July 28th, 2009 | Interviews, MOTHER 3, Videos

If you’re not sure who Bill Trinen is, he’s basically like the ultra-top guy in Nintendo of America’s translation/localization department known as the “Treehouse”. You’ve probably seen him during Nintendo’s E3 events, usually joking around with Reggie and interpreting for Miyamoto on stage. He’s a pretty important guy in the company and helps the American and Japanese branches communicate with each other.

Anyway, the other day, he very briefly answered a question about MOTHER 3 put forward by Nintendo World Report. You can see the whole report here, but here’s what he had to say about MOTHER 3:

NWR: Any word on anything for Mother 3 or Another Code coming to America?

BT: You know, when you hear about them, you’ll hear about them. (laughs) Until then, there is nothing on those at this point and time.

I’m surprised people are still asking Reggie and Bill about the game even now, it’s kinda cool. Thanks to Tansunn for the tip!

35 Comments to Bill Trinen Mentions MOTHER 3

sticktendo said on Jul. 28, 2009

Nothing “at this point in time,” eh?

Maybe there’s still a chance!

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Jul. 28, 2009

This is just the nice way of saying “lolno.”

Poe said on Jul. 28, 2009

I want Another Code more than M3 right now 🙁 C’mon, don’t let me fall in love with yet another game and then not bring the sequel over to me :((((

b said on Jul. 28, 2009

One of these days, I hope someone figures out that they’re not supposed to ask them when it’s coming out. They’re supposed to ask them things like what they liked best about the game, what their favorite part was, etc. Guilt them into playing it and make them see what America is missing out on.

santiagoff said on Jul. 28, 2009

We’re dedicated, we will keep asking until they all die xD

hollow leviathan said on Jul. 28, 2009

I’m tempted to guess that it was a personally motivated question by the interviewer – companies don’t really have an interest in the MOTHER series, people do. I think he is a fan and tacked on the desperate shot-in-the-dark question at the very end and just hoped his magazine didn’t mind.

Z-Master said on Jul. 28, 2009

Why Another Code R wasn’t released in North America ? The prequel was, why n… Oh yeah like EarthBound.

Why in Europe and not in NA ? Well actually I bought and finished it ^^’. Even though, I still don’t understand their logic.

SeveredHead said on Jul. 28, 2009

So he’s saying we’ll hear about Mother 3?
YAY

L95 said on Jul. 28, 2009

He essantaly said no.

Not supriseing considering the GBA is dead.

The Great Morgil said on Jul. 28, 2009

The M3 mention at the end was nice, but the whole interview was cool too. I’m really diggin’ WSR right now, so hearing that all was pretty cool.

Xi said on Jul. 28, 2009

DSi won’t even play GBA games.

DSiware looked like it was going to be a good avenue for releasing game boy/game boy advance games, but it doesn’t look promising so far. Nintendo hasn’t even released a virtual console title for two weeks now, and they haven’t released an actual NINTENDO title on the virtual console for almost TWO months! It’s getting hard to keep the faith!

Earthbound_X said on Jul. 28, 2009

What’s this Another Code that was mentioned? Never heard of it.

Chimera said on Jul. 28, 2009

Earthbound_X: well you see, there’s this magical little thing called google…

Sisto said on Jul. 28, 2009

I’m sure these people get bombarded with questions about
Mother 3. They just don’t care.
Like Stimpy said on the episode Side Kick Union: “And if they don’t say yes, we’ll ask them again super nicely!”

Supakitsune said on Jul. 28, 2009

Wait, Trace Memory R came out in Europe already? And not here? Even though it’s THE SAME GAME?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Poe said on Jul. 28, 2009

EB_X – Another Code is known as Trace Memory here in the US. It’s a DS game that was released back around the time when the system was new. The sequel is on the Wii.

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 28, 2009

This guy seems like a good person… maybe he would do something for MOTHER 3.

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 28, 2009

Good point Xi, the DSi ware is a great idea… Like to what happened to Mario VS. Donkey Kong Minis March Again! title.

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 28, 2009

By the way… Something you will never lose is faith Xi, but yeah! Its getting hard to keep it… No Nintendo games in 2 months?! Holy crap, well dont lose the faith and keep going.

SuperTrainStationH said on Jul. 28, 2009

I met Bill along with Reggie and Miyamoto at Nintendo world in 05.

Anthony V said on Jul. 28, 2009

You know, just say no. id rather them say that then for them to beat around the bush and tease us about it. G’s!

