July 10th, 2009 | EarthBound, Videos

Long-time fan Brandon posted this video a while back explaining how he was introduced to EarthBound and what made the MOTHER series steal his soul.

Sounds like he plans to do this in more detail with each individual game later on. It’s always neat to hear how people were introduced to the games. Almost 10 years ago we even had an essay contest at Starmen.Net about that exact topic. If you’re interested, you can read through the entries here.

21 Comments to Mother: How I Came to Love You

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on Jul. 10, 2009

For me, I was just the lucky one to find the giant box interesting. It wasn’t until Smash Bros. Brawl did I see another character, Lucas, that reminded me of that game form ’95, seeing how it talked about another EarthBound/MOTHER game. So it made me wonder if there was a sequel! There was but… it’s currently only in Japanese (officially). That’s how my interest in the series arose. I’m glad I’ve stuck with it. My fanboyish feelings towards the series didn’t sprout out until I’ve played through and completed Mother 3. Itoi really knew how to evoke emotions.

Deraj626 said on Jul. 10, 2009

I love this topic, mainly because I can easily relate to it. I came to the series when thespeedgamers announced their marathon for it. I then found a Mother 3 walkthrough on youtube, which led me to the M3 fan translation, which led me here, and started my Mother journey.

Digitalized said on Jul. 10, 2009

I’ve loved MOTHER since I could read, actually.

Wil said on Jul. 10, 2009

Is this thread for how you discovered the Mother series?
Maybe not.. but I found out about EB through Smash Bros 64. Then found the starmen.net communitiy in the late 90’s.. 99? Then I was on the hunt for Earthbound. I found a used copy w/ box and strategy guide for $35 bucks at a local video game store. Then I d/load the rom for Mother, way too hard. Haha. Then I bought M3 when it came out, and beat it without knowing how to read japanese. It was fun and easy. Thanks for translating it though. It makes it 900% cooler. … and, blah, blah blah.

Q said on Jul. 10, 2009

I knew that Earthbound existed ever since Super Smash Brothers. But I didn’t get *into* it until recently, when glowing praise after glowing praise from an online semi-celebrity fanartist led me to finally purchase and play the game. After finishing the game, of course, the usual thing happened and I now consider myself something of a fan. 🙂

Spitball Sparky said on Jul. 10, 2009

I was going through old photographs yesterday and stumbled upon one from the day I got EarthBound, many moons ago. In the picture, you can even see the game on the TV; Ness, King and Pokey trying to go into downtown Onett…although Pokey stops Ness to go look for Picky.

Elobo said on Jul. 10, 2009

Pretty good video. Good story.

For myself, by the time Earthbound had come out I had already cut my teeth on a fair few RPGs. FF1,4,6, Dragon Warrior, and to a more tangentially related extent Secret of Mana and Illusion of Gaia. I would have also done a bit of P&P roleplaying by this point.

But this is a product of times. RPGs were getting really big at that time (Epic Centre was always my first stop in NP) so my brother and I made a point of renting a lot of them, and acquiring the ones we really liked. Numbers, exploration, and monsters.

Earthbound would have wooed me at that time because it was just so different from the rest of the games at the time. It was funny, had a large world, and a constantly changing array of interesting and quirky enemies. I asked for it for my birthday, a few months away, and I’ve kept an eye on the series since :).

Something else is an important factor for me: Earthbound was wholly mine. My older and younger brothers were only spectators for most of EB and for a kid that helps more than you might think. Similar to Secret of Mana for me in that respect (which I was also crazy about)!

Steve! said on Jul. 10, 2009

I found out about the series in Melee but I wasn’t that interested in it until brawl when I came to like the EarthBound characters and references more.

SamWibatt said on Jul. 10, 2009

I first found out about EB0 in 1999 or so from a throwaway little illustration on Seanbaby’s “The Congratulation! Awards” page about NES games: http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/nesaward.htm (lower left).

