an awesome OST and plot.

RadicOmega said on Oct. 18, 2011

@KNCL there is a sequel?

KNCL said on Oct. 18, 2011
RadicOmega said on Oct. 19, 2011

@KNCL, Thank you. That link was exactly perfect and took me to the right place. How come I can’t make a proper link 🙁

BobLikesToFart said on Dec. 6, 2013