June 12th, 2009 | EarthBound, Merchandise, Uncommon Knowledge

While browswing through Japanese Google, I came across this. Apparently a Japanese guy visiting Taiwan came across this in a shop.

I’m not sure why there would be a Chinese guide for this game, but maybe it’s to help people get through the game even if they don’t know Japanese or something. I dunno.

Incidentally, that Paula figure is actually a very early version of her clay figure that appeared once or twice in early promotional materials but then they changed her later on. Since we English-speaking folks only ever saw Paula with the extra long neck, this early version of Paula sure looks weird 😛

32 Comments to Chinese EarthBound

Someone Else said on Jun. 12, 2009

That’s interesting. I’m not sure I recognise those screenshots, either. Is that Happy Happy village?

There isn’t a higher resolution of these images, is there?

LucasTizma said on Jun. 12, 2009

Ugh. I want it. Mato, leave us in blissful ignorance of all the obscure, rare MOTHER merch that we can’t have. >.<

Xi said on Jun. 12, 2009

@LucasTizma

I think you need to start thinking of things in terms of pennies.

$70 for this piece of merchandise? Okay…

vs.

7,000 pennies for THIS?! No way!

santiagoff said on Jun. 12, 2009

Interesting.

Mato said on Jun. 12, 2009

Those are the biggest pics I could find. And yeah, that page is from Happy Happy Village. My Chinese is very rusty but I can still understand much of it thanks to knowing Japanese kanji. It looks like they call it Happiness Village or Pleasure Village or something like that.

PKLOVE said on Jun. 12, 2009

Personally I like this Paula clay figure better. I never cared for her figurine, don’t know why…

Saturnome said on Jun. 12, 2009

She sure looks younger.

The condition of video games in China is hard to understand. I’m aware of the NES/Famicom clones, but was the SNES/SF even sold there? Was it released on that iQue thing?

nickwashere said on Jun. 12, 2009

Yeah… they had it in China too. My friend who came from China this year said that they had that game there for years! Also, that he played it. It’s in Chinese also. He says he never owned it, though.

Claus said on Jun. 12, 2009

That still looks like Paula to me.

EarthBoundRules said on Jun. 12, 2009

I like this Paula figure better too. The other one was freaky looking.

PsychicKid said on Jun. 12, 2009

A Chinese version of Mother 2? Could it even hold all of the kanji for the dialog? I don’t know how they could pull it off without it being a huge mess.

KingDarian said on Jun. 12, 2009

Skinny Paula is also found on the back of every MOTHER 2 game box, although from a higher angle.

My guess is that it’s one of the countless bootleg translated games available in China, and this guide was probably made to be sold alongside it.

Shamu said on Jun. 12, 2009

Lolwat,
so maybe this is the ‘chinese version of earthbound’ someone was talking about on youtube.

Mato said on Jun. 12, 2009

Man if there really is a Chinese version I wanna play it very much.

Mato said on Jun. 12, 2009

Hmm, found this. Continuing to search places.

Lampi said on Jun. 12, 2009

地球冒險

Lampi said on Jun. 12, 2009

uhh, my comment was cut off after the kanji! =O it originally said:
地球冒險

Lampi said on Jun. 12, 2009

is this some kind of bug? =\
anyway, I’m trying to say that “Earth Adventure” is a pretty generic-sounding name …

Deiphobus said on Jun. 12, 2009

地球冒險 a;erlgnkael;rkbn

Deiphobus said on Jun. 12, 2009

@lampi

or it could be 妈妈二

EzraSmith said on Jun. 12, 2009

Chinkie Earthbound. Cool.

Supakitsune said on Jun. 12, 2009

China quality–
Oh wait, oops. This is EBC, not Sankaku Complex. >_>;

zedrein said on Jun. 13, 2009

Interesting, so there was no Chinese translation obviously? Is that how most video games work, only a Japanese and English text version?

PSInesslove93 said on Jun. 13, 2009

i prefer this paula figurine… she looks really weird in her other one.

Spitball Sparky said on Jun. 13, 2009

I’m happy to finally see a clear picture of the early Paula. The one I have is blurry…

EzraSmith said on Jun. 13, 2009

And a french one usually.

SmaMan said on Jun. 13, 2009

*sniff sniff*
This reaks of Chinese PIRATE!
Yes there are Chinese pirated Super Famicom games, but not as many as for the NES or Genesis (MegaDrive) because the Super Famicom actually had some better pirate lockout. But hey, pirated cartridges mean that Earthbound is officially cool!

Speaking of which, I wonder if the piracy protection would go into effect on this game. (Y’know, more enemies, freeze and save wipe at the final boss)

Mother said on Jun. 13, 2009

I wonder if there is a mother 3 Chinese guide too.

SmaMan said on Jun. 14, 2009

Most likely. Chinese pirates translate anything on any system! Heck they made a Chinese Chrono Trigger for the Famicom!

And trust me, that’s only the tip of the Chinese piracy ice berg…

Nicky G said on Jun. 19, 2012

我会瘦一点中文!现在我主在江苏中国而我找那个游戏!
I speak a little of Chinese and right now I live in Jiangsu, China. I’m going to take a look around the internet and see if I can find a Chinese copy or anything EB related in Chinese. All I could find on the Chinese equivalent of E-bay are these little guys:

3DKirby said on Aug. 3, 2012

@Nicky G
你好!我来自中国上海!Hi,I come from Shanghai,China!
Well,I never heard of a”Chinese Version”of EarthBound before…About this”Taobao”Webside,I only found a few Japanese version on it…(You can find it by searching”地球冒险2″or”Mother2″)
But I think maybe there is a”Chinese Version”of EarthBound in Taiwan because they have made a lot of unoffical Chinese TranslationXD
And for the Chinese name of “Mother2″(or EarthBound),we call it “地球冒险”or”老娘”or any word you can call your mother in Chinese!Or just call it Mother2 or EarthBound…

Mato said on Aug. 4, 2012