Weekly Round-Up #54
If you’ve ever used a program to look through the sprite graphics in EarthBound, you probably came across these strange sprites of King, Ness’s dog:
These are clearly King going up and down a ladder or rope or something. But since there are no ropes or ladders in the part of the game where King is part of your party, we never get to see these sprites in action. But you CAN see them if you use codes or hacks or such sorcerery. Here’s a video GreenTL. made, showing it off.
I see two possibilities: 1. Most NPCs that walk around with you needed to have certain sprites programmed anyway, regardless of whether they’ll be used or not. The programmers probably figured it was better to be safe than sorry.
Or 2. King was meant to be playable in other parts of the games, or there were originally ladders or ropes in the beginning part of the game. I don’t remember why, but I vaguely recall this being the case. I’ll have to look over all my old stuff again or something, I think the Onett hillside area might’ve had ropes originally.
Anyway, there you go, another tiny little exploration into the insides of EarthBound!
Other Related Posts:
28 Comments to Dogs and Ladders
Featured Item on eBay:
EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues