MOTHER 2 EARTHBOUND DOSEISAN MR SATURN  & GEPPU  MASTER BELCH PLUSH DOLL JP NEW

May 25th, 2009 | MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

There’s a glitch in MOTHER 1 with the Bread Crumbs item that can help you skip huge parts of the game. I think the glitch was fixed in EarthBound Zero and MOTHER 1+2, though. For details, see here and here.

Anyway, pirohiko, who you might remember also finished EarthBound in an hour, made a TAS video for MOTHER 1 that’s only 25 minutes 😯

Click here to see MOTHER 1 completed in 25 minutes!

I’d heard of the bread crumb glitch before, but I didn’t know it could be used like that. I wonder what kind of crazy TASs could be made for MOTHER 3 😀

38 Comments to MOTHER 1 Speedrun: 25 Minutes!

IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 25, 2009

How do people discover these things?!

eb0ebm3 said on May. 25, 2009

wow…just wow.. @IWontGetOvertheDam: I was thinking the same thing

Saturnome said on May. 25, 2009

SamWibatt said on May. 25, 2009

What Saturnome said – in 25 minutes, I can barely get to Podunk for all the random encounters.

linkdude20002001 said on May. 25, 2009

@Saturnome: In the Famicom and NES versions of Mother, opening the command box resets the set number of steps it takes for a battle to occur. As for how Anna beat the Starmen… She was wearing the Franklin Badge, which reflects PK Beam.

sticktendo said on May. 25, 2009

I just finished watching it. It’s amazing all he used was Ana in the end.

KingDarian said on May. 25, 2009

Wow, that’s glitchy. I did not know a lvl 10 character could stand up to Giegue on their own. This is amazing.

Starwolf_UK said on May. 25, 2009

“What is his trick to avoid random battles and how did he got through the Starmen?”
The random encounters was probably doing something to reset the step counter (number of steps till random battle) a step before the random encounter. Also, luck manipulating to make the step counter a larger value.

The Starmen was the Franklin Badge and manipulating them to use PK Beam (which was an instant kill spell in the original Mother that the Franklin Badge reflects).

Also of interest is this TAS of the US version (which due to no breadcrum glitch has to take a different route):
There is a video of this here:

LucasTizma said on May. 25, 2009

LOL Poor Ana. Just recruited and had to take out Giegue all on her own minutes later. XD

LucasTizma said on May. 25, 2009

What I don’t get was how Ana was going first against Giegue sometimes…

Mato said on May. 25, 2009

TASs use things like luck manipulation to try to get the best possible outcomes, so that’s probably what some of you are seeing.

LucasTizma said on May. 25, 2009

How were they manipulating luck in this run?

Mato said on May. 25, 2009

Do you know what a TAS is? If not, see here.

In this particular run, enemies were avoided by manipulating luck, going first when possible was probably done by manipulating luck, among other things.

EarthBoundRules said on May. 25, 2009

Its funny how half of the playthrough is the final battle. Heh.

Spitball Sparky said on May. 25, 2009

Interesting to see the “gray” unused areas of the map…I’ve always been curious about those sections.

Megazerox said on May. 25, 2009

Just finished watching it. Wow, I like how it is still there is still snowy ground even after he goes way off the map of the area.

LucasTizma said on May. 25, 2009

Yeah, I’m aware of what TASs are, and I knew about the menu trick to reset battle encounter steps, but I was curious of any other strategies that were being used to manipulate luck. Really cool run. 🙂

PK Rockin said on May. 25, 2009

weird. the graphics are all smooth for some reason…

LucasTizma said on May. 25, 2009

@PK Rockin: The player is using a software filter in his emulator to create that effect. Most of them just smooth the graphics. I typically don’t like using them as I feel they de-“retro”-fy the game…but the one he used was kinda nice.

Jungyin said on May. 25, 2009

Some emulators have the option to filter the graphics for higher resolutions. All of them except interpolation/TV mode and RF simulation look ugly in my opinion.

crashpro3 said on May. 25, 2009

It’s an emulator, so you can also pump up the graphics to the max!

santiagoff said on May. 25, 2009

PK Rockin: That’s because of the flash player , I believe.

Anyway , I love TAS runs.

rayefrenzy said on May. 25, 2009

longest. battle. evar.

LucasTizma said on May. 26, 2009

@santiagoff: Actually, it’s because of the emulator he’s using, not Flash. 😀 But I agree: TASs are amazing. 🙂

nmufred said on May. 26, 2009

And all of this with no running, wow!

Caleb, Of Asui said on May. 26, 2009

“PLAYER: NO NAME” LoL, That’s hilarious.

Claus said on May. 26, 2009

It’s amazing what some people could do in the MOTHER series.

Man, I wish there was a translation of the original MOTHER so US players could experience the game like Japan did without the changes.

EB_Master said on May. 29, 2009

Well, that was terrifying.

Claus said on May. 31, 2009

Wait, how did he get all the 8 melodies?

SoreThumb said on Jun. 2, 2009

You know what shocked me?
The Player no name, AND the … I never knew that other ending existed. Whoah. Did they add in the ending in the US version, or is that the ending you get without Loid?

Claus said on Jun. 12, 2009

No, that was the ending of the famicom version. They extended it in EB0.

Joshua Johnson said on Jun. 25, 2009

I think It’s fake. the text and the outline of the characters are obviously more then 8-bit capability. plus, how was he e not running into enemy’s. I think hacked or cheated

Mato said on Jun. 25, 2009

Emulators come with lots of graphic filters to smooth things out like that. People tend to like using filters rather than as-is. It’s clearly a real TAS and not some kind of flash animation or something.

And the lack of enemies is what a TAS is all about. By manipulating luck, you string best-possible-scenarios one after the other. If you’re not familiar with what a TAS is, then see here.

Shamu said on Jul. 19, 2009

yeah, the bread crumb glitch.
it’s really common in Nico Nico douga.
the glitch it also possible to defeat Giegue alone without even getting all the melodies.

Shamu said on Jul. 19, 2009

*the glitch is possible.

A fan said on Dec. 12, 2009

Nice.

Ricardo said on Jan. 18, 2010

It’s impossible to beat Guiegue without the melodies. Without of them, you can’t sing. And you know what happens when you sing in front of Guiegue…

Rukas said on Nov. 22, 2010

@Claus Do you know why Giegue attacks every turn in the battle? Thats because Itoi was rushing at that point to get the game done. The “Sing” command loads after Giegue is done talking because the game assumes you have them.