July 27th, 2009 | Auctions, EarthBound, Merchandise

Some EarthBound pogs went up on eBay just now – if you’re a collector or have been around for a while, you know that these are pretty rare 8O

I never understood the whole pog fad, but I remember seeing the ad in Nintendo Power for these EarthBound pogs back in the day. I should’ve gotten them when I had the chance. I’ve seen a lot of rare EarthBound merchandise in real life throughout my journeys, but never have I seen these. Ye who win these boards of roundness will owneth a rare treasure indeed.

24 Comments to EarthBound Pogs for Sale!

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Jul. 27, 2009

What are pogs, anyway?

Earthbound_X said on Jul. 27, 2009

Wow, those look pretty cool, I’d like to have them, but you know they are gonna get bid pretty high, and I have a new CPU to buy.

TheFakePsychic said on Jul. 27, 2009

Basically, Pogs was a game played with the caps of a Hawaiian drink (Passion Orange Guava) You made a stack, and then took one of the lids or a special slammer and try to flip over the stack. You take turns until the whole stack (normally 10 caps) have been flipped.

Pogs in a nutshell

Chimera said on Jul. 27, 2009

must… buy…

Sisto said on Jul. 27, 2009

Those look pretty cool. I think they will probably go
from 100 to 200. Anyone gonna make a bet?

infinitenine said on Jul. 27, 2009

I’d try to get this if I wasn’t so desperately trying to get a cartridge. ): It just feels really wrong playing it on an emulator for some reason.

Poe said on Jul. 27, 2009

I collected pogs when I was in middle school, but I never understood the appeal, even back then. It’s cool that EB got its own set, though.

Spitball Sparky said on Jul. 27, 2009

I got these! Have ‘em in a frame with a silver background hanging on my wall. I had a choice between the loose one, or ones non-punched…but they cost more. But I have never seen another non-punched set, so I simply couldn’t resist.

These pogs don’t get much attention, but I’m pretty sure these are rarer than the Air Freshener. There is a lot of MOTHER merch, but not much EarthBound stuff. Some people to seem to think that these pigs smell or are scratch and sniff, but they aren’t.

reidman said on Jul. 27, 2009

Poe: The appeal of pogs wasn’t that kids loved them, it was that they were so hilariously cheap to produce that they were everywhere ;)

I remember pogs pretty well, and I know for a fact that even though I had a bunch of them, I never actually played because it seemed so boring that I would have felt like a loser asking anyone to play.

Someone Else said on Jul. 27, 2009

No-one ever actually played pogs, you just collected them.

SmaMan said on Jul. 27, 2009

It’s a marriage of two of the most awesome things from the 90s, Earthbound and Pogs! And the set’s only going for 8 bucks?!! Happy MOTHER’s day to me!

santiagoff said on Jul. 27, 2009

pogs. They were a cool thing.

Zinco said on Jul. 27, 2009

Remember Earthbound?

darkgreen_orange said on Jul. 27, 2009

Woah, I remember getting a bunch of pogs in a box of Captain Crunch cereal or something. Never knew anyone else who had any or knew how to play, but I always kept them because I somehow thought it was cool.

Poe said on Jul. 27, 2009

reid: get your business-laden mind away from me.

pooppoop said on Jul. 28, 2009

Zinco: IT’S BACK!
…in pog form

also pogs were so cheap to produce that they actually had a little 10$ “make your own pog” machine. my sister had one and she messed up my scratch and sniff cards from my earthbound guide by making pogs out of some of them

slovaksiren said on Jul. 28, 2009

^ she made some out of your scratch and sniff cards? woah!

So these are legit Earthbound merchandise? Awesome!

Pogs, oh yes, I just missed the fad by a couple years…

ScottKO said on Jul. 30, 2009

MAN I loved pogs! I still have a small tube full of them sitting around somewhere… we used to play pogs all the time in elementary school, so I have no idea what all you guys are talking about when you say “You dont play pogs you just collect them” or “I would feel like a loser asking somebody to play pogs”

Artillery said on Aug. 2, 2009

Dude, I still have some pogs… No EB ones, though. :q

I never really understood it, though. But it does bring back memories, all the boys in school were crazy about them (although I never actually saw anyone playing them).

Kinda like Pokemon cards.

Sisto said on Aug. 9, 2009

Only $46? That’s not bad at all.
I was expecting something huge.

carl manangkil said on Oct. 24, 2011

where to buy this?

carl manangkil said on Oct. 24, 2011

how much is that? ho many pieces

Mato said on Oct. 24, 2011

They’re pretty rare, you can keep an eye on this page to see if they ever show up on eBay.

Anonymous said on Feb. 20, 2013