June 10th, 2009 | EarthBound, MOTHER 3, Videos

Remember this video promo for EarthBound that played in stores?

If you don’t remember, then check this out, it has more details and more of EarthBound’s lame advertising.

Anyway, TableNumberSeven just posted a video of what a MOTHER 3 promo video would’ve been like had one been done like the EarthBound video. Check it out, it’s awesome 😀

Very cool work!

31 Comments to MOTHER 3 Promo Video Parody

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Jun. 10, 2009

Excellent! Great work.

Rockin'Ness said on Jun. 10, 2009

Really? LucasA. That’s just great. That video was so bad it was good! Great work!

Omnitarian said on Jun. 10, 2009

Brilliant, straight down to the naming of LucasA. I knew the Earthbound promo video was crummy but it wasn’t until now that I realized you couldn’t make a more boring-looking showcase of EB if you tried.

EarthBoundRules said on Jun. 10, 2009

Just like in the EarthBound video where it showed an automatic win instead of a real battle, the Mother 3 video had Lucas run through the enemies. Awesome!

Matt said on Jun. 10, 2009

Lol… nice twist ending… 😀

Supakitsune said on Jun. 10, 2009

This was completely spot-on. I love it!

An Idiot said on Jun. 10, 2009

He forgot to have all the footage come from the first 5 minutes of the game, though…. (Also, holy crap I’m old, I actually remember seeing a kiosk at the local Target with previews of SNES games that were coming out at the time. Sort of like one of those arcade cabinets with 10 different NES games that they used to have, only this one was made by Satan to maddeningly torment you with previews of games that not only couldn’t be played, but that made them look terrible. Also a bizarre preoccupation with citing numbers of levels that are both inconsistent with the game design (Earthbound isn’t, in any real sense, divided into separate sections with a sanctuary in each one) and inaccurate (why are there 8 levels when there’s stuff after the Fire Spring?) I think there was a preview for Secret of Mana that said it had 8 levels, too.)

Piggy Guy said on Jun. 10, 2009

Haha. It’s a great video, but, ah, what on earth is the nararator saying is the “final test”? “The Powerful Bat-sheep”? “The Powerful Banshee”? “A Powerful Tacsheet”? (in the Mother 3 one, I mean.)

Deiphobus said on Jun. 10, 2009

brilliant!

Ice Sage said on Jun. 10, 2009

This made my day 😀

santiagoff said on Jun. 10, 2009

This is epic!

Aerostella said on Jun. 10, 2009

I love the beginning when LucasA and company are just walking around in circles in the hot spring.

TableNumberSeven said on Jun. 10, 2009

Thanks, Hehe… I’m glad you guys enjoyed it.

@An Idiot: I wanted to do that, but I needed a cutscene of a certain length that was fundamentally useless at hinting any story (I used the frog scene), and any scenes within the beginning were too informative to work. So I figured having most the clips take place in the same area was reasonable enough.

Yeah, I also do remember using those kiosks in the video game sections of Target and Toys R Us. The ones I knew were poorly maintained that the other (console) monitor would endlessly have Donkey Kong Country without a controller, and they’d never replace the game. You’d have to slam on the buttons for them to work, too.

By the way, the folks who made the original video lifted much of their dialogue from the back of the game’s box: http://i41.tinypic.com/2w4wbxt.jpg . Reinforces what was already wrong with the video.

@Piggy: It’s ‘faction’, and I should’ve said it clearer… while messing with the dialogue, I tried replace words with vague yet relevant ones that had the same or near amount of syllables, which explains interstellar/maniacal, Giygas/faction. I wanted to avoid spoilers by not mentioning Porky… and jeez, and now that you mention it, I should’ve said ‘bat-sheep’.

captain_falcon said on Jun. 11, 2009

Ya know… direct links to youtube vids would be nice for people using Wii browser, but, no big deal.

Mato said on Jun. 11, 2009

Wii users aren’t even 1% of the visitors to the site though. I can’t accomodate everyone. I can maybe throw together a plugin that’ll make it show the videos normally and just the links for Wii people, but it’d be pretty low priority on my huge list of stuff I gotta work on.

TBird said on Jun. 11, 2009

Awesome video. It makes me wonder if anyone avoided EarthBound because of it.

“What, you just win!? Screw that! I’m getting Judge Dredd.”

Poe said on Jun. 11, 2009

fffffffffffff judge dredd nooooo!!! aaahhhhh

Kirby Phelps (PK) said on Jun. 11, 2009

YES LucasA! Hahaha!!

Paul said on Jun. 14, 2009

Haha, brilliant.

motherfan said on Jun. 15, 2009

He named him LucasA! Nice.

Chimera said on Jun. 15, 2009

————-
| /\ /\ | Excellent work young ones
| | |
| |
|___________|

Chimera said on Jun. 15, 2009

That was supposed to be a guru face

Hunter said on Jun. 16, 2009

I’ve not seen that MOTHER 2 ad before, since I wasn’t born in 1985. PsiPaula4 made a Youtube Poop off it.

Claus said on Jun. 18, 2009

MOTHER 3 won’t be as good if NoA relesed it here.

Anonymus Mother 3 Fan said on Jun. 20, 2009

true dat o-o

Blarg said on Sep. 27, 2009

That was the best commercial parody of a video game I’ve ever seen. Ok, so that’s a tiny category, but this is still hilarious.

I suppose that, back in the ’90s, no one could wrap their heads around the idea of making promotional videos for games INTERESTING (of course, I direct this to the real Earthbound video, not the parody).

Warren G. Harding said on Oct. 13, 2009

OH MY GOD YOU COULD KILL ENEMIES BY DASHING INTO THEM

HOW DIDNT I FIGURE THAT OUT

OH GOD DAMN

TheJeffster23 said on Jul. 15, 2010

i love how it used mainly footage from the beggining of chapter 4 where nothing happens, just like eathbound’s ad!
Oh yeah, LucasA

Zoom! said on Aug. 8, 2011

Make that 2% of Wii users.

Nyx said on May. 30, 2012

Wait, anyone else’s video of EarthBound’s promo not working? Or is it only me?

Piksel said on May. 30, 2012