Swag Watch for Feb. 4, 2012
I’ve been slowly making progress with the text editing/translation-checking stage of my MOTHER 1 translation. I’ll give a progress update sometime soon-ish, but I wanted to make this post separate.
Basically, I find the default font in EarthBound Zero/MOTHER 1 very ugly and harder to read than it should be. For short bits of text it’s fine, but when reading lots of dialog and such, it’s not very conducive for easy-reading. I know I’m not alone, because it’s one of the things people most liked about my old, old hack that changed the font to EarthBound’s font. The problem with EarthBound’s font though is that it was meant for text that uses variable width letters, not fixed width, so it doesn’t work well in this situation.
Anyway, for this translation, I’d like to have a better-looking font that’s also more readable. The game uses an 8×8 font, which is simple enough. Is there anyone here with good graphical skills to try to create a nice-looking font? I suck at drawing and graphical stuff, so I’m hoping someone will be able to assist.
If not, then how about this: since almost all NES games (and early SNES games) use 8×8 fixed width fonts, what fonts from old NES/SNES games do you think would look good in this situation? I could always snatch a font from another game.
My hope is that a good font + bigger text windows + better/smoother translations will make the game a little more palatable.
Other Related Posts:
70 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Font Help
Featured Item on eBay:
Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues