May 31st, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

Whoa, it’s week #20! This site be gettin’ old! Its velocity is one week per week!

This past week was pretty cool I thought, lots of neat EarthBound things. I’m not sure on the details, but I think sometime in June or July the annual EarthBound Funktastic Game Play thing is gonna take place. Last year’s was awesome, and this year’s sounds like it might be even better.

Anyway, that random announcement aside, let’s see what’s happened this past week 😀

Site News

• Been working on the MOTHER 1+2 translation some more. Jeff helped by updating the text editor a bit, and I’ve slowly been working through item descriptions, enemies descriptions, and some misc. text. I’ll make another update about the project at some point.
  • June is almost here, and that means new automatic monthly site theme! I’m not very fond of the current Saturn Valley theme, so that’ll be a nice change of pace 🙂

EarthBound News

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

This past week was a bit mellower in terms of stuff on eBay, but here’s some of the cool latest stuff that’s shown up. Maybe something might catch your eye 😛

Also, you can check to see what EarthBound/MOTHER stuff is currently on eBay at any time here!

And here’s some stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan, it was a slow week here too, though:

Community News

I’ve translated so much that I’m now in the negative world, so I can’t keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

What’s Up With Itoi

• This week, Itoi talked about how he’s actually very lazy, and how he’s striving to be even lazier. He’s obviously not lazy, but I guess he just gets the feeling that he is. I get that feeling all the time myself, but when I look back I see I was actually crazy busy. Anybody else experienced that? I bet this is a common thing actually.
  • He also talked about friends. I won’t go into as much detail as he did, but he seemed curious at the way friends are made, and how friends differ from other relationships, like that of a lover. He was curious about the process, and how it differs for people.
  • He also talked about how his dog Bouillon is a great dog except for the fact that it watches TV. Like, REALLY watches TV. It especially likes documentaries and news, but it watches and listens to pretty much any show at all. Everyone Itoi knows thinks that’s amazing, but Itoi just assumed that all dogs do that. But apparently not, not even Bouillon’s parents pay any attention to TV, so it’s not a matter of breed. Anyway, Bouillon’s instincts are that of a hunting dog, so whenever there’s an animal on the screen, barking ensues, and that’s a huge annoyance more than anything to Itoi. I was kind of surprised with Itoi’s tone in this particular update, it was more negative than anything else I’ve seen him write there. Basically, he thinks Bouillion is a great dog, except for that one single problem.

Upcoming Stuff

What’s in store this next week? I don’t have much planned ahead right now, but what I do have planned is stuff I like a lot. I also have some goofy updates in store, and since these weekly polls are doing well, I’ll have another one later today probably. I really should sit down and plan these things out better, but I’m so lazy busy 😛

End

You know what’d be cool to do? Drink with one of those ghosts in MOTHER 3. I’m not much of a wine guy, but some other nice booze would be nice.

19 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #20

James said on May. 31, 2009

I’d feel pretty self-conscious if I was drinking with the ghosts. Like, if I can’t hold my liquor, what are they going to think about all corporeal beings from then on? I’d feel so conspicuous, I’m not sure I could enjoy myself. Now, if I were a ghost too, things would be different. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about alcohol poisoning, or the freshness of eclairs.

StarFoxA said on May. 31, 2009

This week was pretty good. I finish EarthBound Zero for the first time. Without the easytype patch, it is dull, but with it I actually enjoyed the game.

EzraSmith said on May. 31, 2009

It’s cool thinking that such a small series has enough material to update a site everyday.

Digitalized said on May. 31, 2009

Yeah, Mato must be searching the Net for the latest EB stuff alot.

Pigmask Private said on May. 31, 2009

He has a team of trained, Google-Proficient monkeys. They do nothing all day except look for MOTHER articles on Google and eat bananas. Well… on the rare occasion that Tomato even gives them bananas…

EzraSmith said on May. 31, 2009

Amd apparently, according to an April 2009 issue of Nintendo Power, a remake of EarthBound is planned for the Wii.

rawpower said on May. 31, 2009

Hey guys, biggest bombshell of E3: Mother trilogy on DS.

santiagoff said on May. 31, 2009

I’m still waiting for mah Itoi article >_>
<__<

(I’ll keep bothering you with that lol)

Edracon said on May. 31, 2009

@EzraSmith
I have the April 2009 issue, nowhere does it mention a remake of Earthbound, or it coming to the Wii.

P.S. I believe that Giygas is secretly female.

Marmaduke said on May. 31, 2009

Seeing the auctions makes me so happy I grabbed Mother 1+2 and 3 during that huge Play Asia sale. But still, if I didn’t have them now, $75 for both seems pretty darn reasonable.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 31, 2009

“This week, Itoi talked about how he’s actually very lazy, and how he’s striving to be even lazier.”

Now there’s a goal we can ALL work towards!

KingMike said on May. 31, 2009

ONLY $39.99 for a Mother 3 cart?
Has the price on this game risen sharply since I last checked? 😛
I forget what I payed, but it couldn’t have been more than $30-something + shipping complete.

Mato said on May. 31, 2009

Yep, they generally go for $65+ nowadays complete.

Leirin said on May. 31, 2009

Put ‘er there, IWGOTD 😛

IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 31, 2009

*puts ‘er there*

sg_06 said on May. 31, 2009

I think the lazy feeling comes from focusing on what you haven’t done yet, as opposed to focusing on the pile of accomplishments already behind you.
i.e., “I may have completely translated Mother 3 and won the Nobel prize of game translation, but I still haven’t fixed those few pixels at the start screen. I’m so lazy.” 😉

Digitalized said on May. 31, 2009

~Quote~
IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 31, 2009

Now there’s a goal we can ALL work towards!

Oh yeah, now I’m really expecting MOTHER DS trilogy and EarthBound for Wii.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 31, 2009

…You shouldn’t really be expecting those things anyway.

Digitalized said on May. 31, 2009

Yeah, it’s just someone mentioned them, so I decided to not get their hopes up in a comical sort of way.