May 6th, 2009 | EarthBound, Videos

A few years ago, G4’s X-Play did a review of Contact for the Nintendo DS. Because of a whole bunch of stuff I’ll go into in a future article, people compare Contact to EarthBound a lot, so this review talks about EarthBound a little bit and pokes fun at EarthBound fans.

I hope there isn’t a region-lock thing on the video, that would be lame.

40 Comments to The EarthBounders

LentFilms said on May. 6, 2009

I found out about Earthbound having a big fan base from this episode of X-Play. Then an about a year later I heard about starmen.net in an issue of Nintendo Power and thought “Hey it’s those Earthbound fans from that X-Play episode!” So I check out the website and became an Earthbound fan!…but I still have not played an Earthbound game. I started playing the fan translation of Mother 3 but then I felt so bad for playing an illegal ROM on my computer that I deleted it before I beat it. All this from watching this one X-Play episode.

LeonardoGolden said on May. 6, 2009

I bought this game because I thought it’d be interesting, and sure, it’s funny, but I got frustrated at its broken battle system.

I might try it out sometime again…

durp said on May. 6, 2009

You shouldn’t feel that bad about playing an illegal rom if the company who made it refuses to sell legitimate copies in your language (especially now that the work has been done for them and they still won’t release it here)

Adam said on May. 6, 2009

After the Mother games, this is my next favorite RPG. The battles may be overly easy, but that doesn’t bother me. I wish this video would load. ๐Ÿ™

santiagoff said on May. 6, 2009

That game sure does look unique o_o

honeymustard said on May. 6, 2009

This is the kind of review we’ll look back on in 10-20 years and laugh at how stupid TV/Internet was back then, like we do with 80s game TV shows.

Cumquat said on May. 6, 2009

Contact is very fun, it gets boring near the end tho.

pooppoop said on May. 6, 2009

so many video and audio files lately
i’m deaf so i can’t enjoy them
actually i wish you’d update your flashing neon tomatoes site more often because pretty much everything there is subtitled.

rayefrenzy said on May. 6, 2009

I remember someone bought me Contact because it “looked like something I’de like.” I hadn’t heard about the whole OMGEARTHBOUNDSEQUEL thing, but when i first loaded it up I was like “DR. ANDONUTS!?” Nope. Guess not.

Never did beat that game. It got boring. Maybe I should play it again…

Snakerope DX said on May. 6, 2009

I enjoyed Contact, not sure if it deserved a 4/5 for uniqueness, but it was definitely fun while it lasted.

The Great Morgil said on May. 6, 2009

I remember this review. That was back in the days when i still watched G4, not like the crap network they turned into now. The review was funny, except for that random and stupid Milli Vanilli reference. I never bought the game, only rented it, and i never got past the first level. What i did experience was still interesting, nonetheless.

SmaMan said on May. 6, 2009

Ah, the old G4. Back when the G stood for Game. Now it just stands for……

… Gerald?

blrasmu said on May. 6, 2009

I’ve been looking for this video. Couldn’t find it on the G4 website…
Thanks for digging this up!

captain_falcon said on May. 6, 2009

Contact does have three or four similarities to EarthBound, like the Andonuts look alike, the use of baseball bats, the modern-ish setting, and the department store full of attacking inanimate objects.

I sure do hope they make part 2 eventually.

the retard of epic proportions said on May. 6, 2009

They made me sad

PKNuMan said on May. 6, 2009

Damn. Looks like fun. Too bad I never saw it in America. Was it even available in America?

Adman said on May. 6, 2009

Cool looking game, but as usual, watching G4 was almost unbearable. One of the only networks that actively bashes, looks down upon, and talks down to the very people who it are supposed to be its main demographic (and still can’t figure out why their ratings are so low).

Can you imagine if Oprah continuously bashed stay at home moms?

_oMeGa_ said on May. 6, 2009

Sequel, sequel, sequel!

Mend said on May. 6, 2009

XD Wow, that was unexpected…I got Contact quite awhile ago but never finished it. I should pick up the DS again, huh?

The biggest thing is the battle system, because I’m crazy about strategy and that battle system is severely lacking of it.

Belasted said on May. 6, 2009

I haven’t watched X-Play in a while. What’s up with Morgan Webb? She was so hot. Now she looks like a cancer patient. I’m not kidding.

