Earthbound Super Nintendo SNES Cartridge Cart Game Earth Bound

May 1st, 2009 | Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

As many probably know by now, EarthBound/MOTHER series creator Shigesato Itoi voiced a character in one of the most classic animes of all time, My Neighbor Totoro / Tonari no Totoro.

I’d never seen a Youtube clip isolating just him, at least until now. So here you go, Itoi the voice actor!

As we already looked at before, Itoi and Studio Ghibli (the super-famous studio that made Totoro) go way back, and this voice acting thing is just one example.

POLL: Ever seen Totoro?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

34 Comments to Shigesato Itoi in Totoro

santiagoff said on May. 1, 2009

Nope. Never seen it. But I should.
Interesting voice acting. Is it me , or those 2 voices just don’t match the characters at all? XD

Mato said on May. 1, 2009

I translate anime for a living and have to listen to Japanese voice acting every day, and I’ll be absolutely honest… Itoi’s not a very good actor, at least from what I’ve seen in this clip. Of course, I wouldn’t expect him to be, since that’s not his normal job.

santiagoff said on May. 1, 2009

BTW Mato , why was the banner for EB Central changed? o.o
Wasn’t it supposed to change according to the seasons or something?

Poe said on May. 1, 2009

Yeah, his voice doesn’t seem to fit the look of the character at all.

santiagoff said on May. 1, 2009

I dunno , Itoi’s voice sounds really weird. I’m so used to his voice and then hearing on a character makes it sound… wrong lol

Mato said on May. 1, 2009

santiagoff: It changes every month. Looks like this month’s is Saturn Valley, but I’m not really digging it for some reason. I guess I got spoiled by Onett ๐Ÿ˜›

santiagoff said on May. 1, 2009

lol saturn valley month. Oh dear , Onett is spoiling our Mato u_u

Covarr said on May. 1, 2009

Itoi should stick to game design. His characterization was mediocre, and his enunciation sloppy.

Necrosaroiii said on May. 1, 2009

If i recall, Miyazaki didn’t WANT the father’s voice to match him, which is why he cast Itoi.

SmaMan said on May. 1, 2009

It also may have been a cool celebrity tie in. Itoi is a big celebrity over there, right?

I agree his voice doesn’t fit too well. And it also seems to work the other way around with people doing his voice. Here’s a clip of when he was on Iron Chef as a judge, and got dubbed for the US version.

PSInesslove93 said on May. 1, 2009

hahah i love this movie! unfortunately i don’t own it, but my friend does, so i went over to her house one day and made her watch it in Japanese with me just so i could hear Shigesato’s voice XD

idk about u guys, but i like how the voice doesn’t match what we would typically think the father’s voice should sound like.

PSInesslove93 said on May. 1, 2009

but i do agree, he should stick to gaming and not really do voice acting >.>

Godaigamer said on May. 1, 2009

Man, watching that without subtitles made me think of when I had to watch that for a Japanese class… I didn’t even realize that it was him (not like I would know what he sounds like anyway).

kratosauron0 said on May. 1, 2009

The tagline (็”Ÿใใ‚) that they used seemed a little strange. “To be?”
Wikipedia translated the tagline as “Live!” Which is more appropriate, or if neither, what would be a good translation of the tagline?

durp said on May. 1, 2009

I love all the Ghibli films. I’ve seen every one, except for Ponyo. I can’t wait to see it in theaters this summer!

DrGlove said on May. 1, 2009

I love how if you haven’t seen this movie, it kinda seems normal until you see the giant cat in the tree, with his creepy smile.

EzraTerminal said on May. 1, 2009

Well, that definitely scares me.

Tiffy said on May. 2, 2009

I know exactly what I’m getting for my mom on the tenth.

An ear of corn with “Mother” carved into it.

winwithlink said on May. 2, 2009

for a second I thought this post was titled “Shigesato Itoi in Toronto”

I was gunna say.. YAY he’s finally decided to come and visit me ๐Ÿ™‚ but then I read it correctly… still cool to see a clip from that movie though

Necrosaroiii said on May. 2, 2009

SmaMan, I wouldn’t say he is a big celebrity,especially back when Totoro was made.

Assorted Astrology-Related Names said on May. 2, 2009

We were watching Totoro in Japanese last year, first in the English dubbed version and after some begging on my part Japanese. Nobody knew why I squealed when I saw that particular character onscreen.

But all we need to hear of him is “Okay desu ka”, really >.>

SmaMan said on May. 5, 2009

Or “I miss ya”

WilliamsBlackDragon said on Jul. 31, 2009

I have this movie on DVD, and now I lost it. ๐Ÿ™ But I never knew Mr. Itoi was a voice actor in Totoro. ๐Ÿ™‚

Amras Felagund said on Aug. 13, 2009

Seems Shigesato Itoi referenced his work on Totoro in MOTHER 3. In an original Japanese trailer (which is on the Totoro Disney DVD), the tagline is shown as something like, “Creatures like this exist in Japan. Maybe.” The word used for maybe is “tabun”, and that same exact word is used in Tanehineri Island to mark an uncertainty about the items you’ve found.

Maybe. lol

It may be a coincidence, but since Itoi already referenced his tagline for “Kiki’s Delivery Service” in Aeolia’s last scene in MOTHER 3… yeah.

Hirayuki said on Oct. 8, 2009

kratosauron0: ็”Ÿใใ‚ใ€‚is the tagline for ใ‚‚ใฎใฎใ‘ๅงซ, or Princess Mononoke. It’s the command form of the verb “to live”, so “Live!” is an accurate (perhaps the most accurate) translation.

Professional game translator here, loving this site. Thanks!

N0 3y3 d33r said on Nov. 18, 2009

LOL at sunflowers behind the mother.

Staarf said on Mar. 31, 2010

Considering I love Totoro, this can only make it a little bit more enjoyable to me if I ever can see it again.

MrSaturn0099 said on Jul. 2, 2010

I love Totoro. This article makes me love it more.

somepartsareme said on Jul. 14, 2010

Sunflowers on the calender. That is all.

darkzzii said on Jul. 15, 2010

wow that movie brings me back… that was the first anime movie i ever saw.

Penguiness said on Jul. 23, 2010

Did Shigesato Itoi just say “doseisan?”

random person said on Jun. 22, 2011

I was to late to watch this video , it says its blocked now.

BigDream said on Aug. 26, 2011