Itoi and the MOTHER 2 iPhone Case
I’ve been slowly making progress with the text editing/translation-checking stage of my MOTHER 1 translation. I’ll give a progress update sometime soon-ish, but I wanted to make this post separate.
Basically, I find the default font in EarthBound Zero/MOTHER 1 very ugly and harder to read than it should be. For short bits of text it’s fine, but when reading lots of dialog and such, it’s not very conducive for easy-reading. I know I’m not alone, because it’s one of the things people most liked about my old, old hack that changed the font to EarthBound’s font. The problem with EarthBound’s font though is that it was meant for text that uses variable width letters, not fixed width, so it doesn’t work well in this situation.
Anyway, for this translation, I’d like to have a better-looking font that’s also more readable. The game uses an 8×8 font, which is simple enough. Is there anyone here with good graphical skills to try to create a nice-looking font? I suck at drawing and graphical stuff, so I’m hoping someone will be able to assist.
If not, then how about this: since almost all NES games (and early SNES games) use 8×8 fixed width fonts, what fonts from old NES/SNES games do you think would look good in this situation? I could always snatch a font from another game.
My hope is that a good font + bigger text windows + better/smoother translations will make the game a little more palatable.
Other Related Posts:
70 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Font Help
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...