June 23rd, 2009 | EarthBound, MOTHER 3

Sometimes I joke around about how we should start a school that teaches EarthBound stuff. Obviously that’d be lame, but today Jvct pointed out to me a school in Japan that has a website that has a very strong EarthBound/MOTHER 3 feel to it: Tokyo Zokei University

The school teaches things like graphic design, art, sculpting, photography, and stuff like that. Also:

29 Comments to EarthBound University

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Jun. 23, 2009

What kind of career could you get with a degree there? Something tells me EBU isn’t pushing out many doctors and lawyers.

Poe said on Jun. 23, 2009

Haha, that site is very cool.

Chimera said on Jun. 23, 2009

You can also learn how to be terrible fathers, to work at a preschool, joining the local ruffians, and how to work at a pizza shop that lies about the medium size. Not to mention how to tell the difference between an evil face and a fetus.

Simon Roberts said on Jun. 23, 2009

Man, the heck with graduating from EBU, I’d be a professor there.

T Marsh said on Jun. 23, 2009

Maybe I’m just a nerd… But the music on that site makes me think of PokΓ©mon. I wish I could read Japanese.

hackeesackr said on Jun. 23, 2009

Someone is subscribed to Kotaku. :3

But really, those ground tiles look like they’re straight ripped from Mother 3. The sprites, not so much though.

BLiTZIHGUH said on Jun. 23, 2009

This place is awesome πŸ˜€

The only thing that could make it better is if the music played in the backround while you were on campus.

Earthbound_X said on Jun. 23, 2009

Wow, that’s one of the coolest websites I’ve seen in a while.

Ice Sage said on Jun. 23, 2009

…um…I don’t really know what to say.

It’s interesting, but I have to agree with IWGOTD.

Xi said on Jun. 23, 2009

@hackessackr

It’s usually the other way around.

Mato gives info sites such as 1up and/or joystiq, who then post the information.

Kotaku is really just a crawling blog that gathers information from the main gaming/otaku-related websites and posts them in a condensed format. You’ll notice that the links at the end of each Kotaku article are usually links to the same 10 or so websites.

rayefrenzy said on Jun. 23, 2009

Yeah, the main theme definitely screams “POKEMON” to me. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

J said on Jun. 23, 2009

I heard the college is so expensive students are eating hamburgers out of trashcans.

Not Giygas said on Jun. 23, 2009

Sign me up!

Xi said on Jun. 23, 2009

The whole point of Earthbound/Mother 3 was to deliver a compelling story with simple graphics. The “style” of the graphics are too simple to be assigned to a specific game. The characters look like smiley faces with legs, and the surrounding land and buildings (especially the sign) look like they were maid in MS Paint.

This isn’t the first time a website has claimed that a game or artwork has “Earthbound” graphics. Since the main reason Earthbound was panned was BECAUSE of its simple graphics, I’ve always considered this a bit of an insult.

I think many Mother fans are still in denial about the Mother series finally ending, so any game/graphic that looks halfway similar to Earthbound or Mother 3 is greeted with excitement and/or anticipation without knowing what it is about.

It is no wonder that the eBayers are jacking up prices trying to take advantage of Mother fans. By all appearances, we *are* a rather excitable bunch. =)

Xi said on Jun. 23, 2009

*The “syle” of the graphics **of this picture** are too simple to be assigned to a specific game.

Need edit button! =)

Claus said on Jun. 23, 2009

The land looked the most EarthBoundy to me.

Mato said on Jun. 23, 2009

Xi: I think you’re taking this too seriously. We have nothing else to really talk about now, that’s all. Do things like this excite people? I doubt it, it’s just neat to mention and then move along.

Also, given that the site is MEANT to resemble an old-school RPG, I think the comparison is fair enough, even if it isn’t ultra-accurate.

EDIT: Also, this won’t be as obvious if you don’t know Japanese, but some of the things people say when you click on them is pretty funny.

Hectopascal said on Jun. 23, 2009

Xi, I don’t really want to say this, but I HAVE to say that what you posted barely makes sense whatsoever. It’s not about our dissapointment from the series being over, or how the graphics of the site are “amateur”, as you say, but how the style of the site kind of looks like that of Earthbound. Seriously. That’s it. Don’t overspeculate.

Hectopascal said on Jun. 23, 2009

Whoops, mato ninja’d me.

santiagoff said on Jun. 23, 2009

@Mato: yeah, that one statue is saying a touhou meme! (“Yukkurishiteitte ne?” , which was popularly translated as “Take it Easy!”)

SmaMan said on Jun. 23, 2009

Now that site would make me consider that university… if I could read/understand Japanese enough to take those courses! lol

About the music, it actually kind of reminded me of Peasant’s Quest from Homestar Runner. Especially the baseline… compare here:

Chrissii said on Jun. 23, 2009

@Xi, no offense man, but… Even despite the simplicity of EB/M3’s graphics, most of them are still very distinctly a part of the series visually by style alone. Saying all old games look generic and all look like eachother is not only incorrect, but a bit ignorant to the artists of the time :\ Everyone has their own style. Surely you don’t claim that there’s no difference between, say, the graphics in Final Fantasy IV (the original) and Zelda: Link to the Past?

Anyway … Cute site πŸ˜€ Yeah, I saw this when I was on Kotaku this morning, didn’t really read it but scrolling by I thought “huh, the way that dirt/grass looks on the edges looks similar to Earthbound’s!” Neat to know I’m not the only one who thought so.

Xi said on Jun. 24, 2009

@Hectopascal

I never used the word “amateur”, so please don’t specifically quote me as saying that word. It’s not nice. =)

@Chrissii

I never said all old games look generic and all look like each other. As a matter of fact, I don’t remember making any claims about old games. I don’t claim that there is no difference between FFIV and A Link to the Past, nor did I make any comment on artists of the time. Same as above, just because I made a comment that I probably could have worded better that might be disparaging to the Mother community doesn’t mean you need to put words in my mouth. =)

@Mato

I think you’re taking what *I* said too seriously. Surely you don’t think I am insulting the site. I love this site, or else why would I have posted here for so long? =) I was merely pointing out that, with things like Contact!, ROID5’s new game, and even this site, people are getting excited based purely on the graphics saying how great it is, specifically because it reminds me of MOTHER, even while they know nothing about what it is going to be about. Don’t you think that is rather excitable?

Xi said on Jun. 24, 2009

By the way, I love you all, lest you forget. <3

Technical Writing courses, on the other hand, get none of my love. Should I bind my report with vinyl or hard cotton?

Nimbus said on Jun. 25, 2009

Haha, a friend of mine showed this to me the other day and I couldn’t help but think of EarthBound. The trees look especially similar. πŸ˜‰

Dreilide said on Jul. 4, 2009

I believe I found a site through a Link on Itoi’s site. same graphic artist of Mother 3. It was really great. There was even a place to check out CD’s and such. There was a really nice jazz saxophone cover of Scaborough Fair (Simon and Garfunkle) which I was not expecting to hear.

I wish I could remember it lol.

anonymous said on Sep. 6, 2009

I know it would probably take up a lot of time, but I’m just saying it would be cool if someone wrote an explanation of the things it says on this website for those of us who don’t read Japanese. I’m not necessarily asking anyone to, just pointing out that there are some interesting things the majority of us are missing out on, but that would probably take too long.

Clairvoyant traveler said on Nov. 16, 2009

I wouldn’t be suprised if it WAS actually based off earthbound art style

Zoom! said on Aug. 26, 2011