Takara Tomy Mother 2 Gyiyg no Gyakushuu Phone Strap Figure Jeff

June 24th, 2009 | EarthBound, Interviews, Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge

Remember this big Shigesato Itoi interview about MOTHER 2? Well, Chewy burned some more midnight oil to translate an equally as big and fascinating interview that took place two years later, right after MOTHER 2 was finally released in Japan in 1994.

(click to see translated interview)

Some of the things that Itoi talks about are:

• Why MOTHER 2/EarthBound was nearly canceled
  • The game was originally supposed to be 8Mb in size, but wound up 300% that in the end
  • Itoi considered having different planets you travel to
  • Kids harrassing him about how MOTHER 2 was taking too long
  • The rolling HP meter was originally something else entirely
  • And much more stuff!

You can find the translated interview here. If you’re an EarthBound fan, you’re bound by law to read it. This also makes three huge Itoi interviews she’s translated – she’s a machine 8O

20 Comments to Another Big Itoi Interview Translated

Vivi said on Jun. 24, 2009

Well,This was a very interesting interview,First one I’ve actually read all the way through in a long time.hehe.

Wil said on Jun. 24, 2009

Good thing they didn’t go with that pachinko thing.
M2 would have never made it to the states.

Cool interview.

KingDarian said on Jun. 24, 2009

Itoi was into bringing casual gamers back into the scene long before the Wii. He should be running Nintendo. :P

Chewy is so awesome!

Vivi12000 said on Jun. 24, 2009

@Wil As true as that is,It would of been a cool concept to of seen.

questionsleep said on Jun. 24, 2009

It’s still heartrending to know that Mother 3 had existed, in Itoi’s head, back in Mother 2 days, but we only got it until recently.
It makes me wonder if Mother 4 would have happened, if Itoi wasn’t so exhausted from the long long production of 3.

Article read, digested, and remembered =] Thank you!

Extra note: It’s funny – EarthBound is the first RPG (or game, even! – other than Pokémon) that I’ve ever finished. Maybe I’m a little like Miyamoto.
=]

santiagoff said on Jun. 24, 2009

I’m impressed this was the first RPG Miyamoto completed.

Saturnome said on Jun. 24, 2009

Video Relaxant! Trippy.

Fascinating interview, many thanks for the traduction. Seems like Itoi and I use the same kind of names for characters!

Fredrik said on Jun. 24, 2009

“He was saying how it’s the first RPG he’s ever beaten.”

Hah, that’s awesome. : D

SamWibatt said on Jun. 24, 2009

Very cool – big thanks to Chewy!

Aqy said on Jun. 24, 2009

More interesting tidbits! Thanks Chewy. Four years for the graphics, daaaamn.

EmeraldWind said on Jun. 25, 2009

Gamers are too impatient when it comes to games…

Most gamers want quality games, but they can’t simply wait for it…

I always thought that this was a new trend in gamers… but it looks like it even existed as far back as Earthbound…

muchocolmillo said on Jun. 25, 2009

It was very interesting, but the most important thing: he managed to impress Miyamoto.
Thanks Chewy, keep doing such a great job!

YAOMTC said on Jun. 25, 2009

@ EmeraldWind

Sometimes, though, development time is a legitimate complaint:

Duke Nukem Forever.

Chewy said on Jun. 26, 2009

Thanks :)

Shamu said on Jun. 26, 2009

speaking of MOTHER stuff in magazines, I have this magazine that has a tiny, tiny article about MOTHER3. should I scan and post it?

Mato said on Jun. 26, 2009

Yeah, but what magazine is it? Is it new or something that’s been out for a while?

Shamu said on Jun. 26, 2009

it’s 3 years ago, and it’s on the “3rd grade” japanese magazine.

Shamu said on Jun. 26, 2009

oh and the problem is that I don’t have a scanner,so if I’m going to post it, it’s going to look terrible because of my DSi camera.

Someone Else said on Jun. 27, 2009

Space travel? If that happened, Ness wouldn’t have been earthbound.

Claus said on Jul. 7, 2009

Glad M2 didn’t end up being cancelled. Just imagine it, a world without EB…

(Ahhhh!!! Too scary, too scary!!)