Random Post:

EarthBound Nails

June 15th, 2009 | EarthBound, Rumors

A few weeks ago, we finally got confirmation that that EarthBound lookalike game for Level 5’s ROID game service was actually a version of “The Another World”. If you don’t remember or don’t know what I’m talking about, see here.

Anyway, though it’s not EarthBound, its graphical style is clearly based off of EarthBound / MOTHER 3, so I though I’d show people some of the latest screenshots of the game:

In the past, I’ve heard people say that they’d like a version of EarthBound with upgraded graphics. And then there are usually people who respond to that by saying that EarthBound with upgraded graphics wouldn’t work. At least now we can kind of see what an upgraded EarthBound might look like. I’d still prefer the simple graphics myself, it adds a lot to the feel of the game, at least in my opinion.

Thanks to Phones for the tip and the pic!

29 Comments to More EarthBound-Lookalike Screens

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on Jun. 15, 2009

That looks quite awesome. Maybe Nintendo could try a new MOTHER game? Still, it may not have the charm Itoi originally added to the series.

santiagoff said on Jun. 15, 2009

It looks incredibly o_o
I really hope this gets and english release. Or heck , I hope this makes Itoi realize another video game might be a good idea! ^^

Digitalized said on Jun. 15, 2009

Yeah, I agree.

Faux said on Jun. 15, 2009

Phones? I used his wall staple art as my spray in TF2 for a while.

J said on Jun. 15, 2009

I prefer the bright colors/simplicity used in the Mother games. The ROID website is more similar (palette and style wise)

I also remember seeing a screenshot of what was being touted as a Professor Layton RPG which had the Mother graphics style, also coming out on ROID.

Briianz said on Jun. 15, 2009

If this comes out for the US, im gonna get it.

Claus said on Jun. 15, 2009

I don’t know about all of you, but I’m kind of pissed that this has nothing to do with EarthBound at all, and yet they use the same kind of graphics.

Rockin'Ness said on Jun. 15, 2009

I WANT THIS SO BAD!!!! Also, @J: I was gonna make a game like that! It was going to be like Proffesser Layton, except in Mother 3 style, and it wouldn’t actually be Proffesser Layton. Also, many of the puzzles/mysteries would be text solved, many as in 1/4. Oh well. I really hope Roid gets a North American release, otherwise we’re gonna need some emulators and Mato’s help.

Chrissii said on Jun. 15, 2009

Well if I’m not terribly mistaken, I thought the original MOTHER 2 sprite style was the design of a particular designer-person… so isn’t it possible that Level 5 hired that same guy? I could be terribly wrong but I thought I remember hearing such (that the sprites were designed by mainly one guy).

PKNuMan said on Jun. 15, 2009

Can you translate what is written? I’m super curious.

PSInesslove93 said on Jun. 15, 2009

i would prefer the MOTHER series to stay the way it is. i feel that if it were updated it wouldn’t have the same feeling as the other games did :l

Xi said on Jun. 15, 2009

Looks more like the DS Pokemon games than the Mother franchise, tbh.

Kurisuellegarden said on Jun. 15, 2009

I wouldn’t care what style they used for another Mother game. Whatever the director chooses to do, I’m sure he will execute well.

Zaxtur said on Jun. 15, 2009

I can’t read Japanese, but I do see the letters “DS” in the scan. Does it say that there is a DS game, and if so are these screens from the DS game? Judging by the aspect ratio, I’d say these screens are probably from the cell phone game.

FamicomDiskun said on Jun. 15, 2009

Hey Nintendo if you just happen to be reading this you wanna know a great way to make money well you know this game will sell well so why not make a Mother compilation, remake, or just a new Mother game to rival it.

sammy said on Jun. 15, 2009

I really want to play this, I love Level 5.

J said on Jun. 15, 2009

@Zaxtur: Yes, there is a DS “The Another World”. These screens are just from the ROID game, for cellphones. The DS “The Another World” has a different look graphics wise.

gwalms said on Jun. 15, 2009

Yes Chrissi, I do believe the sprite style was done by a particular designer guy. Not so coincidentally Xi, I think he went on to help with the Pokemon games.

Bowser said on Jun. 16, 2009

The design reminds me more of MOTHER 3 than Earthbound.

Flint said on Jun. 16, 2009

Well, now its starting to look to detailed to be Earthbound style (always considered simplicity a bit part of EB/MOTHER) Mostre likely to be related to Ghibli style to.
I hope the DS version of this game comes to the states…

jenge24 said on Jun. 16, 2009

I for one am getting pretty excited for this game. Studio Ghibli, Level 5, and Mother-esque graphics! According to Wikipedia it’s already confirmed for a UK release so at least it can be imported from there in English if there’s no US release. It is Wikipedia though so there’s a pretty good chance that info is incorrect.

Blood Donor said on Jun. 17, 2009

i not that excited..the interiors look victorian or something.. not modern

make more modern rpg, WORLD!

Blarg said on Jun. 17, 2009

To Blood Donor: technically speaking, Victorian style is still more modern than the typical Medieval-esque theme the vast majority of RPGs tend to employ. Even though the ’80s and ’90s theme is rather modern, it isn’t recent anymore (not like that actually matters). And Mother 3 only appears semi-modern, mostly due to Porky’s influence. I’d say there’s as much modern-ness in this game visually as there was in most of the M/EB series.

I’m basically saying that this graphical “Mother Updated” style is awesome and I’m looking forward to this game, EB or not.

Adam said on Jun. 19, 2009

I’m so happy to hear about this game!

It seems more like a spirtual successor to Earthbound than a sequel. Which we will -never- have, ever, at all, in all of existence….

But I’m OK with a spiritual successor.

Adam said on Jun. 19, 2009

If not spiritual, at least graphical…

Adam said on Jun. 19, 2009

OH wait…this is only the cellphone version? I’m kind of disappointed now. I hope it somehow gets ported or ripped so I can download it.

Vivi said on Aug. 9, 2009

Yo isent the same game goin to the D.S but in 3d graphics? The DS one looks nothin like this version so i dont think it has anything to do with Mother…

zen said on Jun. 13, 2013