Hyper’s MOTHER 3 Review
If you’ve ever used a program to look through the sprite graphics in EarthBound, you probably came across these strange sprites of King, Ness’s dog:
These are clearly King going up and down a ladder or rope or something. But since there are no ropes or ladders in the part of the game where King is part of your party, we never get to see these sprites in action. But you CAN see them if you use codes or hacks or such sorcerery. Here’s a video GreenTL. made, showing it off.
I see two possibilities: 1. Most NPCs that walk around with you needed to have certain sprites programmed anyway, regardless of whether they’ll be used or not. The programmers probably figured it was better to be safe than sorry.
Or 2. King was meant to be playable in other parts of the games, or there were originally ladders or ropes in the beginning part of the game. I don’t remember why, but I vaguely recall this being the case. I’ll have to look over all my old stuff again or something, I think the Onett hillside area might’ve had ropes originally.
Anyway, there you go, another tiny little exploration into the insides of EarthBound!
Other Related Posts:
28 Comments to Dogs and Ladders
- BoaTransistor: I got the Memories cover this year. In my factual opinion, it is the best-looking EarthBound cover they’ve released yet.
- Globulous: I picked up the Memories cover and planner while I was in Japan, it should be interesting to note that the pocket on the back of the...
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!