June 21st, 2009 | Polls

Most of the father figures in the MOTHER series are horrible dads. Ness’s dad is never home (Ninten’s either), Lucas’s dad neglects him, Paula’s dad doesn’t even know she’s kidnapped and instead runs around wanting to give her pie. Alec doesn’t seem to care too much about Hinawa.

We’ve already seen who the favorite father figure in the MOTHER series is, so let’s take a look at who the worst father is this time. Plus it’s Father’s Day and everything 😛

First up is Aloysius Minch, Pokey’s father. He seems abusive and it was probably his parenting that led Pokey to wind up super crazy evil.

Next is Dr. Andonuts, who threw his son into a boarding school and forgot about him. Literally – he doesn’t even recognize Jeff right away when you first meet Dr. A in the game. Yet, he somehow recognizes Ness, a boy he’s never met, at first sight. He also doesn’t seem to care much about his reunion with Jeff. He just says, “Let’s meet up again in a few years.” He also knowingly lends Jeff dangerous inventions that nearly kill him.

Lastly is Wess, who is Duster’s father. Technically, he might not be, but there’s also a line late in the game where one of them mentions how deep down they feel like they really were father and son before everything happened. In any case, Wess raised Duster harshly, possibly even causing Duster’s leg injury. He constantly yells at Duster, calls him an idiot non-stop, and is just a real ass to Duster.

So, which father do you think is the worst? Click here to vote!

POLL: Who's the worst father here?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

101 Comments to The Worst Fathers Ever

Chimera said on Jun. 21, 2009

I’d have to say Andonuts, he’s terrible.

fnool said on Jun. 21, 2009

People who send their kids to boarding school are awful, awful parents.

Mistermister said on Jun. 21, 2009

Aloysius Minch, no doubt. He’s, in somewhays, responsible for Pokey becoming twisted and wanting to destroy the world.

santiagoff said on Jun. 21, 2009

Aloysius at least gave a crap about his children. Andonuts, apart from sending his son to a boarding school (which I disapprove), can’t even recognize his own son when he sees him. Wess is the BEST between this 3, he’s just harsh because that’s the only way he can express love to Duster.

Shamu said on Jun. 21, 2009

I’ll go for Atti- I mean Aloysius, because in my guess, he’s the one that made Porky evil.

PK Mt. Fuji said on Jun. 21, 2009

I voted for Mr. Minch Meat, HE deserves a spanking.

Poe said on Jun. 21, 2009

Well Pokey’s a bad kid, I can understand why his dad would be tough with him. I doubt he’d listen any other way. I never saw Wess as abusive for some reason, I guess I assumed he was hard on Duster because he was training him.

Now Dr. A, there’s no excuse for his neglect. Jeff is a great kid and would probably be helpful in the lab, but Dr. A is uninterested in just about everything about him. All he remembers is Jeff used to wet the bed. I feel sorry for Jeff, because I assume he doesn’t have a mother either. Poor lonely genius.

Ratheronfire said on Jun. 21, 2009

Definitely Aloysius. Pokey nearly destroyed the world twice, not to mention everything that he did in Mother 3.

Shamu said on Jun. 21, 2009

Poe: you’re missing the whole point. It’s Aloysius that made Pokey bad.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Jun. 21, 2009

Aloysius Minch, not even close. Dr. Andonuts is a famous scientist, and Jeff lives in a boarding school. It’s no surprise he never see Jeff, and Wess is all about tough love. Mr. Minch is the only one who woul be considered a horrible dad.

Rockin'Ness said on Jun. 21, 2009

I vote Aloysius. He was the reason Porky turned evil in the first place! I actually thought that Wess was a good father, he just didn’t know how to express love any other way. Also, he only worked Duster so hard because he was training him, and I suppose that part of the White Ship’s ”Story” was that Duster had to protect something very, very, very important, so Wess was not his dad when he was training him, but a mean teacher. Also, Andonuts is a close second to Aloysius, but Aloysius beats him because he caused Porky to be evil, which spurred him into joining Giygas, and eventually taking over the Nowhere Islands.

Poe said on Jun. 21, 2009

Shamu – I do not believe that is the case. Picky’s just fine and they were both brought up the same way.

Claus said on Jun. 21, 2009

Ahh, I don’t know. They’re all such bad fathers.

Mr. Jupiter said on Jun. 21, 2009

Andonuts may be be forgetful, and Wess might be a jerk but at least they don’t hate they’re kids… Thus i vote Minch.

Claus said on Jun. 21, 2009

Aloysius.

Joshua Johnson said on Jun. 21, 2009

Pokey’s dad. I think Dr. Andonuts would pay more attention to his son if he wasn’t so busy, And wess is just not coddling Duster so he will learn about Tough love.

But to actually beat your son, thats awfull. I dont think he was the reason pokey turned evil, it was giygas that turned him evil

Eedracon said on Jun. 21, 2009

I voted Andonuts…. Porky’s dad seems to be a nice guy actually and cares for his kids….. although he does spank his kids, at least the true punishment is more like “no dessert.” Andonuts, on the otherhand, give his kid many dangerous things and never cares for him.

Stardude said on Jun. 21, 2009

Andonuts for sure.

Lo said on Jun. 21, 2009

Jeeez this is hard. I ended up voting Andonuts, and my reasoning is more or less in the same vein. Wess and Aloysius, in their own way (particularly twisted in the latter’s case), at least attempted to father their sons. The good doctor? Not one thing did he ever do for Jeff. I, like a lot of you, never really saw Wess as cruel so much as tough. And Aloysius… well, he certainly is a terrible person, but at least he was a presence – however negative – in the lives of his children. Even Jeff feels awkward calling his father “Dad” – he messes up at first and calls him “Dr. Andonuts.” Because that’s all he’s ever been to him. And probably all he ever will be. 😐

RCat said on Jun. 21, 2009

Gotta vote for Dr. Andonuts. The worst we saw of Aloysius was him delivering physical discipline to his kids off-screen. It’s more likely that Lardna is to blame for Pokey becoming what he is, considering that she thinks her husband is too lenient and beats down plot-significant characters.

As for Wess, sure, he was an ass to Duster, but he was definitely there for Duster. Even if Wess caused Duster’s leg injury, it hasn’t really stopped Duster from pulling off some super-fast preemptive strikes. Besides, Wess gets his come-uppance in Chapter 4 when he is put into a nursing home.

Dr. Andonuts, as previously stated, wasn’t even there for Jeff. He just dropped him off at a boarding school which, when you consider how Maxwell loves toying with people using bad keys, and the next closest male figure turns out to be an annoying girlfriend, must’ve caused numerous development problems for Jeff.

Fred McNanner said on Jun. 21, 2009

Anoduts for me.
Aloysius was a real prick, but he did give Picky and Porky wht they deserved for sneaking out.
Wess is a jerk to Duster, but he really does love him. I think he even tears up if you see him after you get Duster back from Titiboo.

Aisu said on Jun. 21, 2009

I always found it interesting that Pokey’s dad name was Aloysius. After all, there was a famous man who’s dad’s name was Alois… I think his name was, I dunno… Adolf Hitler…? Just throwing that out there…

Hyperstar96 said on Jun. 21, 2009

How is Wess one of the choices? Wess is awesome!

owls said on Jun. 21, 2009

Dr. Andonuts was a bad father yet, he’s still awesome.

BlueLightning said on Jun. 21, 2009

Aloysius Minch. Spankety, spankety, spankety!

EzraSmith said on Jun. 21, 2009

I never even met my father.

Churly said on Jun. 21, 2009

Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt Aloysius had a lot to do with Pokey’s mentality.

Mother said on Jun. 21, 2009

I am amazed no one has said Ness father is the worse.

Phil L said on Jun. 21, 2009

I also chose Aloysius. Aside from the fact that he’s physically abusive he’s also absolutely greedy. The only time you ever saw any sort of encouragement from him toward his son was when he had taken over Fourside, and that was only because of Pokey’s ill gotten position of “success”. All Pokey was at that point was a meal ticket.

Picky, however, seems to simply have an entirely different personality. The fact that the two brothers share the same father and mother doesn’t mean they’ll grow up to be anything alike. Pokey was obviously the biggest handful, while Picky learned to be independent and to stay out of the way.

Dr. Andonuts is an extremely close second. The only reason I didn’t choose him was because of Aloysius’ greed. Andonuts just didn’t seem to know how to raise a child properly and couldn’t drag himself away from his work. I don’t condone that as an excuse, but at least his influence (or lack thereof) wasn’t completely negative.

KingDarian said on Jun. 21, 2009

Dr. Andonuts gets my vote. He abandoned Jeff(and his mother?) to run off to a secluded lab where he can live out the rest of his life with a cave boy, the son he wished he had. Dr. Andonuts just couldn’t get over the fact that Jeff never brought any picnic lunches home. And one day he just shows up with cookies and some bubble gum, thinking that they can fill the empty void in his life. But he thought wrong. He should have known that his father was allergic to chocolate and the only bubble gum he ever chews is sauerkraut flavored. “Let’s meet up in a few years when you’ve worked some sense into that head of yours!” screamed Dr. Andonuts before cramming his son into a rusty cannonball aimed at his soon-to-be grave, shooting him toward certain doom. “Mwahahahahahaha….”

<_<

James said on Jun. 22, 2009

Flint. Sure, looking for Claus every day was a noble thing to do as Claus’ dad, but it’s a terrible thing to do as Lucas’ dad.

sammy said on Jun. 22, 2009

I also noticed all the dads were pretty terrible in this game. Did Itoi have a bad relationship with his dad or something?

Ultimate Phoenix said on Jun. 22, 2009

Dr. Andonuts since the others can at least recognize their son.

Cyclone said on Jun. 22, 2009

Why is beating your kids considered evil?

Millhouse said on Jun. 22, 2009

Andonuts. Seriously, I can’t stand the face of his.
Aloysius may have used the wrong kind of education, but sometimes, only that kind of “Zuckerbrot & Peitsche” education helps, and Pokey definitely seems like he’s that kind of kid. Aloysius seems more like he’s desperate with his pig of a son.

Dr.Andonuts has a son who’s basically a genius, puts him into boarding school, won’t even recognize him when they meet up, and doesn’t want anything to do with his son. However, he acknowledges a caveman who he seems to have adopted as a son in his place.

And Wess, well he just can’t jump over his shadow, and even though Duster got his leg injury from his thief training, they’re deeply connected. Also, I don’t think Duster would be capable of surviving if it weren’t for Wess. They need each other, Wess would go crazy if he didn’t have Duster to keep him alive, and Duster would die of boredom and loneliness if he didn’t have Duster

Blind said on Jun. 22, 2009

“and Duster would die of boredom and loneliness if he didn’t have Duster”
Yeah, I guess everybody would be pretty lonely without themselfes ^^

Pimpshi said on Jun. 22, 2009

Minch is designed to be the worst father ever, and the guy delivers. He no doubt helped cultivate Pokey’s personality and disregard for the well-being of others through his disregard for the well-being of his own children and his abusive, callous nature.

EmeraldWind said on Jun. 22, 2009

Well, Minch also seems to complain a lot about money. So much so that Pokey seems to share the grudge his dad’s grudge with Ness’s dad and by extention Ness.

I suppose one could argue that Pokey gets his bad attitude from his dad, but for some reason I think that Pokey is just naturally a total cactus-cushion. He seems to go out of his way to insult people, but he also tries to get positions of power. I think this is partially due to Giygas’s influence on the evil in every heart, but that evil already existed. Giygas just stirred up that evil. I think Pokey striving for positions of power was to gain his father’s favor.

Though… We see robot copies of Mrs. Minch, but nothing what-so-ever about Mr. Minch in Mother 3 (as far as I remember). So maybe Pokey simply didn’t care about his father at that point.

FamiconMaster said on Jun. 22, 2009

Dr Andonuts it’s loid from MOTHER 1, and Ness is Ninten’s son! it makes all sense! in MOTHER 3 where we find Dr. A? in trash can! where we find Loid? in a trash can!
The fact that Ninten is Ness father is obvious! the red cap that Ness saw in the entrace to Magicant (when we get the 8th melodie)is Ninten’s red cap!
and Ana case……i dont know.

Mrs. Saturn said on Jun. 22, 2009

I voted for Minch – I take the position that Wess was showing Duster “tough love,” and maybe even being overly mean to compensate for feelings of guilt over hurting Duster’s leg; and Dr. Andonuts seems well-intentioned, if clueless.

I wonder if all the bad fathers in the Mother series are supposed to make us gravitate toward the female parents, since “mothers” are so thematically important to the games and all.

pooppoop said on Jun. 22, 2009

you keep bringing up the sirens of titan
but dr andonuts reminds me of a character from another vonnegut book. the scientist father who neglects his kids and seems unaware of the world around him from cat’s cradle

PSInesslove93 said on Jun. 22, 2009

aloysius minch no doubt

rawpower said on Jun. 22, 2009

Dr. A because he doesn’t even care about Jeff. At least Minch had some disipline.

Spitball Sparky said on Jun. 22, 2009

Aloysius…c’mon, people.

Dr. Andonuts and Wess have their faults, but they both raised heroes.

Mr. Nosy said on Jun. 22, 2009

Wes’ constant abuse (and my high ignorance of the other two) caused me to vote for him.

MR. Jupiter said on Jun. 22, 2009

I second those spanketys… ON MINCH!!!!!!

DiamondizedLucas said on Jun. 22, 2009

I’d actually Pick Wess for this, but I’m going with Dr. Andonuts. He didn’t even realize that Jeff was his son!

Leirin said on Jun. 22, 2009

Dr. Andonuts has always been my favorite because of how quirky he is. Plus, he eats donuts. The other dads don’t eat donuts.

I vote Aloysius.

WhatsHerFace said on Jun. 22, 2009

Aloysius, definitely.
Wess is hard on Duster, but I thought it was because he knew Duster could do well if he really tried. Andonuts…Yes, he forgets his son, but near the end you can tell he really cared for Jeff.

Keiji Dragon said on Jun. 22, 2009

Without a doubt in my mind. Mr. Minch.

Thenumber1yoshi said on Jun. 22, 2009

I’m not really going to vote but just comment little bit of spoilers, first off when I first returned the Noble Spittoon to Wess I realized that Wess and Duster’s relationship reminded Me a lot of the one Cranky Kong and Donkey Kong have (especially the one from the Donkey Kong Country Cartoon) but Wess and Duster do care about each other, Wess isn’t heartless, at one point when going back to the nursing home he even showed some signs of caring towards him, can’t say much about the leg handicap as the history behind it was never explained throughly enough.

Andonuts, well he may have left Jeff at a boarding school, but he shows no signs of being extremely cruel towards his son, he also lived not too far from the boarding house, and at least when Jeff and his friends came to get his help he was willing to be able to help them out. I’ve always wondered if him and Jeff were together after Giygas defeat, what became of the whole staying together to work on things turn out and what happend with them after the whole Pokey/Porky abuducting Andonuts while they were together. I would think Jeff would at least try to do something top stop that event, also I would really have liked to know how that whole abduction turned out if they were together at the time and how the events played out and the aftermath of it.

Aloysius, well I have to agree with a lot of the people around here, him and Lardna were just really bad parents, I’ve even thought that may be the reason Pokey/Porky may be the way he is, I mean when you think about it the enviorment those parents made Picky and him grow up in can’t have been a good one (especially when you consider the Japanese version of the punishment they get, (I understand a spanking but if you lose it and beat your child thats a little too much)) I kind of think maybe Pokey/Porky might have turned out to be a better person if his parents weren’t the way they were and had he been raised in a different enviorment, I’m guessing Picky was one of the few who had managed to not turn out bad because of bad parents (there are a few people with bad parents who are able to turn out ok, its rare but its possible, My Mother suggest you read “a child called it”).

Anyways thats My stance on all of them.

That One Guy said on Jun. 22, 2009

Wow, that’s a hard decision. They all seem to be complete assholes.

Ice Sage said on Jun. 22, 2009

Aloysius was openly awful to Ness & his family, so I had to vote for him. Both Dr. Andonuts and Wess actually helped you against Giygas & Pokey, respectively, while Aloysius simply went along with Pokey for wealth. Andonuts and Wess may be iffy fathers, but at least they aren’t as corrupt as Aloysius at all.

Btw I like your theory, Mrs. Saturn. It makes sense.

Petah-Petah said on Jun. 23, 2009

My vote goes to Aloysius Minch.

imo, the way your kid will end up will decide how well your parenting skills are. And we all know how Porky Minch turned out.

Shamu said on Jun. 23, 2009

Poe- Well, I think Picky was just fine because he accepted what he got, and Pokey may thought that acting like his dad was completely alright.

metroid_maniac said on Jun. 24, 2009

Gotta be andonuts. he sucks.

Harley said on Jun. 24, 2009

Children are a reflection of their parent’s skills. Therefore, no contest, Mr. Minch. Andonuts is neglectful, but he probably pays out the ears to get his son the best possible education, and lives just a few minutes from the boarding school, showing at least a desire to be close to his son. Duster’s dad is rough, and should probably go to sensitivity training, but any of us raised in part by our grandfathers, understand that tough love is still love(my pops is a former marine and I had latrine duty and KP duty when I screwed up, plus he choked me twice after I became an adult, but he wants only for my success). That’s my opinion and views, not that it counts for much.

Sen said on Jun. 24, 2009

I love Wess. There’s an endearing quality to him.

It’s hard to choose between Dr. Andonuts and Mr. Minch, but I always felt that something Dr. A was doing was a bit wrong. Just a gut feeling, no deep thought to it. As people all these men would probably be nice, but as fathers they kinda suck, especially Dr. A.

Blueman said on Jun. 24, 2009

Sure, Jeff was sent to boarding school, but Aloysis “beats” his kids, has a tendency to act gullible (to Ness’ dad), and even near-fully profits off of Pokey’s uprising to Monotoli. Some Dad.

On a side note, who would you vote for, Mato?

Megazerox said on Jun. 25, 2009

I am going to give my opinions on each the fathers here.

First off Wess, he may have been tough on Duster but it was tough love. He shows sighns of caring in the game. He is the best father here.

Next is Pokey’s father. He may beat have beaten his child at least that time, but there is no proof it is a regular thing. Anyways, Pickey turned out alright and he lent Ness’s dad alot of money that he never returned. It’s no wonder Pokey hates Ness. Pokey twisted himself, not his Dad.

Finaly, and least, Dr. Andonuts. He put his son in a bording school and never sees him. Alot of people say “at least he lives close to his son”. In Earthbound, like other RPGs, everything isn’t in real distance. You can go from a plain to a desert within 5 minutes. For all we know, he could live hours away. Plus, he lives at the end of a cave filled with monsters. He only lives “close” to Jeff because he is studying stone henge. He would rather live with a caveman and a rat than his own son. Also all the reasons Mato gave, I voted him the worst Dad.

@Spitball Sparky: They bothe raised heroes? Andonuts didn’t raise his son. The boarding school raised his son.

@Harley: If that is true, why isn’t Picky bad? If you say he was one of the few good ones, why can’t that work in reverse for Pokey? Why can’t he be few of the bad ones?

Singing Cactus said on Jun. 26, 2009

Ana’s dad. “My wife has disappeared, so I’ll let my daughter listen to the voices inside her head and travel with two boys for no reason!”

