May 28th, 2009 | EarthBound, Fan Games

A while back, ZaphodBee started on a small game called Save Mr. Saturn. You basically have to go around and collect Mr. Saturns and then safely return them to their homes, while EarthBound enemies try to chase you and drain your HP.

katiekurick was kind enough to record a video of it in action:

I don’t know if the game is in its final final form or not, but you can check out the playable demos here. Also, there’s a version for Windows AND a version for Macs, so you Mac folks don’t have to complain this time 😛

It’s also possible to make custom levels and share them, so check that out too!

23 Comments to Fan Game: Save Mr. Saturn

Rockin'Ness said on May. 28, 2009

Wow, this looks cool!

IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 28, 2009

Heh. A while back Zaphod gave me a demo for this game. I still have it on my computer and play it.

Rosecloud said on May. 28, 2009

Looks funny XD
I saw a similar video with Jeff playgame

santiagoff said on May. 28, 2009

It is cool… but need more levels XD

ZaphodBee said on May. 28, 2009

Wow! I didn’t realize anyone was all that interested in this!

For the record, the version shown here/available has a serious bug in that I accidentally left a debugging option turned on that causes all of the enemies to move at 10% of their speed.

A lot of progress has been made in the game since I posted that stuff, but I ran into two roadblocks.
A: School, getting on break now, expect great things!
B: Testing with some level designers, I noticed a usability issue in the basic design of the levels/maps. I designed it to be very powerful and easily extensible… but it simply takes too much work for your average level designer to get good results. Currently I’m building a very revamped map system more closely based on that of Earthbound. Check the last screenshot posted on that thread for a sneak preview 😉

santiagoff said on May. 28, 2009

BTW Mato , which is the next town for the layout? ^^

ZaphodBee said on May. 28, 2009

Woah, ninja’d. I agree that this game needs more levels, the issue is I’m not particularly interested in making them, I plan to make it easy enough to build and trade levels so that users can make their own, as well as to build a small team of dedicated level designers to build a nice default level set for the final release. The only volunteer I’ve has so far is CrazyAnts, who has helped me out a lot with testing by experimenting with level design. Seeing that people are actually interested in this, I’ll release a much more advanced demo within the next few weeks.

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on May. 28, 2009

lol, naked Ness.

rayefrenzy said on May. 28, 2009

Maybe the macfags won’t complain, BUT US LINUX USERS WONT KEEP QUIET!!! WHO’S WITH ME!?

*chirp* *chirp*

…damn…

ZaphodBee said on May. 28, 2009

Code is fully cross-platform and will run on linux. Didn’t see enough demand to make a linux demo, but the final release will certainly include a linux version 😀

Che Guevara Spits On Your Photographical Principles said on May. 29, 2009

this looks fun

ezrasmith said on May. 29, 2009

More proof Earthbound has latent homosexual themes.

Earthbound Zero said on May. 29, 2009

@ezrasmith

What’s that supposed to mean?…

Adam said on May. 29, 2009

Earthbound meets The Last Guy. Cool!

EzraSmith said on May. 29, 2009

I mean a naked Ness with Mr. Saturns is just more proof of the homosexual themes present in Earthbound. There is a open homo character in of all places, England in the game.

ScottKO said on May. 29, 2009

Reminds of Flicky…

Krennthief said on May. 29, 2009

Ness just likes streaking… Okay, though! That’s good for him… o.o

DiamondizedLucas said on May. 29, 2009

ScottKO: I think you’re right, the gameplay looks as though some elements were taken from Flicky.

ZaphodBee said on May. 29, 2009

For the record, when I first designed this little game I had never even heard of Flicky, but I can see where you get the idea that it was based on it.

MOTHERMoondance-- said on Jul. 23, 2009

Ness is quite the Nr. Staurn in the pic of the vid.

blahblah said on Jul. 8, 2010

Ness
Paula
Jeff
Poo
Robot
Naked Ness
Hippie
Guy who stays at hospital and heals you and stuff
Fobby!!!!!!! THUMBS UP 4 FOBBY!!!!!
Zombie
Crocodile
(wish there was a Tenda though…)

we shy…

Alex said on Sep. 26, 2011

I wanna play game! ;_;

Buster The Fox said on Dec. 5, 2012

Reminds me of that Genesis game called Flicky… *Checks other comments* …And it seems I am not alone. Not a bad idea if the enemies create enough of a challenge. Don’t want it to be TOO easy, right? 😉