EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

May 17th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

Another week of EarthBound stuff here at EB Central!

Many thanks go out to people who’ve sent in interesting news stories, articles, pics, etc. It helps so much. And many thanks to the loyal visitors too. I haven’t been able to update much these past few weeks, between this, work, life, and stuff like this, my time’s been stretched very thin. So everyone’s help and support is awesomely appreciated πŸ˜€

Anyway, that mushiness aside, let’s have a look at what’s happened this past week!

Site News

• Been too busy to do much of anything here. I’m gonna do some M1+2 work later today, I need to get it off my plate before I go insane πŸ˜›
  • I think after I finish the M1+2 stuff and finish my M2 vs. EB stuff, I’ll probably actually work on those MOTHER 3 notes. I tried playing the translation the other day, but I think it’s still too soon for me to go back to it πŸ˜›

EarthBound News

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

The biggest merchandise news this week is probably that that second brand-new copy of EarthBound sold for $386 or so, quite a bit less than the $1000+ the first super brand-new copy sold for. Some complete EarthBound sets sell for that much, so that brand-new status didn’t help very much in the end.

Also, there was a huge drop in the number of EB stuff on eBay this past week. But, on the other hand, a bunch of interesting stuff showed up. Strange how that happened. Anyway, remember that you can check to see what EarthBound/MOTHER stuff is currently on eBay at any time here!

And here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

I also found this on Amazon:

• West Side Story – pretty sure the Onett Sharks gang was inspired by this

Community News

I like to play EarthBound drunk, so I can’t possibly keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

What’s Up With Itoi

• Everyone in Itoi’s office is back from Golden Week and hard at work again on all the things they do. Itoi himself talked about movies and some things from his youth that he’d forgotten, like a pen name he used to want to go by during his student days. He wondered if his life would’ve wound up different had he used a pen name instead of his real one and then talked about how interesting it must be for people with pen names to live two lives side by side.

Upcoming Stuff

I have a scan of some European magazine that talks about EarthBound stuff that I still haven’t put up. Mostly because I still need to format the translation for it first. I’d like to have that up this week though. I’m gonna try to finally have the next M2 vs. EB update this week. Possibly we’ll also check out some EarthBound series music played by a symphony. And then the usual stuff of course πŸ˜€ I think I might start doing weekly polls, since people responded to that last poll so well.

End

If there was an EarthBound movie, I wonder who would play the zombie chick. Bill Cosby definitely has to play Poo’s ancestor.

16 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #18

the retard of epic proportions said on May. 17, 2009

Man, that Masked man cosplay still hasn’t sold?!

Mato said on May. 17, 2009

I guess nobody’s willing to buy a power glove πŸ˜›

AbstractedThought said on May. 17, 2009

Gosh, week 18. I wish I had something significant to say. Looking forward to more Eb vs. M2 and more polls. Keep up the good work Mato!

LucasTizma said on May. 17, 2009

Heh. Just a note, those MOTHER 1+2 keychains are missing three of them. I should know cause I shelled out $250 to get the actual complete set of 6 from the same guy a little while ago. >.<

Nodji said on May. 17, 2009

Man I am really excited for the M1 + 2 translation!

Zaxtur said on May. 17, 2009

Speaking of the M3 translation, any idea when we can expect an updated version of the patch? Even just a ballpark idea?

Mato said on May. 17, 2009

I have no plans at the moment, plus Jeff seems to have vanished into the pit of no free time. It could be a really long time, and probably the only things that would get fixed are the typos and such, most of the hacking fixes I don’t really want to work on anymore. I can barely even remember how the heck I did all that complicated hacking now.

Someone Else said on May. 17, 2009

Mato, Internet Explorer (at least for me) seems to be marking all of your “Weekly Round-Up” posts as a “suspicious website”, saying it might be a phishing site. I wonder why that is?

Mato said on May. 17, 2009

Doesn’t do it for me, and I use both FF and IE. Maybe there’s some security setting or add-on that you have that thinks it’s evil because of all the ebay links or something.

LucasTizma said on May. 17, 2009

Mato, I still think it’s incredible that you took on such low-level hacking to get M3 translated and fixed! Have you considered doing professional video game translation? Or do you prefer general translation work? Where exactly do you work? O.o

Mato said on May. 17, 2009

I already do game translation, though I mostly do anime translation, see here. I work from home, I’m a freelancer.

Darien said on May. 17, 2009

All I know for sure about casting the Earthbound movie is that Everdred would have to be played by Cheech Marin.

MegazeroX said on May. 17, 2009

If they made an Earthbound movie hopefully it wouldn’t end up like dragonball evolution.

Fred McNanner said on May. 18, 2009

What are you talking about Megazero, that film was fantastic!
Ness could be an angsty 19 year old. Paula could have brown hair and would be obsessed with teddy bears, Jeff could be a a college kid looking for his lost brother Tony, and Poo would have blonde hair and speak like a surfer! Five star film!

Leirin said on May. 18, 2009

I’d watch that :0

IronPencilArtist said on May. 24, 2009

Hey!

My friend’s “Earthbounded Paradox” actually made it! That is awesome!

For people who don’t know what it is, it is someone playing Earthbound for the First time, even though they already know all of the story! It is a very interesting read because that is just a weird perspective!