May 24th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

A bunch of interesting EarthBound stuff this past week, hurray!

I wonder if Itoi ever imagined that there’d be such a crazy MOTHER series following outside of Japan. It’s interesting how it has such a strong community outside of Japan, and we only got ONE of the games! The way that games create fans, but fans keep games alive is an interesting phenomenon indeed.

Anyway, that stuff aside, let’s have a look at what’s happened this past week πŸ˜€

Site News

EarthBound News

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

Some cool new stuff showed up on eBay and elsewhere this week. The number of items up for auction rose back to high levels again this past week, too. So here’s some of the cool stuff to check out πŸ˜€

As always, you can check to see what EarthBound/MOTHER stuff is currently on eBay at any time here!

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

Community News

Remember, if you’ve done something cool EarthBound-related or if you know of something cool that’s EarthBound-related that belongs here, let me know!

What’s Up With Itoi

• Itoi mentioned this week that he thinks newborn babies are ugly, and he’ll honestly say that to people, not meaning to hurt their feelings or anything, it’s just the truth. But just a little while after, after they’ve grown, they seem much cuter to him and he’ll say that too. This entry of his was kind of funny and interesting, I might translate it someday.
  • This week, Itoi’s company got the world record for longest audio book – 115 hours and 43 minutes. Basically, there’s this old, wise guy that Itoi’s really fond of, and over the course of many years, they recorded tapes and tapes of the guy just talking about life and everything else. Itoi really looks up to the guy and is always talking about him on his site. Anyway, they were all recently put into audiobook form. Still, 115 hours… geez.

Upcoming Stuff

This week, expect some cool MOTHER tricks/glitches, a video someone beating MOTHER 1 in like 40 minutes, some music stuff, and possibly a better design for my MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound stuff that will look a little more like the old design. And then the usual daily stuff of course. We’re also getting close to the day the ROID service starts in Japan, so we might learn more about that EarthBound-lookalike game!

End

Whew. Finally managed to get that MOTHER 1 first draft done. Too bad I don’t have the energy from that MOTHER 3 project anymore, or the MOTHER 1 patch would’ve been out long ago. I blame age and the fact that MOTHER 3 sapped away my energy. In some ways, the translation for MOTHER 1 is harder than MOTHER 3, too, which I found interesting. How I wish a VWF were possible for MOTHER 1.

Anyway, thus ends the 19th week of EarthBound Central!

12 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #19

rayefrenzy said on May. 24, 2009

I think the reason you dont have the pizazz for the mother1+2 as opposed to mother3 is we’re not DYING for a translation. A lot of us have played Earthbound Zero, so I wouldn’t think my life to be completely over if this takes a while, y’know?

My idea anyway.

honeymustard said on May. 24, 2009

I bought the Deluxe Box – $150 was a steal. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! πŸ™‚

Digitalized said on May. 24, 2009

This week wasn’t too heartbreaking, or too exciting, or “How much is he selling that for?!”, but it was kind of relaxed.

And honeymustard, congratulations on the Deluxe Box!

worlds_most_solitary_tree said on May. 24, 2009

babies ARE ugly

Poe said on May. 24, 2009

Yeah newborns look like aliens. I saw my cousin minutes after he was born, his eyes were bugging out even though they were closed and he still had a cone head. But now he’s the cutest little kid you’ll ever see.

Oh yeah and you said on twitter that this site shows up on page 1 in searches for “EarthBound” and I want to confirm that it’s the same for me over here too!

IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 24, 2009

Newborns look like lizards. Old people, too.

starman_jr said on May. 24, 2009

Thanks so much for the post Tomato! I picked up the official Mother 2 gamebook w/ poster πŸ˜€ It was mostly because of your description about it – choose your own adventure with stats tracking sounds like it’d be really enjoyable! Does a translation exist that you know of? If not, I might consider doing one, providing it’s not extremely tricky…

Spitball Sparky said on May. 24, 2009

Newborn babies are ugly…once you wash ’em off and wrap ’em in something cute, then they’re adorable.

But still, some babies are just ugly anyway. Some people say “There is no such thing as an ugly baby”, but they’re wrong…I’m sorry, some babies are ugly.

You know what’s even sadder? Some of those ugly babies even grow up to become ugly children, then ugly adults. People tend to marry people similar to themselves, so they marry and reproduce with another ugly person and yet another ugly baby is born. The cycle of repulsion continues for another generation.

Luckily, most babies grow out of any ugliness caused by things such as cone-shaped heads or jaundice and this isn’t a problem.

Mato said on May. 24, 2009

starman_jr: It’s a pretty thick book, so it’d take a lot of work to translate. If I had infinite time and money, it’d be neat to make an online version of it, but there’s just so much that it’s not possible for me. Unless I win the lottery or something πŸ˜›

IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 24, 2009

@Spitball Sparky: Haha. Well put.

Leirin said on May. 24, 2009

I agree, newborn babies are just weird-looking. Well, I’m not too fond of babies period, but they look a lot better one you give them a couple months or so. Interesting that he spoke his mind on that, though. It’s a strange subject. πŸ˜›

Jeffff said on May. 24, 2009

Honeymustard, so you’re the jerk! Congrats on getting that so fast. $150 for the box set is crazy.