MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10

June 10th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Millhouse sent in this little EarthBound glitch that I don’t think anyone knew about. It’s kind of neat, not especially useful, but it’s a 14 year old game, so we’re starting to scrape the bottom of the tricks and glitches barrel 😛

Anyway, basically, if you teleport while someone in your party is diamondized but then run into something, for a split second it’ll look like everyone in your party is diamondized. I made a video of it here:

And in case that went too fast, here’s a pic of what happens:

Next time you’re diamondized, give it a try!

16 Comments to Let’s Get Diamondized!

tmarsh said on Jun. 10, 2009

It’s amazing that new tricks and glitches can even still be found. Unfortunately, this is such a complex game that it will probably never be fully understood by us fans.

resetsurvivor said on Jun. 10, 2009

I wonder if it works with other status problems.. possession, mushrooms, etc.

Xi said on Jun. 10, 2009

Whenever Jeff got diamondized I always wished I could sell him.

With the money you could make off of a diamond that is exponentially larger than the world’s current largest diamond (about the size of a grapefruit), the world could be bought ten times over!

The healer wants to pay $50 for a mushroom?! Think of how much he would pay for that!

Not Giygas said on Jun. 10, 2009

Hmmm… Diamondized Party Members + Diamond buyer = Money. Money + A team of elite agents = A party that can kick butt.

santiagoff said on Jun. 10, 2009

Cool glitch!
BTW , You made a video “of” it here , not “if” it Mato XD

gBev said on Jun. 10, 2009

Haha, looks like this game is starting to run out of secrets after all this time.

I’m still waiting for more on the secrets of Mother 3, mainly the unused content. Especially some unused strings of text you mentioned in the Translation blog.

zedrein said on Jun. 10, 2009

I am still waiting for someone to find a secret room, ala Chris Houlihan room, in EarthBound. It could be Itoi saying something like:

“Welcome to my demented room, enjoy this rape scene that inspired Giygas”

There could be multi-colored Mr. Saturns and everything.

Deiphobus said on Jun. 10, 2009

@zedrein

you get to go to it during gameplay. it’s called “moonside” you just don’t see all of it xD.

The Great Morgil said on Jun. 10, 2009

Man, that’s a really quick blink-and-you-miss-it type thing. That guy that reported it must have a good eye to catch it.

pooppoop said on Jun. 10, 2009

does diamondization ever hit teddy bears?
cause, you know, diamond teddy bear

Millhouse said on Jun. 11, 2009

Featured? Nice.
@The Great Morgil:
I don’t have that good eye, I just noticed it when playing on an iPhone, on a _very_ early version of the SNES emulator, so it was reeeeaaaalllyyyy slow.
If you’ve seen it once in slow-motion, you’re always gonna notice it.

I wonder why it happens, though. one thing is sure, the game iterates through each character and changes his sprite to the burnt one (for(int i = 0…) loop)
But why does it change _all_ of the sprites to the diamondized one?
When the game tries to restore the sprites, it only gets the diamondization sprite, but is that because of the data organization of the partymember object, or is it because both the burnt and the diamondized sprite are sprites that are the same for every party member.
So, does it _restore_ the sprites to diamond, or does it _fall back_ on diamond because it doesn’t find all the sprites fast enough to display ’em right the next frame?
Ah, if only everything were open source

@pooppoop:
diamondization can’t hit teddy bears. Who’d have a free, undestructible ragdoll for your enemies to dig their claws in, and the developers wouldn’t allow you to have such a useful item.

Mato said on Jun. 11, 2009

People probably didn’t notice this either, since it happens for like 1 frame each, but right before it shows all the people diamondized, it also shows them like this:

Millhouse said on Jun. 12, 2009

WTF? seriously, what’s that game doing to the sprites?
Poo’s the one who’s diamondized, and the game first makes them all burnt, which is what’s supposed to happen, I guess (is the temperature of teleport higher than the burning point of diamond? let’s just assume ALL characters are supposed to change to burnt/”all black and covered in soot”). then it Changes Jeff to diamondized, then it changes them all but Ness, and then they’re all diamondized, before finally getting it right?

The way the diamondization “spreads”, one could guess that the game first makes everybody burnt.

My best guess is this:
it iterates through the party backwards when it tries to restore the sprite, from poo to Ness, and there a programmer(s) made an error of +-1:
One (probably) assumed the party array started at member 0, but it started at member 1, so he checked the status of member X, and then, according to this (if the status is Doamondized), restored the status _and_ sprite of member X-1. if you go through the party like that, goes like this (with the party from the video):

member 4 gets status and sprite restored from member 5
member 3 gets status and sprite restored from member 4
member 2 gets status and sprite restored from member 3
member 1 gets status and sprite restored from member 2

because there’s no member 5, you get invalid data, and the chances of this random data being that of a diamondized party member are a gajillion to one. The Diamond then spreads through the party. Why does it manage to restore the sprites? I don’t know, safety measure code? On the other hand, why does Poos sprite already restore after step 2?

Hunter said on Jun. 13, 2009

I have eagle eyes due to Vitamin A, and I saw the entire party diamondized!

Joshua Johnson said on Jul. 21, 2009

It also works if one of your party members is dead

RadicOmega said on Oct. 19, 2011