Doctor Icarus said on May. 6, 2009

Indeed: Why CAN only Monks dig? I never understood that.

The sad thing about the Earthbounders pic is how accurate it is.

minionofgruumsh said on May. 7, 2009

Hmmmmmm…..I gotta say, and this in my *own* opoinion you don’t have to agree with me, but I was rather disappointed with Contact. I dunno. For me it seemed like a major grind-a-thon just for getting “plot” essential items and to get some of the basic skills for each suit (I never got more than 3 for any one suit, and I *did* beat the game mind you). And as you may have noticed I put the word plot in quotes. This is because I *really* wasn’t impressed with the story-telling, or lack there-of. I kept going through the game telling myself, this is just the confusing beginning, things will be explained later…after all, I don’t even have half the skills for the suit I’m *always* wearing, but finally I got to the part where the credits were rolling and I had no clue what just went on……maybe I got a copy with the story left out? I dunno…

Anyway, let me reiterate, this is my opinion, not yours. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I honestly think someone was either speculating without ever picking the game up, or way off base when they thought to compare it to Earthbound. I honestly think Atlus dropped the ball on a game with TONS of potential (which I tend to think Atlus does….a lot). But like I said, that’s just me. ๐Ÿ˜‰ (after all, there are people out there who HATE Earthbound, I’m just not one of them)

Big A2 said on May. 7, 2009

This video reminds me why I don’t watch X-Play, or any video game related show on TV.

Dr Shlub said on May. 7, 2009

I loved Contact, it was really worth playing

G.Wicks said on May. 7, 2009

Earthbound, a NES game from the 90’s?

This man reads from a card!

SmaMan said on May. 7, 2009

Well technically, Earthbound Zero as we know it was going to be released in 1990. But it’s sequel WAS released in the form of Earthbound… on the SNES. So he’s about half right.

motherfan said on May. 7, 2009

Good thing I don’t have cable…or I’d be watching this crap.

liarxagerate said on May. 7, 2009

wow, could that review guy try any harder? what a mincing, uninformative review.

Master of Ramen said on May. 7, 2009

You want EFFORT?! Look at their Resident Evil DS review- that’s freaking GOLDEN reviewing right there!
[/sarcasm]

GoldenEevee said on May. 9, 2009

I have that game, ands I love how they never mention Mother 3, which is EBs sequel……….

Andrew said on May. 10, 2009

I found their fun-poking quite funny.

12 mr.saturns said on May. 12, 2009

lol, Earthbound did indeed get a sequel. (although it was only released in Japan.)
when was this episode!?!!!??!???!?!!?โ–‘ยงโ”ผโ•šV

SoreThumb said on May. 12, 2009

Last scene; “WHY WON’T YOU GIVE US A SEQUEL?!” lol.

MadDean said on May. 24, 2009

I beat Contact a while ago and really enjoyed the game, sans the after-game grinding and extra stuff available.

But after I beat it and watched the ending, I put aside my DS for a few days…
…and I lost it. Somehow it had disappeared from its usual place in my apartment! And I hadn’t had any visitors. To this day, I haven’t seen hide nor hair of that DS. Maybe the Professor really did go on a journey…?

ShadyHibiscus said on Jul. 7, 2009

Yeah, now we are all like “Why won’t you release it on the VC?” “Why won’t you bring the sequel to America?”

It’s kind of true though, Earthbound’s fanbase is pretty dedicated…

Jeagle101 said on Jul. 29, 2009

WHY WON’T YOU GIVE US A SEQUEL? Hehe, that made me laugh. ๐Ÿ˜›

DrForestr said on Nov. 4, 2009

The ‘G’ stands for ‘game’. The ‘4’ stands for the number of viewers. Ba-zing!

TypeZer0h said on Nov. 15, 2009

HHAHAHAHA SOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!

Luke said on Nov. 6, 2010

Contact dose’nt look that fun, It looks nice but not fun, I’m not really intrested in RPG’S Where you only play as one guy/gal for the intire thing…

Cube the Starman said on Jul. 9, 2011

You know the g4 podcasts just makes me pissed off ESPECIALLY THIS ONE I hate it makes them less popular and possibly will end up with them as poor bums on the street and know one cares about them.

Find Merchandise!