Porky Minch said on Jun. 27, 2009

Pokey’s dad is the worst because he made Pokey team up with Giygas

Prof. Saturn said on Jun. 27, 2009

al is worst bcause he caused Pokey/Porky to do some evil stuff this is all because of him

Hinawa and Claus died
all those poor creatures now chimeras
etc. …

NOT TO MENTION HE DID THE MOST CREUL THING EVER!
he made Mr. Saturns hear scary stories

Z-Dan said on Jul. 1, 2009

May be a little late, but I voted for Aloysius for much the same reasons as above.
Though my real reason for voting is because I think you give Dr. A a bad time… the whole area of Winters is based off England where there are many boarding schools which are extremely expensive to get into- and you come out of them a genius. So by paying for Jeff to get into a boarding school, he’s partly responsible for Jeff being a genius too. Not to mention near the end, when he shows genuine reluctance for what he has to do to Jeff- his son.

Koyuki said on Jul. 1, 2009

Personally, I think Wess just expects too much of him and doesn’t know how to say things that show he cares… but that’s just me. Dr. Andonuts may be pretty neglectful, but an abusive father is much, much worse in my opinion. So, Aloysius it is!

Artillery said on Jul. 1, 2009

Aloysius, because he’s a prick who caused Po(r)k(e)y to pretty much go crazy and become the evil overlord he is.

Andonuts isn’t as bad as Aloysius, because even though he neglected Jeff he did end up helping him. Besides, he didn’t just abandon him, at least he sent him to a nice boarding school :\

And I don’t think Wess is a bad father. He genuinely cares about Duster, he just has some tough love issues. I think that Wess just wanted to push Duster to become more skilled. Besides, did we not pay attention to the scene where he and Duster are reunited in the nursing home?

shirokiryuu said on Jul. 1, 2009

This is why the series is called “Mother” not “Father”
=D

Deathbydumb said on Jul. 2, 2009

Aloysius hands down

Hunter said on Jul. 2, 2009

I really don’t want to be punished with [i]no dessert for a decade![/i]

LakituAl said on Jul. 2, 2009

Between all those three: Andonuts. He has a gem of a son and sends him to that hell of a school!

If I was Alloysius, I would actually beat Pokey even MOAR, just as the way I was raised (yes, I’m a pretty nice guy, thank you).

As for Wess, I forgive his cruelty towards Duster for showing off some of the coolest dances in this world.

However, the worst is Paula’s!
Her parents make her be a teacher/babysitter against her will! With all those brats that all they can say is “I wanna be like her”! She gets lost. What is the solution? Buy some pie!? It better be a good one!

Lord_Kluckor said on Jul. 3, 2009

I don’t see how anyone could possibly be worse than Andonuts

At least Alloysius kept his son around…

Anonymous said on Jul. 5, 2009

mr saturns hate al for making porky use pigmasks to tell scary stores

Gaomon752 said on Jul. 5, 2009

wess is just a link for humor relief in oshoeby calling himm names same as kumatora wess is just hard because he knew this day was comming and he links up to duster’s handicap iin the story
that is why wess isnt that bad

Phantomaxl1412 said on Jul. 6, 2009

No one has said anything about Loid’s dad and he calls his own son a weakling and then returns to his trashcan.

Corruptendo said on Jul. 7, 2009

UGH Wess, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PREFORM BIG-TIME CHILD ABUSE?!

Artsy said on Jul. 10, 2009

I’d pick Aloysius Minch. I’m not one for hitting your child, whether they did something bad or not, because there are always better ways in my opinion.

Although all the fathers throughout the Mother series have their own strange ways with their kids.
And Paula’s is just… uh..
“PAULA, DELICIOUS PIE TIME! PAULA?! D:”
Seriously.

And Ninten/Ness’s dads are alike to Dr. Andonuts. In the games, the kids never get to see them, but they still supply them with the money they need to get through everything. But yeah, Dr. A is a bit of an asshole for not being able to recognize poor Jeffy as his own son. At least Ninten/Ness’s dads let them call them at work and stuff. It still is sad that they don’t see their dads. Dr. Andonuts never gave Jeff his damn phone number.

But, nonetheless, Aloysius Minch has got to be the worst dad for abusing his child, and then letting him go out own his own, regardless of him not knowing the true human value.
And he only accompanied Pokey in the Monotoli building because there was money that came with it.. XP

Mr. S said on Jul. 13, 2009

Aloysius is an idiot.
How he never stopped Pokey and let it become a crazy evil idiot?!

