PSI Piano Omega
viniciuskps sent this in the other day. It’s a scan from Nintendo World Brazil #71, from July 2004. In it, it shows some of the differences between EarthBound and MOTHER 2.
Click to enlarginate
Here’s viniciuskps’s translation:
Did you know about this?
Of course you didn’t!
When released in different countries, the games are not just translated, but also adapted. Check out the changes made in Earthbound, known as Mother 2 in Japan.
- All the bars were transformed into cafes. Have you ever seen kids going to bars? Doesn’t seem like a good idea at all, at least not for Nintendo.
- In place of alcohol, people would get alucinated with cold coffee in Mother 2. It seems like the Big N had something against coffee.
- If the members of the carpainters cult didn’t have a fluf on their hats and were kept with the letters HH (which stands for Happy Happy, the name of the village), they would look like members from Ku Klux Klan.
- These delivery trucks had the word Come above a wave-shaped line. In Earthbound, the logo was changed to a jumping man figure. It was better not to mess with Coca-Cola.
I’m not sure what “alucinated” means, but I think I get the general idea 😛
Not surprisingly, the pics used in this article were taken straight from my old site that compared the two games. The new version of said site is here, but you can see the old pics used here, here, and here.
Other Related Posts:
6 Comments to EarthBound in Nintendo World Brazil
Featured Item on eBay:
EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic
- James: Not to be that guy, buuuuuut–“fan-uh-t ic.” I guess someone over at Fangamer had a little brain fart. THAT SAID, I’m...