July 17th, 2009 | EarthBound, Interviews

Remember that upcoming Japanese game for the ROID service that looks a lot like EarthBound? If you don’t, see here. As you may or may not recall, it turned out to be a cell phone version of Level 5’s “The Another World”. A much fancier DS version comes out very soon, so I guess the ROID one is mean to be like a side story.

Anyway, apparently the August 2009 issue of Nintendo Dream has an interview with the company’s president, and he mentioned that while lots of RPGs are compared to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, the DS version of The Another World is “closer to another certain RPG”. He also touches on the topic of the ROID version of the game and says that it was designed with the MOTHER series in mind.

I don’t have a copy of the magazine and I don’t have any scans, so I can’t translate the interview. If someone in Japan could snag a copy and get some scans, that’d be very helpful though 😀

15 Comments to Some ROID Rumblings

santiagoff said on Jul. 17, 2009

DO WANT THE SCANS! XD

EarthBoundRules said on Jul. 17, 2009

Hm, very neat.

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 17, 2009

Yeah, this seems a lot like a Earthbound… Ill buy it even if is not a Earthbound game. Im also searching for the video game “Contact” for the DS… Contact also seems like Mother 3.

kamuikurou said on Jul. 17, 2009

Contact is more like an action RPG. While Another World/ROID seems similar to Earthbound by its graphics, Contact only takes its weirdness. You’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting Earthbound. It gets tiring later in the game. Maybe because you don’t find so many people to chat or objects to check =)

MotMot said on Jul. 17, 2009

Agreed with Kamui. Contact is weird, yes; but NPC/object interaction is nowhere near the level it is in EB. But I would still suggest picking it up. It’s a good play, even if it can be a little frustrating at times.
As for Mato’s post, good stuff. I wonder if they’ll have to change the title though if it’s released stateside. There was a game on SNES with the title of “Another World” which is a side-scrolling puzzle/action game. Still, if it does come out over here, I’d be willing to pick it up. 😀

Satsy said on Jul. 17, 2009

Hoping the DS version will get a global release, then…

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on Jul. 17, 2009

Hmm, interesting. I’d like to see The Another World come here, and have the american audience question the graphics, too. 😛

Aisu said on Jul. 17, 2009

If it doesn’t see a US release, you’ll bet that some people will have……

ROID rage.

*shot*

Mattt said on Jul. 18, 2009

If the cell phone version is the Mother lookalike, then what’s this “another certain RPG” DS version all about?

KingDarian said on Jul. 18, 2009

Something tells me “another certain RPG” isn’t a reference to MOTHER, if simply for the fact that he directly names MOTHER as an influence for the ROID version. I’d happily be wrong, though. Hopefully a scan pops up for Mato to look at soon, so some things can be clarified.

J said on Jul. 18, 2009

Level-5 actually has their Vision 2009 conference August 25, right? I assume the interview is also about that upcoming event.

Churly said on Jul. 18, 2009

If Another World comes out in America on the DS, that would be very stupid (not because of the game itself, but the principle of the matter).

Jungyin said on Jul. 18, 2009

How so, Churly?

I don’t quite understand what exactly is the principle of the matter.

gwalms said on Jul. 18, 2009

Maybe he means, its crazy that Another World would be coming out here, while Mother 3 still hasn’t!

Churly said on Jul. 20, 2009