I voted him the worst Dad.

PKBlackTornado said on Jul. 15, 2009

Aloysius ( Jeez that’s hard to spell! ) gets my vote.

Probably because I like the other two too much. ( Like the 1/128 possibility that Dr. Andonuts is Loid and how Wess can get down with his bad self~ )

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 16, 2009

All of you who voted for Dr. Andonuts or Wess are losing the whole point of Aloysius… He made pokey a bad kid, with his abussive punishment to his kids… If you havent played Earthbound then play it.

Megazerox said on Jul. 17, 2009

PKSTARMAN, you are the one not getting the point. In LakituAl’s post above, he said he got beat, and look at him, he’s turned out all right. Andonuts sent away his child when his child was a baby, and you can’t make the excuse “well boarding schools are expensive to get into so Andonuts cared” won’t work here. He could at least waited untill Jeff was eight or so and asked him if he wanted to. Also, he DID have room for Jeff, shown as he has a caveman living with him (along with a rat, but he probably lives in the wall), but instead he sends his son hundreds of miles away to a boarding school and may not ever see him again before he dies. Again, what would you do if you had an evil child like Porky? Eventually, you would probably sucumb to beating.

me said on Jul. 21, 2009

Where’s the black rotary phone representing Ness’ dad?

MOTHERMoondance-- said on Jul. 22, 2009

Well, if there’s the 1/256 posibility Dr. A is Loid, then Loid was a real ass. Which he’s not. Also, he would have to age quickly.
Also, Wess isn’t that bad… Okay, maybe he is harsh, and calls Duster an idiot everytime he can.
But Aloysius is evil. He treats his kids like if they were… fecal matter, spanking their ass when he can, and when he cannot (AKA “when he’s outta Japan”) he kicks their dessert off (which isn’t evil, OSHI-)
Porky grew to be a porking bitch because of Aloysius.
While Ness’s dad communicates with him over the phone, and the game is EB, I seriously doubt he’s alive D:
Maybe he’s a possesing lil’ ghost, that communicates over the phone!
But anyway, Ness’s Dad may actually BE the phone? (credits from EB). I mean, if not, he seriously overworks (maybe if we get to see Ness’s Birthday we may see him).
Paula’s dad tries to run around and dessert her (lol, RickRoll’D! Also, pie is dessert). But he even cried when he saw her again, and when she went on adventure with Ness.
Flint visits Hinawa’s grave and looks for Claus, neglecting his other son, and rejecting reality (even an idiot can assume Claus is dead after finding his shoes, and then it IS confirmed (Flint should look down).

Giygaphobic guy said on Jul. 29, 2009

A.Minch is the worst dad EVER! I feel bad for Pokey/Porkey….Also did anyone notice the spank noise? jap:pk thunder? english: lazer of some sort or cut hit damage?

someguywholikesmotherseriesalot said on Nov. 30, 2009

porky’s dad because
1. he let porky become evil or something
2.he and his son is a dooshbag
3.his son made claus evil
4.he dosen’t like ness
wess and jeffs dad are ok

yetikirby said on Dec. 3, 2009

Aloysius is a relly bad person for leting pokey become evil, but Dr.Andonuts sent jeff to a boarding school, and wess called duster ( who is a relly awesome charicter) a moron like 100 times! So they all have their resons

Wafffo said on Jan. 4, 2010

i voted Andonuts
Wess and Mr. Minch actually care for their kids and give them homes when Andonuts just sends Jeff to a boarding school and forgets everything but his name and the fact that he use to wet his bed

ghostgirl21696 said on Jan. 8, 2010

…for once, I have no sarcastic quips.

MOTHERMoondance-- said on Feb. 1, 2010

(warning: this ass-long speech was made during half-asleepness)

The characters’ relationships with their parents seem to be based off John Lennon’s Mother song, where he states:

“Father, you left me, but I never left you
I needed you, you didn’t need me”

This can be probably true for the protagonists’ fathers, but specially Lucas, whose father neglected him for his lost child, Claus. Completely understandable, just as Lucas’ probable desire for an actual father.

