M2 vs. EarthBound: Monkey Caves
Yesterday I posted an EarthBound preview by Total! magazine, an old European magazine. Today is the actual review!
From a technical standpoint, I think this might actually be the best EarthBound review we’ve dug up so far. The review spans four pages, has pictures from many different parts of the game instead of just Onett, and the reviewer actually played all the way through the game! But more than that, the reviewer criticized what really deserves criticism (basic gameplay, simple graphics might be off-putting), didn’t go overboard and exaggerate things to one extreme or another, and gives due praise for what went on to keep the game alive and kicking 15 years later.
The reviewer wasn’t immune to the “let’s make dumb and not funny caption comments” syndrome though. Seems like every magazine article about the MOTHER / EarthBound games falls victim to this 😛
Compare that to the other reviews of EarthBound and you’ll see that this one is really good as far as reviews go.
Thanks again to Niall Lynch for the scans!
Other Related Posts:
50 Comments to Total!’s EarthBound Review
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...