I played some of it in an emulator, had a good time, and found out there was a SNES sequel, which I found in a local store’s used bin for $15 or so and played – and played, and played, and played.

santiagoff said on Jul. 10, 2009

It was pretty weird how I discovered EB. I never had access to official games due to my geographical position (South America lol), so I could never get the official game.
When I was a little kid, me and my brother were fascinated with videogames. My MOTHER, god bless her, decided to get us a cd-rom containing Sega Genesis ROMs and an emulator, and another one like that only with SNES ROMs. I basically grew up playing both, and I can recognize many many SNES games, not by name, but by musical and graphical memory lol
One of those games was EB. I remember me and my brother getting to the arcade, but seriously, as a kid, it was damn hard, we could never beat Frank lol
Many years later, we got an N64 and Smash Bros, and we were both really sure that we knew that guy with the red cap. And when we went through the character description and saw “EarthBound” we remembered… LOL
Many years later, I somehow got into the game, but could never finish it.
Smash, last year, finally caught my attention on those 2 characters, and I went ahead and played through all 3 games.

Jeagle101 said on Jul. 11, 2009

It’s funny, I don’t exactly remember how I got into the Mother series. Melee and Brawl introduced me to it, but they didn’t get me interested into it. I started seeing videos on the internet and started getting interested with it, so I decided to play Mother 3 and I fell in love with it from that day forward. I’ve actually been a fan for only a short time now ^_^’

I’m honestly a bit embarrassed that i’ve only been a fan for such a short time.

Adman said on Jul. 11, 2009

Earthbound taught me to read.

ScottKO said on Jul. 11, 2009

I started using Ness in melee and then when brawl came out something compelled me to play Earthbound and now I have a bunch of merchandise sitting on my shelf and an EB cart sitting in my SNES that I ordered SPECIFICALLY to play EB on

EstigiaWizzrobe said on Jul. 11, 2009

I got into Mother thanks to Super Smash Bros.

Brandon ( the guy from the Vid) said on Jul. 12, 2009

Wow, I just googled my video to see why my video had so many views. Wow……….I am honored to be featured on this site. I do plan on making more of these videos. If anyone would like to send suggestions email me at heavencriesloudest@yahoo.com. Also, Thank you to Earthbound Central

How I Got into EarthBound said on Jul. 15, 2009

Well I was just tooling around Wikipedia like we all do, jumping from page to page for little to no reason at all. Somehow translations came up, and the fan translation of Mother 3 was a big chunk of some article.
I thought “man if this game is good enough for someone to hack/translate for free just to share then it must be good!”
So I played Mother 3 and it was better than Zelda. Then I played EarthBound, the bast game ever. I’m looking into playing Mother now, but I miiight wait for the good translation 😉

I guess I always _knew_ about EarthBound, I think I probably even played it when I was younger (was like 5 when it was released) but I probably couldn’t grasp ‘leveling up’ and ‘equiping items’.

Ninji said on Nov. 20, 2009

Ahhh… EarthBound, the second game I have for my good ol’ SNES, I just got a crisp boxed copy for a bargain price of $190!!

robo1446 said on Dec. 11, 2009

my brother showed me earthbound. and he told me about mother 3. i wanted to play mother 3. so i did. got the rom. found the menu patch after days of searching, and had to play half the game with no volume, missing out on some good music. after i beat mother 3, i decided to try earthbound, although different, it was still fun, i played it on an emulator, NEVER SPEED UP THE GAMEPLAY IN MOONSIDE, it could give you a seizure.
i beat earthbound and searched across the internet for the nes rom for earthbound zero, the mother 1+2 rom hated me. one fatithful day, i found it. it was much harder than earthbound and mother 3, the story could be hard to follow at times but i finally beat it. then the mother 3 translation was completed and i beat that again. i’m starting it for a 3rd time now. this game is addicting.

MG said on Dec. 30, 2009

The way I got into Earthbound, is actually pretty fuzzy to me. I think I was surfing Wikipedia when I found it, but then I don’t remember the rest until I was looking for the ROM. I played until Peaceful Rest Valley and then chickened out because the walkthrough said it was “the first true challenge” in the game. A year later, after beating Mother 3, I decided to come back and completed the game.

Loidrage said on Sep. 20, 2011

Well, I was playing Brawl and heard His Highness’ Theme. That’s the entire story, I played the games because of His Highness’ Theme.

Just Call Me Daddy! said on Feb. 26, 2013

Am I the only person who likes Mother 3 better than Earthbound?