Ninten and Ness’ fathers are usually seen as always-working fathers, who neglect their wives and daughters while encouraging their sons to beat up random shit on the streets (either that, or Ness’ dad is a phone. Ninten’s dad is definitely not, though).

While Pokey’s relationship is strikingly similar to John’s line about his mother on “Mother”:

“Mother, you had me, but I never had you
I wanted you, you didn’t want me”

Pokey’s dad seemed to be heartless and beat up his children for every fault they commited, and yet, Pokey still seemed to love him. Pokey’s dad and mum seemed to know they had 2 children and that they lived with them; but didn’t even care for them. They were too busy making a victim out of themselves regarding Ness’ dad huge loan with them. They didn’t even care about each other; Aloysius is found with a drinking problem on Fourside’s bar, and Lardna had an affair while he was gone.

Oh, right. I vote for Aloysius.

death said on Feb. 7, 2010

wess his sons leg broke and he didnt care
dr a lived near jeffs boarding school.
and pokeys father was diceplining him

ghostgirl21696 said on Feb. 10, 2010

I have to say all 3 are equally bad, but at least Dr.A and Wess lightened up. Aloysius just got drunk.

Beat said on Feb. 13, 2010

i voted Wess.Does that make me a bad person?

Staarf said on Apr. 9, 2010

Dr. Andonuts is a terrible father in a funny, absentminded kind of way.

So in my inability to take anything seriously I voted for him.

EarthBound less fan said on May. 31, 2010

How is Flint a bad father? Every day he went and searched for Claus. Also, when Claus was trying to hurt Lucas, Flint blocked the attack.

BLMNDEF said on Aug. 7, 2010

Aloysus Mincemeat didn’t make Porky evil, just hit him with an Aluminum Baseball bat (EarthBound) and a machine gun-type thing (Mother 2). The Mani-Mani Devil made him evil. Aloysus gets my vote

TheMr.SaturnGuy said on Aug. 14, 2010

Aloysius Minch because he raised Porky to be evil. If it makes no sense to you, play Earthbound and Mother 3!

Youjo said on Dec. 2, 2010

I had to vote for the Doc.

He forgot about his son then put him into inventions that could have EASILY killed him. He’s a needle to the heart that he recognizes Ness, and thinks nothing of his own son. He doesn’t even WANT to know him, as implied from the “Let’s meet up again in a few years.”

Pokey’s dad is abusive, but he cared something about his kids to beat them in the first place AFTER THEY LEFT THE HOUSE WITHOUT PERMISSION!

I don’t know much about the other chars in M3, so I don’t know Wess.

Ness and Ninten’s dad aren’t around, but in comparison with being abusive or absent I’ll take absent.

I’m surprised Flint isn’t on here. He abandoned Lucas. I understand why he would want to find Claus’ body, but it’s like he ignored that he still had Lucas to take care of. They say a parent always has a favorite, but that’s too heart-wrenching for Lucas. He’s so sweet and these bad things happen to him!

thomas1up said on Dec. 3, 2010

Andonuts
first he will cut his sons head off and put his brain in a robot , second he sent his son to a bording school , his son someitmes due to this acidently doesn’t call him DAD.

thomas1up said on Dec. 3, 2010

Wess was strict but a nice father as Duster says in a unused dialouge and Pokeys dad gives disiplince

starwars890 said on May. 15, 2011

Aloysious or whatever. You know, in MOTHER 2 (the japanese version of EarthBound), when he went upstairs with Pokey and Picky, instead of just one *BESHINK!* it was like *TA-DA-TO-TO-TA-TA!!” So he is POTENTIALLY abusive, especially in MOTHER 2.

RadicOmega said on Sep. 25, 2011

@starwars890 I actually thought that Porky’s dad shot him with a gun.

Nyx said on May. 27, 2012

No Loid’s dad? Because he definitely gets my vote.