May 19th, 2009 | EarthBound, Events, MOTHER 1, MOTHER 3

The Speed Gamer’s EarthBound / MOTHER series marathon for charity the other day ended with $10,451 in donations, which is apparently the most that any of their charity marathons have brought in. If you helped out, you deserve a donut today!

If you missed it, they played 72 hours of MOTHER 1, EarthBound, and MOTHER 3, and because they had so much time left over, they went back and played through EarthBound again. Also, Fangamer showed up and offered a lot of cool stuff to people who donated. There was even an impromptu auction.

I don’t know what the maximum number of viewers at any one time was, but I heard that it often was around 1000. That’s a lot of people watching other people play old games!

Anyway, the Speed Gamers’ next marathon will be with Metal Gear games in June, and a Final Fantasy marathon in July, also for charity. If you like those games, then mark your calendars!

22 Comments to MOTHER Marathon Raises $10,000+

Anonymous said on May. 19, 2009

Wow, that is absolutely amazing! I couldn’t catch the marathon this past weekend, but I will definitely keep up with their future events. 🙂

Poe said on May. 19, 2009

I’m glad the EB community was able to do some good this time around.

Anonymous said on May. 19, 2009

SO COOOOOOOOL! Maybe Nintendo will pay attention to us NOW!

If we can raise $10,000 for CHARITY, just think what we’ll be spending if they give us a MOTHER game.

Jerkbags.

Thanks to everyone who donated and participated. Y’all are amazing!

Viewtiful_justin said on May. 19, 2009

SO COOOOOOOOL! Maybe Nintendo will pay attention to us NOW!

Jerkbags.

Thanks to everyone who donated and participated. Y’all are amazing!

Aerostella said on May. 19, 2009

The MOTHER fans are truely amazing. I love you guys. ;-;

santiagoff said on May. 19, 2009

Having raised 10.000 is good. But I seriously didn’t like the marathon :X
I thought they were supposed to comment about the game , not other things. So it was basically , the same as having a lets play.
I’d have preferred it to be with earthbound based comment. Still , it was something fun to watch for some minutes. And it raised money for charity. SO that’s a good thing 😀

SmaMan said on May. 19, 2009

Wow, sorry I missed this. Was it a race or anything? I wonder if they used any glitches to skip time

otherhand said on May. 19, 2009

I caught a little bit of it, and I’m quite impressed to see such massive fundraisery toward a good cause from the EB community. (and disappointed I didn’t have the cash on hand to participate… sigh, must find job)

CrouchingMouse said on May. 19, 2009

I’m amazed they were able to raise so much money! Makes me proud to be a Mother fan (even though I couldn’t donate). Hopefully this makes up a little for last year’s fiasco.

Leirin said on May. 19, 2009

Wow, very cool. I’m really surprised this is some of the most they’ve made in one of their charities. Great work everyone! I watched them most of the way, but I didn’t know they would surpass 10,000 bucks in a relatively short amount of time. I’m quite impressed.

Hejiru said on May. 19, 2009

Yeah, wow! That’s awesome!
CAN YOU HEAR US NOW, NINTENDO????

MegazeroX said on May. 19, 2009

You should tell what they gave away Mato. If anyone is wondering now they acutioned off a 3 figurines about 2 and a half inches tall which were a starman, starmen dx, and a mani mani statue. In a raffle they gave away their mother marathon banner. They also gave away a figurine of a clayman which I dont know how it was given away. The figurines were all hand made by the way.

GhostSonic said on May. 19, 2009

SmaMan: No “glitches”, unless you count in EB0 “purposely getting a game over after loosing teddy so you don’t have to reclimb Mt. Itoi” as a glich, it wasn’t a race, it was just them playing the games in order.

Will said on May. 19, 2009

@santiagoff

do you really think anyone can talk about mother for 72 straight hours?

anyway, i really enjoyed the marathon. I was able to get a set of fangamer pins, some posters, and a t-shirt!

santiagoff said on May. 19, 2009

@Will: …yeah , does seem impractical. I’m still quite happy with what was achieved. Actually , I’m very happy o_o

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on May. 19, 2009

This news needs to spread across the net, and perhaps to Nintendo directly!

Great job, everyone. I’m glad I helped out.

wants_latios_lots said on May. 20, 2009

It might spread to Nintendo, but they’ll never do anything about it. I’m so glad someone found a use for sitting around for three days playing video games!

PKNuMan said on May. 20, 2009

It’s OVER 9000!!!!

nmufred said on May. 21, 2009

As a TSG member, I wanted to thank those who came from the starmen.net community to participate in the marathon. Thank you!

[…] (not counting future replays!). This is definitely an RPG series worthy of the most fervent fanbase I’ve […]

blahblah said on Jul. 10, 2010

My school does theese sometimes but we donate alot more(I don’t, the other guys do) but we get CRAPPY prizes.

Zoom! said on Aug. 21, 2011

Itoi is probaly smiling about this

Find Merchandise!