Earthbound Super Nintendo Snes Cleaned & Tested

May 11th, 2009 | Fan Games

Complete EarthBound fangames are a real rarity, so it’s awesome whenever one is released 😀 The latest one is called Cognitive Dissonance, and it’s been in the works for a long time indeed.

Taken straight from the Cognitive Dissonance site:

It takes place between the first and second games in the series: after Giegue’s first defeat yet before Ness’s adventure.

It tells a story of Giegue’s descent into madness and the wandering band of aliens who once protected the Apple of Enlightenment, in a chapter-based format similar to Mother 3.

It looks interesting and there’s definitely been a ton of time and work put into it, so check it out!

42 Comments to Fan Game: Cognitive Dissonance

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on May. 11, 2009

Quite awesome…

reluctantgamer said on May. 11, 2009

I don’t suppose there’s a Macintosh version…I downloaded it only to discover the dreaded .exe extension which for us Apple adherents is equivalent to a big red X.

It’s not a ROM, so this is not a hack, yes? Is it based on the Earthbound engine or is it something else?

santiagoff said on May. 11, 2009

@reluctant: PRG MAKER 2003 I think.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 11, 2009

Know what’s awesome? Owning a Mac and not being able to play what looks to be a truly amazing game. Someone should do a Let’s Play of it on YouTube…

Edracon said on May. 11, 2009

I cant read the text when in game. and It’s automatically in FullScreen mode. I can’t put it in windowed mode.

Anonymous said on May. 11, 2009

Wait how do you open it or play it? It’s only a rar file.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 11, 2009

@Anon: You need a program to open it. If you’re on Windows, try BitZipper. If on a Mac, use StuffIt.

HossTehMaster said on May. 11, 2009

Thanks

PKNuMan said on May. 11, 2009

Can’t play it… I got a mac…

*cries*

blahmoomoo said on May. 11, 2009

Edracon: look at the bottom of the downloads page. It tells you about how to fix the font.

Dr Shlub said on May. 11, 2009

Was an awesome game, may do an LP…

Cafechan said on May. 11, 2009

Wahhhhh, I’m on a Mac… it looks so cool, too…

santiagoff said on May. 11, 2009

I can’t stand the gameplay >,<
Sucks coz it seemed really good… oh well.

tiradefaction said on May. 11, 2009

"Professional" "Dragoon", "Buttz" said on May. 11, 2009

oh, this looks nice. i hope it’s as funny as it ought to be too!

otherhand said on May. 11, 2009

Thanks for the posting! CogDis project lead here.

My sentiments go out to all the Mac folk :/ Perhaps you could look into the Boot Camp software, but that’s kinda difficult or so I gather.

I was really looking forward to Crimson Echoes and considered them my ‘neighbors’ in a way, so it’s quite a shame what happened there.

Oh yeah, and you can play windowed by pressing F4 ingame!

zedrein said on May. 11, 2009

Played it. Beat it. Now I am pretty much gonna’ dance…

*pops in tape of “Just Dance” by Jamiroquai*

Oh yeah, feel that funky rhythm!

TBird said on May. 11, 2009

“How ironic this is to come out just as Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes was C&D’d. Thank god Nintendo is less assholish.”

Boy it’s been awhile since I’ve seen a comment like that on an EarthBound site.

Edracon said on May. 11, 2009

ok.. text is fixed… Just played through what I think was the intro (with mr. saturn and all that)… Don’t like the gameplay, it has the annoying “PokeMon” grid movement, and the battle system is like chrono trigger.. which IMO had a horrible battle system. Now I’m sad, cause I can’t get past my gameplay petpeeves. xD

LucasTizma said on May. 11, 2009

LOL Yeah, I’m kinda picky, so I would expect it to be REALLY close to how the other MOTHER games play. But nevertheless, this is a really impressive effort! I love how creative MOTHER fans are!

wants_latios_lots said on May. 11, 2009

Mac people, can’t you just run Windows on it? That’ll let you run .exe stuff.

tiradefaction said on May. 12, 2009

“Boy it’s been awhile since I’ve seen a comment like that on an EarthBound site.”

