July 22nd, 2009 | MOTHER 3

I’d been considering doing something like this for a while, and my recent work on the MOTHER 3 1.1 patch helped get my enthusiasm back. Plus, the 1.1 script has fewer problems now.

Basically, I’m taking the script, sticking it into a database, and then adding lots of other useful info. People will be able to see the entire script online, including the unused text, which I can easily mark so that they’ll be highlighted. I can also include notes about lines if I feel like it, and I can mark lines with other stuff, like ones that are references to previous games. Basically, lots of neat stuff will be possible.

I found myself with a few spare hours this afternoon, so I started on it. Here’s a very very early preview pic:

Probably at some point in the next few weeks I’ll need to get help from a number of people to help tidy some things up – lots of control codes are still in the text and they need to be changed, and the speaker names/speaker sprites all need to be added too. Stuff like that.

Anyway, it’s nothing much, but this is kind of like how after the patch’s release we released a zip file of all the sprites in the game. To this day people are still searching through all the sprites and discovering new things. This will be like that, except with the game’s text 😀

22 Comments to A Tiny Little Preview

fnool said on Jul. 22, 2009

Sweet; I was actually wondering just how much unused stuff there actually was.

Ector said on Jul. 22, 2009

Wow, that’ll be nice,reading references to the other MOTHER games.

BottleRocket said on Jul. 22, 2009

This’ll be great for reading through, finding all the unused stuff, references, etc. Coincidentally, I was just looking at the unused stuff section of the Mother 3 site. Can’t wait for it to be complete!

Dale said on Jul. 22, 2009

Will definitely be interested in seeing this when it’s done… thanks for spending time doing this!

Komaru said on Jul. 22, 2009

It’d be cool if you could also release the source code, I’mma think I need a bit of help getting Robopon Star translated.

Mato said on Jul. 22, 2009

Source code to what? If you mean the M3 translation, that wouldn’t be of any use for any other game but Mother 3.

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on Jul. 22, 2009

I’d love to see all the unused items.

Komaru said on Jul. 22, 2009

At Mato-
Sorry ’bout that, I sort of misunderstood.
I was talking about the program used to extract the text from the pointers.

Mato said on Jul. 22, 2009

Actually I just took my English script text and ran it through a custom program or two I wrote this afternoon.

—–

Anyway, in other news, some people might remember this weird garbage can in Chapter 7:

I’m pretty sure it’s a bug in the original game that causes it to use the wrong line of text. But because I’m messing with this stuff right now, I found out what the line for this was supposed to be:

@The bottom of the garbage can is littered with
doughnut crumbs.

Nothing special, but it’s neat to see that the text for the can is still in there. I thought it was completely gone. I bet Jeff might be able to figure out how to make it work again, since he figured out how to add lines of text to text blocks for the secret messages we added.

santiagoff said on Jul. 22, 2009

Amazing mato, you’ll just never cease to amaze me.
You deserve a Nobel prize :0

Elobo said on Jul. 22, 2009

Cool stuff. It’ll definitely be worth a look~

Exor said on Jul. 23, 2009

Could you also put the original Japanese text beside your translated English? It would be quite enlightening.

Spitball Sparky said on Jul. 23, 2009

Awesome idea! I’ve been so curious about the unused Locria text since you mentioned it on the forum awhile back.

Zinco said on Jul. 23, 2009

EXCELLENT CHOICE OF TEXT!!!

questionsleep said on Jul. 23, 2009

“…we released a zip file of all the sprites in the game.”
Would you be willing to change the post to link to that?
I’m sure there are others, other than myself, who would enjoy adding this data to our collection.

Komaru said on Jul. 23, 2009

At Questionsleep:
It’s pretty cool.

Pyroguy42 said on Jul. 23, 2009

Wow Mato with all this stuff going on. You must hate sleep or have you never heard of sleep.

questionsleep said on Jul. 24, 2009

Hey, thank you, Komaru
=]

Pyroguy42:
Sleep is very boring. If you partake in it too frequently, consider lessening it. There is a lot of life to be had.

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 24, 2009

Indeed, I saw that text in the Chapter 7 but, when I saw that, I thought it was a stupid thing that the original game had but translated. Now I know it wasnt a joke.

JudgeDeadd said on Dec. 1, 2009

This reminds me of when I was looking through the development screenshots of the translation, and saw that apparently the lines of the mice in the attic (written in some weird Japanese slang?) confused the poor translator so much that he changed them simply to “WTF AAAAAAAAAAA?!” Poor guy…

PSI Rockin' said on Jan. 7, 2011

WAIT… How did you post a picture Mato? Is it a Site-Owner thing or http or what?

Mato said on Jan. 7, 2011

Yeah, it’s because I’m the site admin.

Find Merchandise!