June 20th, 2009 | EarthBound, MOTHER 1, MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge

A bunch of people sent in news about this this week. I had stumbled upon it myself and was planning to add it to the weekly roundup, but because so many people told me about it, it’s probably worth its own update 😀

Anyway, Drew Mackie posted a humongo article about video game characters and their names over here, and he covers lots of EarthBound/MOTHER stuff too.

Incidentally, as a sort of side note to his article, Ness’s name actually comes from the NES, according to a 1992 Famitsu interview with Itoi.

15 Comments to EarthBound Names Ahoy

eb0ebm3 said on Jun. 20, 2009

funny, I always knew Ninten=Nintendo and Ness=NES… but I never knew about Claus and Lucas being an anagram lol.

KingDarian said on Jun. 20, 2009

If there was a MOTHER 4, I bet the main character’s name would be Sid Dentonn. Either that, or Iwi.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Jun. 20, 2009

The MOTHER series has had a lot of naming controversy over it’s history, eh? You got Gyiyg/Giegue/Giygas/Fetus man, you got Pokey/Porky, Loid/Lloyd, who decided he was named Ninten, Claus and Lucas are anagrams, all this naming nonsense.

i also like run-on sentences

PKNuMan said on Jun. 20, 2009

Oh crap, I never got that Lucas and Claus was a anagram…

Ninjas shot my cat :*( said on Jun. 20, 2009

DID YOU KNOW

Giegue is actually supposed to be pronounced “geeg”, like fugue is “fyoog”?

YAOMTC said on Jun. 20, 2009

CLAUS
LCAUS
LCUAS
LUCAS

MIND HAS BEEN BLOWN

Fred McNanner said on Jun. 20, 2009

I’ve been trying to read this article for a week, and I keep getting some “operation aborted” deal whenever I go to that page.
What the hell?

Omnitarian said on Jun. 20, 2009

The guy has some interesting Earthbound entries. I was particular fascinated by this post positing that Moonside was Inspired by Twin Peaks.

NovaMan XP said on Jun. 21, 2009

I… I thought Ness came from SNES and they just put the first “S” at the end… 🙁

santiagoff said on Jun. 21, 2009

Yay my news got posted!:3

Hejiru said on Jun. 21, 2009

I didn’t realize Lucas and Claus were anagram until the end of Mother 3.

Wait, didn’t their names come from some old book?

Ice Sage said on Jun. 21, 2009

KingDarian: “Sid Dentonn” – lol

I always thought that Ness’s name was referencing both the NES and SNES. Oh well.

Claus said on Jun. 21, 2009

I don’t like the Lucas and Claus ones.

SuperUltraFace said on Jun. 22, 2009

I always thought Ness was Snes but with the s sent to the back. . .it was actually NES… MIND BLOWING :O

Mother123 said on Mar. 7, 2010

Strange, I remember Ninten by ‘Nintendo’, and Ness by ‘Snes’. Ninten’s name is pretty simple to spot out, but if you start from the last ‘S’ in Ness’s name, and then go to the front of the name, you get ‘Snes’, seeming it was an Snes game.

Anagrams these days…XD