Shat-Canned Legends: MOTHER 3
Popular Posts:None found
June 21st, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up
Holy moly, where did the last week go? It’s a new week already?
This past week was a quieter one than usual. Man, it’d be so cool (and crazy-fying) if a new MOTHER game or a remake or something was announced sometime. But the best we got now are screenshots from that lookalike game for the ROID system. I remember how exciting everybody was back in 2006 when MOTHER 3 was announced and I guess I miss that now. It kind of sucks how it seems like sequels and spinoffs are the ONLY thing companies make anymore, but not when it comes to this series. But, it might also be a blessing in disguise.
Anyway, that’s just me thinking to myself, I’ll quit that so we can see what’s happened this past week!
- MOTHER 3 fan translation patch version 1.1 is in the testing stage now. My hope is that the free, online version of the MOTHER 3 handbook will be ready at the same time.
- More screenshots from that EarthBound lookalike game
- Another EarthBound ruler (the measuring kind) surfaces!
- Ness’s dog can climb ladders and use unused sprites!
- People love the Runaway Five more than DCMC!
- Some more fan-made merchandise and auctions
- A look at the names in the EarthBound games
- I R DUM + a giant Mr. Saturn that costs waaaaay too much
- A real life Mr. Saturn ladder
- Itoi and his dog are weird
- Some kind of EarthBound video contest
Cool Auctions & Merchandise
Some cool new stuff this week! Probably the biggest thing of note is that there are MOTHER 1+2 keychain figures being auctioned off individually. This is usually the cheapest way to get your hands on them now, so check them out here!
You can also see all the other EarthBound-related merchandise currently on eBay at the above link, so check it out if you’re looking for stuff or just bored and want to see what’s going on 😀 Anyway, here’s some neat stuff this week:
- MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box + MOTHER 3 Handbook! – this would’ve been so cool as an official bundle
- Rare Mr. Saturn strap with free shipping – looks like it’ll go for a very low price!
- Another MOTHER 2 cartridge for only $8.99
- MOTHER 3 with box and instructions – this is as cheap as they come now
- Seiken Densetsu, Final Fantasy V, and MOTHER 2 cartridges
- EarthBound complete, mint condition
- Official MOTHER 1+2 Starman keychain
- Mach Pizza air freshener – very rare
And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:
- MOTHER 1 Franklin Badge replica
- Itoi’s ramen card game
- EarthBound is being sold in Japan! – I’ve never seen this happen before with EB 😯 Includes box and guide!
And Amazon stuff:
- I mentioned this before, but Itoi got some inspiration for stuff in EarthBound from this famous novel called Sirens of Titan. I read it a few months ago, but my memory is fuzzy now, so I was hoping someone with more free time might be able to read through it and provide a review/synopsis/quick list of stuff that seemed EarthBoundy. I only remember like two or three things now and I don’t have the time to re-read it 😐
- The Earthbound Anthology from Starmen.net
- Pic of the Day: Earthbound 2 Pack!
- Game Center CX on Mother [Earthbound Zero]
- Earthbound Strategy Guide!
- Missing in Action: EarthBound
- Gems of Gaming: Earthbound
- EarthBound hack – Scrapyard Walkabout
- Mother 3 wallpaper for you!
- Mother 3 Guide
- Música de Videojuegos: Mother 3
- Finally! I beat Mother 3!
- Hinawa’s letter in Spanish
- Adventure of Pigmask forum game
- This Song of Eight Pieces (Let’s Play)
- Pigmask forum game
- Of Pigs and Masks comic
- The Chosen Four comic
- Birdy and Chimera comic!
I currently live in Magicant, so I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!
What’s Up With Itoi
- This week, Itoi talked about how there was a time in Japan’s history when value was placed in being praised by the western world, and not necessarily the world itself. But that’s changed quite a bit now.
- He also talked about how he still feels like there isn’t enough time in the day to his liking, even though he keeps a good schedule and even makes sure he gives himself free time.
- He also discussed how everyone in Japan (though this probably applies to everywhere too) says that TV has gotten a lot more boring than it used to be. Itoi doesn’t disagree, but he does feel that there’s plenty of really good stuff if you look for it. He’s especially fond of NHK programs. He also thinks that too often people will look at a list of what people are in a show and make a decision about the show before even seeing it, when in actuality the shows wind up being great.
- Itoi also talked about aliens and villains, and although it wasn’t directly MOTHER-related, I thought it was interesting enough for me to save the text so I can translate it and post it in an update later on. Basically he talked about the trend of making villains things like zombies and aliens, things that are clear-cut enemies of all of humanity.
Blech, I didn’t get around to doing all the updates this week that I had wanted. So some of those updates will probably come this week. My work schedule this week seems to be up in the air, so I can’t make any good predictions of what I’ll update EB Central with this week. So it’ll be a mystery roller coaster of fun for us all I guess.
I forget what game it was, but some new game I played recently had controls similar to EarthBound – you could control almost everything with your left hand alone. I thought it was neat to see that, though I can’t remember what game it was now.
Other Related Posts:
14 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #23
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.