May 8th, 2009 | MOTHER 1, MOTHER 4, Videos

I love me some Game Center CX, so it was cool when someone told me about an EarthBound-related thing in one episode of it.

After asking for help snagging the video file (thanks to the many people who helped!), I subbed it into English and put it online. Here you go!

It’d be cool if Arino played one of the MOTHER games at some point, but I somehow don’t think it’ll happen. Itoi and Arino are friends though (see here, where he even asks Itoi for a MOTHER 4), so maybe it could happen, though.

20 Comments to EarthBound Teachings

Freakservo said on May. 8, 2009

Glad you enjoyed the clip! Game Center CX is a show I watch religiously!

I’ll be sure to let you know if any more Mother-related material pops up on the program.

-TF

Jotokun said on May. 8, 2009

I would take my friends to Magicant, but I dont know how to do that…:(

…and I certainly wouldnt buy them anything.

Hejiru said on May. 8, 2009

Why does this have a Mother 4 tag?

Mato said on May. 8, 2009

Because I mention something about MOTHER 4 in the post.

Alpha Knight said on May. 8, 2009

that is so deep.
it was about buying items and wow… just wow

_oMeGa_ said on May. 8, 2009

/life complete

santiagoff said on May. 8, 2009

that was bizarre o_o

Difegue said on May. 8, 2009

I just started watching the show, and it’s really something great. Didn’t knew Arino and Itoi were friends, though.

zedrein said on May. 8, 2009

My God, his voice.

HAK2 said on May. 9, 2009

Im taking my friends to magicant.

they are very weak, you see

now if only i could find a cave with an XX shell in it…

Stuffgamer1 said on May. 9, 2009

I would love to watch that show if it was in a format I could understand.

As it stands, however, just about all I know about it is connected to Retro Game Challenge on DS, since that game is somehow related to the show (Arino is the main non-player character in the game, at least).

Speaking of which, I strongly urge those who have a DS but have not yet purchased this game to do so! It’s a really cool game for retro-style geeks, and sales are needed to ensure the localization of the 16-bit sequel!
source: http://ds.nintendolife.com/news/2009/05/retro_game_challenge_sequel_localization_looking_dire

HossTehMaster said on May. 11, 2009

HAK2: Just use the onxy hook. Remeber to find those swimming cats too.

LucasTizma said on May. 11, 2009

LOLOLOL “Is it really okay to make a real priest do this?”

ALSO, I want that MOTHER guide! O.o I can’t remember if it’s on the list of my recently-won Y! Auctions Japan auctions.

Natalis said on May. 12, 2009

Whoa, I’m playing Mother now, so that’s quite helpful.

Literally.

SoreThumb said on May. 12, 2009

The Gamecenter CX games are so great. They helped inspire my interest in the series, which is justas brilliant.

Glad to see you posting here– going to check that Mother 4 link :3

LucasTizma said on May. 12, 2009

Mato, is it typical to “tidy” up katakana like you did? (e.g., “goods” = “items”) I always thought that if katakana was used, it was meant to kind of be thrown in to the translation as is. Is it just a matter of making it more understandable or natural sounding?

Mato said on May. 12, 2009

A beginner’s pitfall is that if something is in katakana it MUST be the English equivalent in translation. In this case, “goods” would’ve done just as well, but I decided to go with “items” for the sake of slightly extra clarity and for natural flow, at least according to my preferences.

Of course, if you’re just learning the language, especially in a class or with a teacher, it’s not wise to deviate from the katakana too much. At least not until higher levels where you have a fuller grasp of the language and the nuances. Otherwise you’ll get marked off or get the wrong ideas about things early on.

LucasTizma said on May. 13, 2009

Cool Thanks for the clarification!

killa400 said on May. 15, 2009

is earthbound zero remake almost done

Tack Angel said on May. 17, 2009

Gamecenter CX is currently being subbed by http://www.tvnihon.com

It’s not their top priority though, so CX releases are in the span of months instead of weeks like the weekly shows they do.

They’ve gotten the season 1 of Gamecenter CX complete and are on episode 5 of season 2 currently.

Good show.