Lol, well yeah, I understand what you mean, but I think you can understand what I meant on the subject of fan material.

Or am I mistaken?

Teal said on May. 12, 2009

Wow I like this game. It’s awesome playing as a mook for some reason, I named mine Toejam. Also kinda takes me back to the Pokemon and SNES Final Fantasy games with the 4 direction movement and walking speed. I wonder if you get a bike or a chocobo to ride on later in the game. XD

Awesome work on the game!

Lothis said on May. 12, 2009

I wish you could have renamed Col. Saturn. I would have named him Phil. As soon as I saw the Mr. Saturn with the top hat I immediately thought of the fan art for last year’s MOTHER marathon at The Speed Gamers where someone drew Phil as a Mr. Saturn…

LoneFalcon001 said on May. 12, 2009

Awesome game, and props for actually finishing and releasing it. Too many fan games just get abandoned part way through (especially of the EarthBound variety) but you actually inspired me to finish a game I have been working on for the past few years on and off. Though looking over the plot, it needs a complete overhaul, and RPG Maker VX is so shiny and new I can’t bring myself to use 2003 anymore lol.

But anyway, great job on a great game.

Dadalama said on May. 12, 2009

@LoneFalcon001
I’d get XP if you’re doing a mother fangame. VX doesn’t have as much graphic flexibility.

Fluteboy said on May. 12, 2009

I actually like the gameplay. It reminds me of FF3, which is my fav. I like to think of it as if Final Fantasy and Earthbound had a lovechild during the snes days, this would be it.

hollow leviathan said on May. 13, 2009

As for playing it on a mac, assuming you have the unix based macOS, try running it via WINE?

Mushrooman said on May. 13, 2009

Dang…This is a good fangame for RPG maker, This goes up there with Kirby Warrior: DE in quality

Leirin said on May. 14, 2009

4th-D Slip is going to make a return in this game? I can tell it’s already awesome. :O Too bad I run a Mac.

Steve said on May. 18, 2009

Hey, Macs are great, but who is shocked about this? Say what you will about the bad things about Windows, but if you’re making a fan game, you probably don’t have the resources (or the motivation) to code/test on multiple platforms. OF COURSE it’s going to be on Windows, far more people use Windows than any other platform. To those of you who have an Intel-based mac, you can have a Windows partition on there.

MegazeroX said on May. 21, 2009

Warning Spoilers! Can someone tell me how the UFO joined me? On Chapter 1 I beat the chapter boss with just col. saturn and the mook. I did the starman chapter and now on the bowfest the UFO appeared and he is somehow with us. I think I missed something. Help!

MegazeroX said on May. 22, 2009

@IWontGetOverTheDam Yeah, mabey it is chugga conroys next LP!

LUCKYDAYINHELL said on Jun. 17, 2009

This really is an epic fangame. As an official game, it wouldn’t stand, but as fangames go, it’s brilliant. It needs more publicity; it really is worth playing.

athingthathappened said on Jun. 17, 2009

@MegazeroX
No, it’s not explained, he just appears there, playing with the band. It might be explained later; I’m only in Thundertown/Snow-whatever.

athingthathappened said on Jun. 17, 2009

@LUCKYDAYINHELL
I’ve been trying to work out what the song in Thundertown is for ages.
Lucky Day in Hell, by Eels.

Joshua Johnson said on Jul. 19, 2009

how do I play it? what program do I need to play it?

A.R.M. said on Jul. 28, 2009

Waahhh……

I have a PowerPC Mac.

Is this game lightweight enough that it would run reasonably if I ran Windows in an emulator?

Nyx said on Feb. 20, 2012

Seems light enough……….

Edensol said on Jan. 30, 2013

Every time I try to run the setup file from within the rar file, I get a message that the file is corrupt. I’ve re-downloaded it half a dozen times and I’ve tried opening it with 2 different unzip programs, but to no avail. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Mato said on Jan. 30, 2013

I get it too, I dunno why.

TheJ said on Jun. 13, 2013

same y wont it work? q.q