L95 said on Jul. 28, 2009

I agree with Anthony V, but I guess they are vague because they could by some ungodly chance, have the game ported to a DSI VC type thing or Have the three mother games ported to a DS cart but that ain’t happening.

Poe said on Jul. 28, 2009

Actually I think it’s considered good business practice to not give straight answers like that. Sucks, but that’s how it is. 😐

Joshua Johnson said on Jul. 29, 2009

god damn, all nintndo does is ignore us about the mother series. If I met him (in the video) or Reggie face to face, I would bug them enought until they gave me a REAL reason why they wouldnt translate the game, instead of just “When you hear about them, you will hear about them”

Is thousands of requests (and toping Nintendo Powers most wanted virtual console poll many times) for a mother/earthbound release not enough? Is a fan translation of mother 3 not enough to show that fans will do anything for a translation? Is all that not enough to show that the mother series will be profitable? (not to mention all of the fan bases and things in the earthbound community that are going on.) what else do we have to do to show nintendo of america that we want earthbound.

Caleb, Of Asui said on Jul. 29, 2009

They’ve been asked about MOTHER 3 for so long now, I’m surprised they haven’t taken the hint.

EarthBoundRules said on Jul. 29, 2009

Joshua Johnson: What are you talking about? Nintendo is the one who made Mother 3. They decide whether it comes overseas or not, not the fans. It’s not like the Mother series is the only thing they have to take care of. At least they brought one game to America. They do know how much we want the game, and they are paying attention to us. If you’re going to keep bugging them like that, they’ll never bring it over. At least the answer isn’t never….yet.

Xi said on Jul. 29, 2009

The majority of the people who open a Nintendo Power aren’t going to take the time out of their day to send communication to vote in a poll. The Mother community had a specific agenda to onslaught Nintendo’s call centers and Nintendo Power’s virtual console polls (Even people who didn’t even subscribe to nintendo power voted in these polls). Nintendo of America realizes that the results are heavily padded. The only hard results they have regarding the Mother series in America are the sales of Earthbound, which were horrendous. So they have to ask themselves: Should we release a sequel to a game that had poor sales on a system that we don’t even sell anymore?

Probably not.

Most of your general gaming community wouldn’t be interested in Mother 3, and the Mother fans have a translation done by our wonderful translators to finally satisfy their appetite. Nintendo made a point that what the translators were doing was against the rules, but by not pursuing legal threats/actions they sent a clear message that they were not interested in releasing Mother 3 stateside, so they weren’t going to stop them.

So, in effect, Mother 3 already IS over here, and the vast majority of the people who wanted it over here in the first place have played it already. What does NoA have to gain from professionally translating the game themselves, then making the investment to release the game stateside to an audience that either isn’t interested or has already played the game? If you think about the answer to that question, then you’ll realize why releasing Mother 3 isn’t high on the priority list.

Xi said on Jul. 29, 2009

We need the good old Nintendo Power sweepstakes back to encourage active voting. A role in the Mask 2, anyone?

Mato said on Jul. 29, 2009

Actually, I think we only encouraged people to vote for the very first VC poll. After that, the games have been topping the charts on their own.

Not that I disagree with the rest of what you said though.

LightningLuigi said on Aug. 1, 2009

Well, its safe to say we’ll never see Mother 3 for the GBA, that ship sailed a long time ago. In fact, it never actually pulled into port. And its even more unlikely that NOA will go out of their way to release it in some other format. But if some sort release happened in Japan, be it a remake or a port or whatever, I see no issue with NOA releasing it. Back when Mother 1+2 and Mother 3 were released, the EarthBound series was pretty infamos. But now people know more about the series, in part due to the Smash Bros series, which we all know helped the localization of the Fire Emblem series and Starfy 5. And I think Brawl helped the most, since it made it clear that EarthBound was a series and not a single release. Not to mention the fans have made it clear they’d like to see more of the series. I think if an oppertunity ever arrouse to bring the series worldwide, the localizers would not hesitate to take it.

LarryTheCucumber said on Aug. 1, 2009

This would be very easy to take out of context…

That is,

NWR: Any word on anything for Mother 3 or Another Code coming to America?

BT: …you’ll hear about them…

Claus said on Aug. 1, 2009

Maybe if BT was president of NoA, he’d do something with MOTHER 3.

Anonymous said on Aug. 2, 2009

notice how as soon as the interviewer mentions “mother 3” bill shakes his head

there you go

massing ness said on May. 9, 2011

Just say yes already! Your driving me INSANE!!!!

BigDream said on Jan. 31, 2012

When you hear about it, you’ll hear about it.

Great answer… -__-